Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ground Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ground Issue Reply with quote

First, love my Oval (had it about a month) and enjoy the constant search for perfection. We love her, and aptly named her the 'Kuro' Bug (my Dad is responsible - kuro = black in Japanese, and he thinks he's a samuri)...btw, original 6v system, both on the oval and my father.

She's playing electrical games, and I hope to find some clues from the forum:
- cold start issue, headlights only on after using the hi beam switch, and the door open light sporadic.

I put in a new starter, and solved (temporarily) the cold start, by running a second ground from the battery neg to the starter bolt. Helped tremendously. Chased down and cleaned + newly stripped the wires to the hi beam switch, low beams are now cooperating. Somewhere in all that my right rear taillight started working again also. Ha!

GOT MY FIRST CLUE TODAY: while removing the hi beam switch, I am careful, so pulled the neg off the battery. All done with the switch, put everything back, and noted the starter not cooperating as well as the door light switch is kaput. Back to the battery...found I pulled off my new ground wire while tightening the battery cable. Put it back on, great starter action as well as the door light magically appears.

For a beer : I have a ground problem somewhere...any clues where to start???

I have cleaned and religiously the ignition switch, light switch, hi beam switch, and both the 4 & 2 fuse boxes back to shininess.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a ground strap between transmission amd body?
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Isn't there a ground strap between transmission amd body?

Theres the large braided copper ground from transmission to body, the battery ground, and the ground on the generator strap. (That's all I know of?)
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent an hour taking the strap off, making all shiny, and ensuring it is tightly back on. Cant say it was loose, or very dirty to start with. But, item is now checked off. Starts well, however the open door light is still not back on, but does work if I turn it to the 'on' position. (which is down).

chasing Gremlins....
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have multiple, unrelated electrical problems. Luckily beetle electrics areas simple as they get.

You have removed and cleaned both the battery and the transmission ground strap, right? If you still need the extra ground strap, get a new negative battery cable and try that. Let's get some pictures up of the cables and bypass too.

The high beams can be tested by looking for voltages down at the dimmer foot button. You need a voltmeter to do this efficiently. It's possible to do these tests with bailing wire and tape if you are an electrician but it's a lot easier to buy the tool vs the craft!

The door lamp gets 6/12V from the fuse box and is turned on by grounding through a switch at the door ( he thinks, if it's like 60s Bugs) it's common for the ground switch to go intermittent. Voltmeter to confirm presence if steady 12 VDC at lamp, ohmmeter to confirm a good ground between other side of bulb and door with door open. When you use a voltmeter in ohmmeter mode, all voltage must be removed....either pull fuse or pull lamp. Test for 6/12 VDC and confirm 0 volts before switching to ohms and resistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: