Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which pre heat (stove pipe) do I need?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Which pre heat (stove pipe) do I need? Reply with quote

I have a NOS muffler to install on a 1600sp, which has the heat riser return pipe on the left (driver) side. For this muffler, which stove pipe in the photo is correct? I think upper works for heat riser return on either side, and lower is left side only, correct? Also, if either works is one preferable?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper is the only type I have used on all of my late models. Use whichever fits best with your tin. I have never seen then lower so someone else will have to chime in about it.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified that I don't have this piece and need to buy. The photo is from the classifieds and depicts the 2 different styles that seem to be available.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on never seeing the bottom one. Are you SURE you want to install that NOS muffler? I would be happy to purchase it from you....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which pre heat (stove pipe) do I need? Reply with quote

akear wrote:
I have a NOS muffler to install on a 1600sp, which has the heat riser return pipe on the left (driver) side. For this muffler, which stove pipe in the photo is correct? I think upper works for heat riser return on either side, and lower is left side only, correct? Also, if either works is one preferable?

Those have no relation to the positioning of the heat riser on the muffler. They'll mount beneath the passenger side of the tin. Just follow the large hose from the oil bath down to the tin in this pic from the gallery....that hose connects to the pre-heat pipe under the tin

akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I should have searched a little more thoroughly as I also found this in another thread, which explains the differences:
glutamodo wrote:
There were two different styles of those stove pipes, one mounted via on tin screw and one exhaust stud. The the other via just two tin screws. In the past I speculated that they changed the design because the exhaust stud tab was prone to failure but I recently read the 1972 Technical Improvements presentation in the Technical archives here and found this regarding them trying out a "right pipe" manifold preheat muffler.... excerpt:

Anyway, the 1972 "mini-manual" that VW sold to go along with their dumbed-down 1972 owner's manual mentions installing the old style "carburetor pre-heat adapter" here:

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just glad that you want to do it correctly. Good for you. Did you add the thermostat and flaps also?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermostat is on the list; flaps might be in there I’m not sure. Meanwhile I’m trying to sort things out as I go. This is a very stock KG, except for abuse from the previous owner’s mechanic. She said she had a new exhaust put on, and since then it stayed loud and the heat never worked again. Well it was loud because the mechanic put on an Empi GT exhaust and the heat didn’t work because they threw out the heater boxes and put in J tubes. I suspect that’s when the thermostat and stovepipe and probably a few other original pieces went into the trash.
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the muffler made it to you. Here is a NOS stovepipe for a good deal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-air-cleaner-pre...mp;vxp=mtr Best of luck, Casey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: