Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will using rattle can gloss screw up my pro paint job plans?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Will using rattle can gloss screw up my pro paint job plans? Reply with quote

I am working on a '63 bug and pretty much have the car covered in primer but would like to cover it with rattle can spray to help protect the primer and also to identify any imperfections in the bodywork. it's going to take a few months before I can arrange to get it painted professionally. Rattle can is my short term solution but I don't want it to mess up the body when the professional paint job is performed. Any thoughts with this approach?

Thanks for the comments.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it. Assuming you used a 2 part primer, there is a decent amount of protection there. You will need to rescuff the primer right before painting to get a fresh surface and not paint over weathering/oxidation. Rattle can paints can lift especially at edges when applying new paint. The solvent of new paint can dissolve it and cause problems. Plus it will be your weakest layer of paint over the long run.

A professional painter will curse your name when seeing the rattle can paint. Some will insist that it all be sanded off.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the rattle can paint as a guide coat & YOU WILL remove it all, go ahead. I have done this & it works OK. Normally if you have sprayed primer & primer surfacer on, you would continue to prep & then paint. As the previous stated you can leave the prime as is if you used a quality 2 part primer surfacer.
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. I will stick with the primer only option. Thanks.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove ALL spray can primer and paint from the body prior to priming and painting. It was not worth the hassle.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just roughed numerous coats of thin red oxide rattle can/body work primer and did not sand it All off. I've never had it peel/lift.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave the car in urethane sanding primer for years no problem. It is porous but if you put on a coat of primer/sealer under like your supposed to do it then it won't rust at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: