Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Beetle horn wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
75Flamebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: 1975 Beetle horn wiring Reply with quote

I have a horn that was disconnected that I want to hook up because my brother got backed into when he was driving my 1975 beetle (that I just bought a week prior Sad ). He couldn't have done anything because the shifter was stuck and he couldn't get it into reverse and there was no HORN. I was wondering how to trace the horn wire from the steering column. I know that the wire does not go all the way down under the fender where the horn was located. Could anyone help me locate it?

Thanks! Smile

~K-VW
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two wires that run to he horn:
    Black/yellow (#15) wire which brings 12v+ from the fuse box to the horn. The horn has constant 12v+ while the ignition is ON. This black/yellow wire is spliced into the same black wire that powers the brake switches.

Brown (S-) wire which runs to the steering column where it connects to the horn button. When the horn button is pressed the brown wire is connected (shorted) to ground.

Both wires should run down the left side of the fuel tank and drop through a slot to reach the horn. Brake wires run the same route.

The brown wire to the horn button is more complicated. This is a switched ground. It runs into the steering along with the other ignition switch and turn signal wires. It should connect with one of the brown wires from the turn signal and terminates at the large brass "ear" or "wing" on the face of the turn signal assembly. This will contact with a brass ring conductor on the underside of the steering wheel. This allows electrical contact even while the steering wheel rotates. In some model years this makes the entire steering wheel and steering column part of the negative circuit. In the later years, I believe there is a wire from this ring that runs to the horn switch/button. When the horn is pressed this wire is grounded.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
75Flamebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks soo much! When you say the left side of the fuel tank, does that mean the left when sitting in the drivers seat? I have always gotten confused with that.

I will have to try to see if I can locate the wires tonight when I am not at work.

Thanks again! @AshMan40

~@K-VW b Very Happy
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-VW wrote:
Thanks soo much! When you say the left side of the fuel tank, does that mean the left when sitting in the drivers seat? I have always gotten confused with that.

This seems to come up a lot when describing how things ars oriented around the Beetle. Especially when working with the rear mounted engine.
The easiest way to keep things understandable to all...
    FRONT = front of the car
    REAR = rear of the car
    LEFT = left side of the car (left side when traveling forward)
    RIGHT = right side of the car

Since the transmission is located in front of the engine, the front of the engine is where the clutch and flywheel are located. The rear of the engine is where the fan belt and crank pulley are located.

I will also throw in that unlike most cars I have worked on where the engine cylinder numbers alternated between the left and right sides of the engine, VW decided to number the cylinders with #1 & #2 on the right side of the engine. #3 & #4 on the left side.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: