Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring harness routing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilcor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: wiring harness routing Reply with quote

I'm in the process of reassembling my '74 (took it down to a pile of nuts, bolts and strange pieces because it was seriously thrashed). I'm now reinstalling the wiring (most of which is usable, and what's not I'm recreating). In my haste to disassemble and get working on it, I foolishly failed to take enough pictures to document where stuff went.
Does anyone out there have a good set of photos or a well-detailed diagram (I have the books, and they're not worth spit on this subject) that shows harness routing (the main and the subsets). Probably also help, where I haven't yet fathomed it, to tell me where components like relays precisely belong.
Started to install the brake switch harness and quickly figured out I didn't know where the other end went (other than the electrical destinations). Hence this plea for help.
Could also use a hand identifying and locating all the dashboard components.
Thanks for any help I can stir up.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different style diagrams available here on The Samba, neither of which shows how the harnesses run. You might check on the Beetle forums as the wiring is close to being the same as a Beetle.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.pdf
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay the wiring out on the floor and start with the main harness. This is installed starting in the engine compartment, engine wires and light wires will lay in place. big gromlet will pull into the area over the trans, wires for starter will stay there and rest of the harness will go inside the body and lay by the tunnel to front of tunnel then a wire will be by the steering column lower to connect to the brake harness from the master cly. On up to the fuse box running the harness over the column between the body. Front harness, start feeding the end that will go to the fuse box from the front left side panel. We use a 1/8 braded cable as a feeder to pull the wires from the front to the fuse box starting it through the round hole on the left side of the dash and it should come out at the front left side inside of the hood .Two people is best for this job. One pushing the harness taped to the 1/8 cable at the hood and the other pulling the cable inside. Hope this gets you started. All else fails try to find Vince if he still lives there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wilcor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's helpful info. Once I get a start on it, sounds like it'll be relatively obvious.

Also still wondering about the wires from the brake switches. There's what looks like an inviting hole, about a half-inch in diameter, in the firewall (is it called that on this end of the car?) directly above the master cylinder. that the right place?

Already found the Samba wiring diagrams. They're helpful with the electrics, but not much with routing, and they don't offer a very good feel for the physical dimension of the wiring. But they're a helluva lot more useful than that silly drawing in the parts explosion book.

Tnx.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your harness will go Through the bulkhead(firewall), and connect to the brake light switches.. The plugs are pretty unique(well, at least to have two so close together..)... If that answers your concern...(?)

Main harness comes through on the PAss side of the tunnel, near the battery and runs forward along the pass side of the tunnel all the way to the bulkhead.. Then crosses over behind the brake resevoir(if yours is still in there) and up to the column..
The rest is clear as Mudd, like Ron described above! Wink

Gallery pics will help, albeit they won't be specific of the harness, but you'll see it in many shots..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be building another car and should be wiring it in about a month. will take pics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a few pictures of the wiring on one of the things that Ron Domeck and me (The Domeck Brothers ) did as Ron said we are building a 73 Thing now we will be putting a lot of pictures of the wiring on our website http://kubeltreffen181.com that is all the pictures of location I have for now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wilcor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. The pix are helpful, and the detailed descriptions should get me there (at least until I get to the details at the end of the wires). If nothing else, I can pretty quickly eliminate enough of the variables to find my way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: