Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

throw out bearing??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorpake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: throw out bearing?? Reply with quote

Hello I hope this is the correct place to post this. First time posting... long time reader.

1985 Vanagon
2.2 L subaru Legacy powerplant (rebuild from CCR)

I purchased and installed Small Car conversion kit purchased from their web page. The system has about 30,000 mi on it at this point. Running very well with just a few idle, vacuum hoses issues to chase down.
Recently;
I am hearing the classic high pitched squeal noise of a bearing (throw out or slave??) when i begin to let the clutch out in 1st gear. The noise goes away once the clutch pedal is is released and the van is moving down the road. Engine and road noise might drown out the noise shifting to 2nd- 3rd- etc.

Sometimes there is no noise and the clutch pedal feels normal through its travel while engaging the flywheel.
When the noise is present, it feels like the clutch engages much sooner in the travel of the pedal.

1) throw out bearing or slave? Is it maybe pilot bearing?
2) @ 30,000 mi it seems early to have a bearing problem. Has anyone seen this in other conversions?
3) Can i get away with swapping out the bearings or do the whole clutch job?
4) advice or questions

b
'88MoneyPit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a throw out bearing and hopefully not a messed up pressure plate. We have a buggy whose throw out fork broke when I went to shift last summer. Bearing exploded and bent the pressure plate. Check your throw out bearing fork for typical VW style wear. If the Clutch and PP are ok, you dont have to replace.

S
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this happen on my '89 Syncro. Noise and pedal travel/ engagement issue just as you describe. Found that the pilot bearing totally shot, rollers and inner race gone, only outer race in flywheel left. Didn't see any debris in bell housing either. Only found the problem when using the temp pilot shaft to center the clutch plate. Replaced throw out bearing, clutch plate, pilot bearing. All VW parts. I am running a 2.2 Subaru setup as supplied by Kennedy Engineered Products.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3) Can i get away with swapping out the bearings or do the whole clutch job?

For me, once the effort was made to pull the engine or tranny, I always replace the entire clutch assembly. It is a good feeling to close things up with all new parts.

But this is just me, and I am very anal about preventative maintenance.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how old your kit is. I have a 2.5 with SC kit that is a year and a half old. Did your kit require putting the spacer in the master cylinder?
poorpake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spacer for my kit. SC didnt have that available at the time.
They did offer to send me a spacer... not %100 sure what it does. When the system was brand new i thought the clutch engaged quite late in its travel. So maybe that is addressed w/ the spacer??

So anyway i will pull it, inspect and likely replace all.

Thanks for the help.

b
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is the proper fix:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1723610

Fred is a great guy, and his product is excellent.
poorpake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalispell365
i have not seen this fix. Is there something about the clutch, pedal, small car housing that causes the TOB to fail?
This looks like a good product. Will likely purchase. Just want to know the specifics of my current set up.

b
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a large thread about this problem. The clutch slave/ throwout bearing is being overextended because of the difference in fluid volume between the stock Vanagon clutch master and the later VW golf/ Jetta/ Beetle internal slave used on your Smallcar setup. The pedal modification by Fred changes the stroke length and will remedy this permanently.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=160
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: