Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many Non-Bus Spring Plate / Torsion Caps are there?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: How many Non-Bus Spring Plate / Torsion Caps are there? Reply with quote

As for the new chrome ones, you have your standard closed end Swing Axle, and open IRS for use with the double/single plates. I recently came across a unique IRS cap that got me thinking of how many VW used as factory items on the vehicles other than a Bus. I used to think there were the pre-57 open caps for a long bar S/A, 58-68 closed cap for short bar S/A, the open cap IRS for 69-70 with the spacers for the double plates, and the 71-79 IRS cap for the single plate. I was thinking that Type 1, and Type 3 IRS were the same when I came across an IRS open cap that took a knobby bushing instead of a round one, and was listed for sale as a Type 3 cap. Do the Type 3 IRS caps use an outer knobby bushing, instead of a round one like the Type 1 caps? Here's a couple pics of a standard Type 1 IRS cap for a single plate spring plate, and this IRS cap listed as a Type 3 that takes a knobby bushing for use with a single plate spring plate. Please post any other pics of various years of spring plate torsion caps you may have?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..., I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't know if a Type 3 IRS spring plate cap uses a knobby bushing. I just scored a Chilton VW Manual off Ebay, and the Type 3 section showed a round bushing on the spring plate in the exploded view picture?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just poked my head my T3- it has the knobby cap.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can really run the gamut for type 3 caps, IME.

Have found both round and knobby styles.

Can't really say which is which for years, because they always seem to get monkeyed by a PO. (or me)

There are also those double-plate style with round spacers at all four of the mount bolt locations, FWIW.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: