Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EV wont start...most of the time. All out of ideas. any advi
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: EV wont start...most of the time. All out of ideas. any advi Reply with quote

So heres the deal.

I have a 2003 EV. Im having an issue with it not starting. It just does not engage the starter. doesn't even try to crank over. sounds like its an electrical thing. Sometimes though, it just starts after sitting for a week or 2 but will not start again after for another week. I cannot use my vag com because for some strange reason its not working, somethings wrong with the plug. another thing i have to fix.

I have a relatively new battery and replaced the ignition switch. I hear the transmission click when I hit the brake before starting, Im assuming thats the neutral safety switch working. Im not sure if its the immobilizer, but if it was im not sure why it would work only once a week and i have no idea how to check it.

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas to check things from cheapest to most expensive i would greatly appreciate it. I cant afford to take it to a shop so i have to figure it out on my own.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 2002EV car, in Colorado Red.

The braid between the solenoid and starter on my car corroded away a year or two ago. The symptom was a slight delay between the key turn and the starter engaging, and then eventually, no-start.
peter wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool.

Ill check that. Im in NYC as well. do you know if i need to take the pan off the bottom? im in nyc as well. love working on cars in the street Smile
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wor wrote:
ok cool.

Ill check that. Im in NYC as well. do you know if i need to take the pan off the bottom? im in nyc as well. love working on cars in the street Smile

You should be able to access the starter from the top but it is pretty low in the engine compartment and most certainly would be easier with the belly pan off.

You've done the basics? Checked the battery voltage? Are you getting 12V to the exciter wire at the starter? Make sure you battery connections are secure/tight and very clean w/ no oxidization? Same goes for the starter terminals. VWs have had somewhat fickle ignition switches and the T4s were one of them.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you disconnect your battery and chock the wheels before you start messing and probing around the starter. Shocked

Thanks,
Darwin.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to drop the pan, and the starter on the EV is a b**** to get to.

The top starter bolt had to be accessed with about 2 1/2 feet of extenders out in the wheel well.

Parts warning!!

When I went to put the replacement one in, I specified new - it turned out the new starter had a 13mm shaft. The old one, and remanufactured have a 12.5 mm shaft. Putting in a new bushing to match meant pulling the transmission

Mad

I replaced with a remanufactured Bosch.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The click you hear when you step on the brake pedal is the lock that prevents you from putting the transmission in gear without having your foot on the brake. Started in 86 with the runaway Audis.

Have you tried starting it in neutral rather than park? If it cranks that might indicate a bad neutral safety switch. That is there to keep you from starting it in gear.

If you do decide to work on the starter. You should disconnect the battery ground cable first to avoid sparks or worse. If you have safety radio, you'll need the unlock code if you do disconnect the battery.
peter wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, Ill make sure to disconnect the battery before checking the wires. Looking forward to figuring out this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: