Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

propane tank filled with bleeder valve closex
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottydd9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: propane tank filled with bleeder valve closex Reply with quote

First time poster!

Today I had my propane tank filled on an 82 diesel vanagon and the attendant didn't open the bleeder valve. After filling the fill valve was leaking and is still slowly leaking so he obviously over filled the tank. My questions are will the fill valve stop leaking once the pressure go's down to 80 percent or is it damaged now? And would it be safe to crack the bleeder and drain off the pressure to 80 percent?
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a safe place and let the excess bleed off by opening the bleeder with gloves on. When it stops spitting liquid, close the valve and you should be good to go.
scottydd9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't spit liquid it spits gas
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it is at the correct level. Just be sure there isn't liquid dripping at the bleeder. If there is none, then you are below 80 percent.
scottydd9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you.
Just went out to the van, cracked the bleeder and gas vapour came out and after about 30 seconds some liquid as well as vapour came out. Closed the bleeder. Still can hear a small leak coming from the fill valve. I'm guessing i will need to bring it to a propane shop.
Thanks again.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I wouldn't blame the station attendant. It is very unlikely that filling with the bleeder closed caused any damage. If something is broken now, you were almost certainly in need of maintenance before the fill. Definitely bring it in and have it checked out. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
Then it is at the correct level. Just be sure there isn't liquid dripping at the bleeder. If there is none, then you are below 80 percent.

What liquid would be dripping?

If filled with the bleeder closed, you just won't get a full fill. Don't worry about it.
scottydd9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, was just my first thought when it started leaking after the guy filled it and seemed to be fine previous ill be bring it in tomorrow forsure
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 82 diesel westy, once in a blue moon, when the attendant removes the nozzle, my fill valve on the tank will hiss. I have my leatherman handy and just depressing the disc in the valve and releasing it seats it properly.

There seem to be two types of fill nozzles out there. The bayonet one seems to be the one that does not let the disc seat.

When I get a fill, I have a welcome mat that I set on the ground. That seems to help the attendant's mood. They usually want to ask about the van. I try to be as helpful as I can and don't leave it to the attendant. I also tip $5 when done.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
kalispell365 wrote:

What liquid would be dripping?

If filled with the bleeder closed, you just won't get a full fill. Don't worry about it.

That's not at all how propane tanks work, the bleeder is meant to show liquid LP gas escaping once the LIQUID LP in the tank gets above 80 percent. Propane is compressed into liquid form when stored in the tank.It expands 420 times in volume once it converts to vapor. You can very easily get 80 percent and beyond in there with the bleeder closed. The bleeder is like a visual fuel gauge to tell the attendant when it hits 80 percent.The only other way to measure the volume of liquid in a tank is by weight, which is not possible when it is permanently mounted. The 80 percent fill allows room for expansion safely in warm weather.

A lot of misunderstanding about LP around here, just trying to clear it up.
scottydd9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it fixxed today they said it was danaged and did a rebuild thanks for the help guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: