Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Road to Baja - Building Manxter DS-31 Baja Edition
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: The Road to Baja - Building Manxter DS-31 Baja Edition Reply with quote

Wow what a week, it started quiet enough and then I got the new I had been waiting for ... the NORRA Mexican 1000 Rules where release for 2015 and we had a new class.

Category VMeyers: Genuine Meyers Manx vehicles
This category is for any model of genuine Meyers Manx vehicle. Meyers Manx vehicles of any age (including new) may enter this vintage category.

After reading it with glee a few quick phone calls where made and the decision was made to enter in our first Mexican Offroad Race. I say our as it wouldn't be much fun without my mates along for the ride.

Looking around the shop I had a collection of Buggies to choose from but they were all lacking one thing or another. Then an idea began to form, with the new class aimed at making it easier to Meyers Manx Owners to Race and enjoy the experience maybe we should do a ground up build using all the Meyers Manx Parts including one of their New DualSport Pans.

A few more phone calls where made and a deal was stuck, we where going to build a Manxter DualSport Kit from start o finish and get it to Tech Inspection on 24 April 2015.

Ordering a Meyers Manx Kit was is an easy process, I filled in some paperwork, selected the options I needed to make it happen and handed over some $$$. The DualSport Kit should take 6 - 8 weeks and I will post a copy of the purchase agreement when I get it back with dates and serial tag number etc.

With time ticking it was kit ordering day today so I went and visited the nice people at Meyers Manx. Ale was hard at it working in the office but managed to stop long enough for a quick chat and to take my first piece of official path to Norra Paperwork, yep my Manxter DualSport Kit Order.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Iguana on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Now I am really jealous that I do not live closer to be able to participate in this. I will make a guess that this new class will bring people out of the woodwork to have a chance to run this event.

Do you have a link to the rules?

Looking forward to watching your build progress into a reality.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds Awesome Iguana! I hope we get the play-by-play for not only the build, but the experience of the race too! I've always wondered what it would be like to build a buggy to run it down the peninsula. The good, the bad and the ugly! Some video too if at all possible!

Now this is something one of the "reality" car shows should pick up on and make a series out of it! Just too cool!
Jeff
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Oh wow! Now I am really jealous that I do not live closer to be able to participate in this. I will make a guess that this new class will bring people out of the woodwork to have a chance to run this event.

Do you have a link to the rules?

Looking forward to watching your build progress into a reality.

Cheers, link to Rules are here - https://www.norra.com/mexican1000.php

As of today we have 1 x Manxter DualSports ( well yet to be built but in spirit) 1 x Meyers Tow'd and 1 x Classic Meyers Manx signing up for the race. Entries open on 1 Jan 2015.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
This sounds Awesome Iguana! I hope we get the play-by-play for not only the build, but the experience of the race too! I've always wondered what it would be like to build a buggy to run it down the peninsula. The good, the bad and the ugly! Some video too if at all possible!

Now this is something one of the "reality" car shows should pick up on and make a series out of it! Just too cool!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Rest assured there will be plenty of pictures, video's and information flowing. I am by no means an individual in this effort I am just the guy who posts it out in public. I have a very passionate and experienced group of guys and gals on board and they will all be mentioned as I go.

The aim of the Manxter DualSport build is a little different from a lot of build people will see as we are not going to do any fabrication at all and everything that goes into it will be off the shelf. Sure I am calling in some favors and assistance but the full retail pricing and supplier of everything we use will be published. Now so there is no confusion I am not suggesting I will publish what it actually costs me to do but I will publish what it would cost someone off the street to do if they just followed in out foot steps.

What we want people to see at the end of the day is a base spec Manxter DualSport being built, tested and driven to, in and home from the Mexican 1000.

We are not out to get a Fabrication award and break new ground in what we build. Suspension will be IRS / BJ, why ?? cause it is the most affordable, reliable and available out there and like so many class 11's before me I believe it will achieve the aim.

Anyway full details will follow shortly along with a YouTube series showing every step of the way and providing some interesting back ground on the products and people who are joining the journey with us.
MANXXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally looks soooo happy to see you Brad!!!
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANXXMAN wrote:
Ally looks soooo happy to see you Brad!!!

Yeah, she was even more happy when I took her picture and I am sure she will be happier even still when she sees I have posted it online Very Happy
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad - I just hope your car preparation is better than some of the other recent attempts at this event. It seems they spent more time working on the cars than driving them. That can't be much fun. Good luck with your attempt. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Brad - I just hope your car preparation is better than some of the other recent attempts at this event. It seems they spent more time working on the cars than driving them. That can't be much fun. Good luck with your attempt. Tom

I think our team is about half and half. Several of us wouldn't considering it racing if we didn't have to do some track side repairs others would prefer to just drive Very Happy

I am lucky as I have access to a lot of experience and when you team is headed by Bruce and Winnie you are off to a good start, add in people like Chris from SubieWorks, Jim, Ron, Paul and a few others and their is no shortage of experience and talent, I think time and $$$ will be the big killers but I am working on that.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Build Number Today it will be 31 and it will be the first Baja Edition which is what we will be calling the DualSport Buggies that are sold as a rolling kit on one of the new Manxter DualSport Chassis.

The Baja Edition will be supplied with a heap of cool stuff which will not only make the build quicker it will also allow those who aren't 100% on what they should be putting in their build see what Meyers Manx suggests and test drive the exact configuration.

Full Details will flow over the next month or two as we finalise suppliers and finish our testing on the suspension components to get the 12" plus of travel we require.

This will be the same combination which is run in the Mexican 1000 just to show we are confident in what we have put together and the quality and support is there to finish a race such as the Mexican 1000.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very curious on how you will be getting 12plus inches of wheel travel out of a ball joint front end.
Is there someone making longer trailing arms using ball joints?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If #30 is built to the same specs, will it be considered a "Baja Edition"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
I am very curious on how you will be getting 12plus inches of wheel travel out of a ball joint front end.
Is there someone making longer trailing arms using ball joints?

I would be curious too Very Happy After spending a day with guys who know way much more than me, taking Jon's Manxter for a drive and getting another day of desert driving on the Silver DualSports the decision was made that King and Link Pin was going to be a much more suitable setup with much better after market support and options.

Although I still really like the 181 Ball Joint front end I accept that it is becoming hard to get and will max out at around 8". It is always going to be a hard sell at 8" over 12".

With that is mind and my position of taking on as much advice as possible from those who have plenty of experience the build spec was changed to the Meyers Manx DualSport Beam and Coil Overs.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
If #30 is built to the same specs, will it be considered a "Baja Edition"?

The Baja Edition is an add on to a Standard DualSport so yes your DualSport could be built as a Baja Edition. The only real changes to the existing kit have to do with the roof support system getting some additional support tubes to better protect the occupants.

The rest of the inclusions in the Baja Edition revolve around the Chassis, suspension etc and that can be added to any DualSport Kit but will only be sold as a complete unit with no piecemeal offerings.

The reason for the complete kit only offering is that we need to control the quality, design and assembly. It takes the guessing out of what will work with what and how it will perform. The suspension will be setup with full cycle, full bump, correct valving, correct spring rates etc. All this will be confirmed on DSBE#31 and available for prospective customers to conduct "Seat of Pants" testing. This way they can feel and experience what we are offering and not make a decision on what they are being told by others. With Meyers Manx being under 2hrs from desert test facilities it makes sense if you are going to build a DualSport vehicle then you should be able to experience the reason why they are attractive.

The Baja Edition will not be offered from Meyers Manx as a Turn Key Option, it will be a roller only and we have several experienced shops who we can recommend to finish the build or at least supply the engine and transmission if the owner wishes to bolt their own in.

Anyway that is enough dribble for now, it will all become much clearer as the process goes on and we get closer to D-Day which is Tech Inspection on 24 April in Mexico ..
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build and the Baja edition Manx concept and race class is an exicting idea.. good luck, keep information about the build, other builds and entrys for the Manx class flowing..

I am deciding what class my restomod 1600cc ball joint and swingaxle car will run in still. Vintage swing Axle was the plan, but this new class could bring out all types motor suspension combos to race with.

cyah there!
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEST-O-LUCK, Brad....

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the positive words. We got some more Paperwork sorted today with our Mexican 1000 Entry going through when they opened the registration. I guess that means we are about $4k out of pocket if we don't make it lol.

It looks like we will have the Race Number of 00 which we thought was fitting since it was the first time this class had raced and in the case of the team the first time most of us have even been to Mexico.

So the wheels are turning,

It looks like the Meyers Manx DualSport Chassis will begin its life on the fabricators bench on Monday so although not technically part of this build I will be sure to cover what goes into it and what benefits it will offer over most floor pans.

We have also hooked up with a few quality suppliers such as PRP Seats (PRPSeats.com) and Down South Motorsports (http://downsouthmotorsports.com/) so we are happier knowing that both our rear ends and the buggies will be properly suspended and setup by some industry leaders.

As we start getting parts in we will make sure we cover exactly why we have gone the way we have and what goes into prepping the parts to Baja Edition Level.

Should be an exciting ride and some of the parts we have are fresh of the release table so have never been seen before Shocked
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching the build. The family was thinking a four seat mid travel Manx would be a great next build.

Best of Luck to you and your team!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the days are going by faster than I hoped and with my multiple hats on I am very glad to have several awesome vendors to work with to ensure it all goes to plan.

I guess there are two things going on here that will make this build a little bit confusing but I am keen to keep everyone up to date so they get a good understanding of what Meyers Manx is bringing to Market.

The 'Actual' build of Manxter DS # 31 will begin on 3 April when Paul arrives from Australia and we assemble the team. The Build of the Buggy is based upon the new Manxter DualSport Baja Edition Kit which takes the guess work out of building a DualSport that works. The DualSport Baja Edition ( DSBE) as it will be called is a complete DualSport Kit, with DualSport Chassis and then the Baja Edition Options which is the complete suspension, fox shocks, arms, spindles, hubs, brakes, pedals, steering etc. The aim here is to bring to market a rolling DualSport Solution and show that from the Baja Edition Kit to Racing can be done in around 3 Weeks .. Yep 21 days from Kit to heading South for Tech Inspection.

Big Call huh Smile

Now as luck or fate may have it I am also working on the actual Baja Edition Kit so prior to 3 April I will be making sure we have everything sorted and can offer a solution that is in line with the Quality and Experience Meyers Manx has.

With this being said part of the experience Meyers Manx has is access to some industry leaders who are at the top of the game. By working closely with these guys we can ensure that we bring to market the best Baja Edition Possible.

The Buggy will be built on a Manxter DualSport Kit and Manxter DualSport Chassis.

Some of the guys we are working with are :

PRP Seats (PRPSeats.com) - when it comes to Suspension seats PRP is up there with the best. Aaron and his team are the most accommodating and easy to work with guys I have found. They are willing to work with you to make sure the end product is exactly what you need. We will be working closely with them on one of their new seat designs that will suit the Baja Edition perfectly. Window Nets, Harness and Tool Bags will also be provided to make sure all the right stuff is kept in the right place.

DivPro - In order to get the Barwork up to spec we will be going with a 1020 DOM solution fully Tig Welded with some design tweaks from Ron and the guys. When you have spent as many years as Ron has building buggies and Offroad race cars there is a fair chance your designs will be spot on. Ron was a driving force in Chenowth Buggies so isn't short on experience or talent.

Down South Motorsports - No point building a Manxter if it isn't setup to perform. When it comes to the science of shocks and coils I haven't found to many better than Sonny at Down South. He will be handling the valveing and setup out the Fox 2.5 Coil Overs on each corner and making sure they are built to perform. (downsouthmotorsports.com)

SubiWorks - In order to ensure we get to the end we will be running a Subaru Engine and 5 Speed Transmission. Chris from Subiworks ( subiworks.com) is in charge of making this happen and with his background in race and rally it is certain to be done well. Engine will be a SOHC EJ25 with factory ECU and MAP Sensor Manifold. Transmission with be a SubaruGears 5 speed with 4.86 R&P on a 758 GearSet.

Method Wheels - getting the drive to the ground is an important part of any car, even more so somewhere like baja. When it comes to wheels and quality we needed to look no further than Temecula and Method Race Wheels (http://www.methodracewheels.com) . Having had their wheels on several buggies now I was very happy with the quality and toughness. I can't think of a better wheel to bang around on for the over 2000 mile trip we will be doing not long after finishing the build.

Jamar - After a run of recent issues with EMPI stub axles there was no chance in I would be running any of them on the Baja Edition unless there was no other option. Being stuck with yet another broken Type 1 stub axle Micro Stubs where the only option worth looking at. With that decision made you can't go past the Jamar Pro X series of brakes, pedals and shifters. Made right here in the USA their quality has continued to improve and the Pro X series is simply awesome. With 4 pot callipers ll round and 11" rotors to clamp onto I am more than happy they will be able to pull up whatever the Subaru Engine and SubaruGear transmission can push forward. (http://www.jamarperformance.com/)

Dan's Parts - On any buggy build navigating through the world and Crap and Not Crap parts is not an easy thing to do. Luckily for me I have a wealth of knowledge in Dan from Dan's Performance parts and he will be helping me avoiding the stuff that don't work and providing me with the stuff that does. (http://www.dansperformanceparts.com) - check out his new website !!

Added to the above list are the great resources of the Manx Club and all the other mad Buggy Mates I have.

Looking forward to brining it all together and hopefully you will enjoy the read.

The DualSport Chassis goes into the Fabrication Bay next week so stay tuned for updates and Fabrication Porn !!!
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way cool, SubaruGears ( www.subarugears.com) have come along to help us out and are keen to show that not only is the Reverse Ring and Pinion kit a kick ass solution for the rear engine but it can handle the pressure of Racing the Mexican 1000.

Not sure what ratio we will run yet but will confirm the gearing and stuff with Todd and Chris over the coming weeks. As we are running an EJ25 SOHC with 33" rear tires I need to be confident of having enough to surf the silt when the time comes.

We will most likely be running a SubaRack on the front beam of one of the cars. This is a setup under R&D at the momet that should make Rack and Pinion Steering a viable option for most cars. Todd is still finalizing the design but it will be a great addition to the SubaruGears product line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: