Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black buggies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Black buggies Reply with quote

I'm starting to research and plan my next build. It will be a manxter dual sport, and I have my heart set on black. I spoke with Winnie and she highly advised against black gel coat. She said that the color could cause the fiberglass to crack/ seperate if exposed to too much sun. I also spoke to another gentleman with a black gel coat buggy that confirmed this.

I wanted to question those of you out there that have black PAINTED buggies to see if you have any similar concerns. Since my heart is so set on black, I was thinking that I could order the kit in primer and have it painted black. This car will be about 80-90 percent on road and 10-20 percent offroad. I am aware of the concern of keeping a black car looking clean and still want proceed.

It may be worth mentioning that I live in Southern California where it gets somewhat hot. 100 max. The car will be garages when not in use. Thanks.
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Black Reply with quote

I love Black , but if you have spoke to Scott Drolet , who has the Beautiful black Manxter , he will tell you that he is think of repainting it and to pick a different color , besides how it shows every scratch and does spider very easily , But I would go with what you like , there are not many black Buggies out there ! Good luck!

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I spoke with Scott. I have decided against black gel coat already (his is gel coat), but honestly I am hoping that black paint will produce a different result.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street, It's an interesting question.. because DONZI and other hot boats have been shot Black since the 60's. But gelcoat is waaaay porous. Probably better shooting a single stage catalyzed urethane or a quality clear over base black. Here's bit of blurb from HOC.

"USC01 Kosmic Urethane Show Klear is the finest Klear House of Kolor has ever produced. Using state of the art polymer technology, we have developed a klear with excellent chemical, fuel, and water resistance, as well as the highest UV protection in the industry. As with all House of Kolor Klear products USC01 has three times the UV blocking capability when compared to standard automotive clear products. This is especially important when finishing Kandy's, Basecoats, and specialty products." ..bla-bla.

And remember to run with your headlights at all times. ..small dark object on the highway.

Jim
Manx #2614
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read. I was thinking that there is probably a paint product that would help with UV rays.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted my Manx HOK Sunset Pearl in May 2014. And due to budget constraints, I went with a cheaper clear. Mine only sees sun when it is driven, about 10,000 miles since the middle of June this year. I guess around 6 to 7 total weeks of sun.

Before MOTB '14 in October, I changed out my tail lights and put on the Fire tail light housings dipped by TJ Kustoms. Upon removing the chrome housings, I could see color fade in that short period of time. (I will just blame it on the three days spent in So Cal at Big Bear Wink )

This goes for anyone painting a buggy, I recommend spending the extra to get the best clear possible.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a buggy that I owned in the past. I saw it a few months ago and the paint still looked good after 10 years. But it is up here in Oregon where it rains most of the year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Driftin on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NA

Last edited by BL3Manx on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 pm; edited 5 times in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't surfnc come across an original black gelcoat Manx body last year?
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on spending the appropriate money to have an extra couple coats of clear applied. I want the finish to look deep and have an ability to color sand and buff out at some point.

A car cover will also be an investment in longevity that I plan on making.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically use right at 1 gallon of clear on the buggy's I paint.

Buy a top shelf cover. The cheap units will scuff the paint.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when i build another buggy im going with a matte black with some kind of lime green stripe,1 racing stripe or 2, or off set, just depends what body type. A Manx would look good with all the smooth lines.
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the brave will paint a buggy black, it's not a cracking issue at all that's just a weak excuse. No one wants to do black because its a finish that will show every minor flaw like a magnifying glass.

You want to spend a lot of extra time with the long sanding boards, epoxy primer and high fill poly primers before the top coats.

Google it, but there's a thousand or so black Speedsters replicas out there, some gel coat but most of them are painted for better finish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Google it, but there's a thousand or so black Speedsters replicas out there, some gel coat but most of them are painted for better finish.

Intermeccanica actually casts the fiberglass bodies for their Speedsters in just a primer gell coat. Then after the body cures out, they put them in a oven and cook them. This second step off gasses the small percentage of left over volitales and basically makes the body shrink/warp all it is going to. Then it goes through a rigorous polyester primer and sanding sequence to get the body perfect. Then they spray it.

Their black speedster body's look spot on perfect. And the price reflects it too.

bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, yes the IM's are in the stratosphere of Speedster replicars and can approach $100k these days if you can believe that, but here's a buggy I'm all too familiar with.

Pete R's Deserter Series One that he has owned since the 70's and it's BLACK, and has been for years, owner painted.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glamis Addict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bim55 wrote:
Only the brave will paint a buggy black, it's not a cracking issue at all that's just a weak excuse. No one wants to do black because its a finish that will show every minor flaw like a magnifying glass.

This is the real answer right here.No matter the color,if its cracking because of heat it wasn't properly catalyzed when built or pulled from the mold "green",meaning before it cured properly.

We spray black,dark purple(which looks black)dark green(which looks black in low light) often in the west coast boat building world.It doesn't crack any more or less than any other color.

Black gelcoat will get chalky in time from the sun.The easy solution to the UV issue is a uv protectant clear applied in the mold before the black.Same process as when they shoot a flake car.It will keep the black from oxidation indefinitely if you take care of it and keep it waxed.

It's easy enough to do.
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. I have seen plenty of black boats. Keep in mind that this will be a manxter body purchase and I will not have control over the manufacturing process though it doesn't hurt to request.

Has anyone ever tried to spray a uv protectant clear over a gel coat body to better protect it and maybe improve the look?
Glamis Addict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street buggy,no external clear would be needed if the clear UV gelcoat is used as the first coat in the mold of your build.
Check your pm box shortly.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that the black Manxter does get warmer then my orange colored one even in 70F degree weather. Scott's does get warmer. In 100F weather it may burn bare skin. With a boat I sure the water does help it keep cooler than being on asphalt pavement.
Since you are using a Subaru, you may want to think about using A/C in it. I keep thinking about with mine. I have a heater which works well in the cold weather I ran into across the USA. Here in the Sacramento Valley it gets hot in the summer. I would have to do some fabrication as to where the A/C pump would mount. Nothing that a little figuring this winter could not solve.
Do you plan on using power steering on your Dual Sport? I have it on mine and I like it. Really helps in the slow rocky trails.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plans for power steering , but I have thought about AC. I will have to do some research as I really have no idea how to accomplish this. Heat for the winter too. I plan on using this vehicle a lot and that means driving the family around in it at time. I would like to keep everybody comfortable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: