Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got a letter from the Toll Booth people in Texas.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgn2bapt wrote:
Quote:
Even if you're right it ain't worth the grief.

Its that kind of mentality that perpetuates this horseshittery.

Ain't that the truth!

I just fought a rolling stop ticket that had a 135.00 waiver and automatic 2pt license hit. By the time I proved myself right and won it cost 300.00 Rolling Eyes
There where too many times in my youth where I let money govern how I handled legal business. I don't care the costs anymore as it's only money.

I agree with aero mech on this one. As a kid someone stole the plates off my car and was caught on camera stealing gas all over town. I was pulled out of bed and had to go to a police station at 3am in the morning so they could I compare me to camera shots of the guy that stole my plates. They had no doubts it was me just based on the plates being mine and that I was a 6' tall white guy.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Pocketlint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
What that old saying ---- Pictures or it didn't happen -- --

Call them up and tell them to supply proof that it was you in the vehicle and the vehicle was registered to you -- kind of like a red light camera --

Or better yet -- just a letter from you stating that is not you (your name isn't as stated in letter) and you haven't been to Texas (don't send copy of Jetta registration) -- sign it, reference the bill, make a copy for your records, FAX it to them and then send it registered mail where they have to sign for it -- bada bing

I would wonder how they tied a car registered in Florida to your address in Cali -- That is a really big reach

Yep ^ I agree with this. Don't pay it. Any toll violation I've seen in the state of TX sends you a PICTURE of the car and the violation (but that' from Houston and Dallas), not sure why it would be different from just the Austin sector. Confused

You've not been to TX, you have not owned a vehicle in FL for how long?
Seems weird they could even track you from an old FL plate to CA via TX
after all that time but hey who knows what big brothers dumber little brother is capable of Shocked Rolling Eyes
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
A nice lady finally answered my call. She said not only is this plate not registered to me but Florida has never even issued a plate with that number. Sounding very fishy. Also I noticed that my name on the letter is kinda wierd. Instead of it being for instance "Smith John J" like it should be it's "J Smith John". They tell you that phishing emails are like that.

I know the 19th is the last time you participated here- but I hope it isn't the last. My worry is if left unchecked with somebody in Texas (like their state senator), this TxTag joint will be legally allowed to pass this through their collections proceedings after 90/120 days or whatever. They may then claim you owe them $100s in back fees, interest, etc. You are not the first.

I strongly encourage you to get resolution in writing from this office- and make sure other agencies in Texas (like AG and the TX State Police) know what they are up to.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you need to do is get proof from them. I got a letter from NH EZPASS saying I ran a toll in NH on a night could prove I wasn't in the state, with a plate that I hadn't used on a vehicle in 3 years. I called and they sent me a copy of the photo of the plate. Close inspection of the photo proved the number they thought was "8" in reality was a "6"
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call and talk to a supervisor, i just went thru this with NJ E-Z PASS and Maryland E-Z PASS.
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them a picture of $10.63, lol
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvileNV wrote:

That's been done before. A guy that sent a pic of the cash amount of his red light camera ticket, received a reply from the cops. The reply had a photo of a set of handcuffs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
If it was a scam, don't you think they would come after you for more than $10.63?

That is what a lot of them (scammers) hope you think. It ($10.63) adds up in the long run. They (scammers) try and do the same thing with credit cards (when they steal your number) hoping you don't notice the small charges.
I would send a registered letter to TXTAG.ORG denying ownership of the car or plates in question. If they won't sign for it then it's probably a scam. Sure you're still out some bucks, but it not in the scammer hands.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
coad wrote:
If it was a scam, don't you think they would come after you for more than $10.63?

That is what a lot of them (scammers) hope you think. It ($10.63) adds up in the long run. They (scammers) try and do the same thing with credit cards (when they steal your number) hoping you don't notice the small charges.
I would send a registered letter to TXTAG.ORG denying ownership of the car or plates in question. If they won't sign for it then it's probably a scam. Sure you're still out some bucks, but it not in the scammer hands.

I think a registered letter approaches that $10.63 cost.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: That there is funny ... Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
EvileNV wrote:

That's been done before. A guy that sent a pic of the cash amount of his red light camera ticket, received a reply from the cops. The reply had a photo of a set of handcuffs.

Now THAT is funny .... Laughing
wuzmop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txtag.org is a legit toll authority. You should be able to log on directly to their website with the info provided on that invoice to see if it is legitimately them sending you that invoice. The toll authority will require something from the state saying you don't own that car. Don't know how you do that with Florida.
71 Bus
91 Cabby
www.aircoolers.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: