Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Golf is awesome - just bought one
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: New Golf is awesome - just bought one Reply with quote

Been driving WRXs since 2003. Was ready for something different - test drove a basic Golf and, amazingly with an automatic. I can't even remember the last automatic I owned. Was not planning on buying a car today at all. But also drove a Fiesta and Mazda 3.

Bought the damn thing - the tranny blew me away - all it needs is warm weather and a better set of wheels and tires (probably 17s with Continental extreme contacts) and it'll totally rock.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't go for the electric one?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Golf is awesome - just bought one Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Been driving WRXs since 2003. Was ready for something different - test drove a basic Golf and, amazingly with an automatic. I can't even remember the last automatic I owned. Was not planning on buying a car today at all. But also drove a Fiesta and Mazda 3.

Bought the damn thing - the tranny blew me away - all it needs is warm weather and a better set of wheels and tires (probably 17s with Continental extreme contacts) and it'll totally rock.

I, dont know if you noticed....but the 2015 Golf won motor trend car or the year.....actually the whole Golf family.

I have a 2012 with 5, cylinder/5 speed (mk 6)...the "value package" which means its the most loaded one you can get short of buying a GTI. Still basic Golf suspension.....but it handles great. It has 57,000 on it this week.....awesome car!

The only problem it has had is the CD changer on the premium 8 RCD510 head unit just had a glitch. Love this car. You will have a blast in it.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to use my car for loooooooong trips if not pulling the camper, so elec was out and was trying to keep it cheap for a change. Was not into dumping $30K into a new car again, so TDI and GTI were out and I wanted to pay it off in 3 years or less, which I can.

Yeah - the car of the year got my attention, which is one of the reasons I looked at the car to begin with. I am really curious how well it will do once I do the new tires and wheels this spring. Probably 17s.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go to an automatic transmission you'll never go back to a 5 speed! Wink My wife's Versa has the shiftless CVT transmission.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing has dual mode auto - regular and sport (changes shift points), PLUS if you push the lever to the right, you jog it forward and back to up and down shifts PLUS it has paddle shifts on the wheel. NO lag when manually shifting, no lag when it shifts automatically, doesnt search for gears. It TOTALLY blew me away.

Seriously, I hate automatics - the Fiesta I drove was typical auto, the Mazda 3 was quite a bit better, but neither were even on the same planet as the Golf. I have not been as excited about a new car since I bought my first WRX.

And when you close the doors......OMG. Even if you arent looking for a car, check one of these things out.
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Golf is a great I've had many. Recent ones were an 06,09,12 Just traded the 12 in on a 14 Beetle although the Beetle is great and has a fun factor missing in the Golf the Golf which is several grand cheaper has a still made in Germany refinement the Beetle is missing I could definitely see another Golf in the future VW really needs to step up quality and refinement in out of German models
Air and Water do mix!
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Once you go to an automatic transmission you'll never go back to a 5 speed! Wink My wife's Versa has the shiftless CVT transmission.

Brick wall This is why the manual transmission is no longer being produced for lazy Americans. Makes me so sad to read this.

To me its like comparing sex with and without a condom.

Sorry for the thread jack please continue.

May the war on Air vs Water end in my lifetime that we may all come together and enjoy the hobby.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, i like your example there! I am sure the new automatics are nice and everything but i agree, it will never compare to driving a manual.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - Once again - I havent owned a manual transmission car since the early 80s and most of them prior to that were manuals. We went through hell trying to find an SUV a few years ago one and found the FJ cruiser. You just can't buy them anymore.

I absolutely detest automatics......until I drove the Golf. I actually feel that I can blast through the twisties faster with the paddles....Come spring, nice set of tires and wheels, performance spring kit and maybe beefier sway bars, if it needs it. Gonna be a blast.

But I do agree as far as lazy Americans that dont want to drive. No argument on that point.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DSG transmissions are amazingly quick and smooth and as far as auto-shifting transmissions go, probably the most enjoyable I've ever owned or driven. They do have a few unique caracteristics that sometimes catch people accustomed to a traditional automatic off guard.
They are esentially two parallel gearboxes, so one is always engaged, making shifting almost imperceptable. This also makes them really fun to drive in manul mode, even though I do totally miss the third pedal or a real manual transmission.

They do in fact have clutches, two of them, and therefore, they will roll backwards on a hill. I've read alot of complaints about the hill holder brake on current VW's, however if you live with hills like I do, they are great. I use it all the time, especially sitting at a stop on a hill or even at a flat stop.

You do feel the clutch take up when on a hill like a manual. You can also coax them into coasting/freewheeling very easily on the highway and improve the fuel economy. They also will downshift fairly agressively on hills, using engine braking. It startles my wife and daughter every time.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the car yesterday morning. Spent a bit of time with one of the sales guys who is into Golfs in a big way. Has a GTI thats a year or two old. Got some ideas from him. One being a flash chip from APR that gets HP up to 251 and Torque to 298 running 93 octane Shocked . And its like $600. No other mods.

Drove the hell out of it today - Its just the base model with stock 15" tires and wheels. Can definately feel that when I upgrade the tires and wheels in the spring (going 18s) it will help on the twisties. Has more body roll than my former WRX, but was expected, but not real bad. Has a couple more bells and whistles than I really wanted (the LCD or whatevver it is display), but its all pretty easy to use and intuitive. Only other complaint is that you have to really watch the tach and speedo when shifting manually since the engine is too quiet for me. But pleasant surprise when in sport mode and letting the auto shift itself. Shift points are around 5500 RPMs and it runs really strong bone stock. The low end torque is really nice and stronger feeling than the WRX, which didnt wake up until close to 3000 RPMs. REALLY curious how it drives with the chip in the spring. Can see keeping the tires hooked up as being a little issue. Cool

Love this car.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the old 20V 1.8T but I hear the 16V motor is pretty nice. I had a 93 octane chip and a few other mods in my '00 Passat and it was a total hoot to drive, even for a wagon. VW tends to be pretty conservative with the boost, so there's plenty left in the tank before significant mods are needed.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
You didn't go for the electric one?

The e-golf? Up to 83 miles per charge? Hell no Evil or Very Mad I love VW's but 83 miles and $27,000? Come on! The Chevy Volt does more than that.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)

Last edited by jpjohns on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Golf is awesome - just bought one Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

Which model? I've been looking at the CC's but I do want another GTI.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the basic model - not the total stripper. But really - no reason not to do the entry model if you want a sleeper. I almost did. Before you dump the extra 8 or 9K on the GTI, go to here and look at this for $600

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Then another $1000-1200 for a nice set of 18s and good tires. If you want to drop it a little, add another $300 for performance lowered springs. I will eat up a spit out a stock GTI and look cool doing it with an extra $6-7K in my pocket.... Cool

Have been driving the hell out of it - I didnt check, but knocking on a 1000 miles so far. Getting a feel for the automatic and how to drive it (I flip between sport and normal mode a bit). Have 30.7 MPG average since I bought the car. Expect that to drop a bit once I flash it, but honestly, the only complaints I have is that a couple more Sirus radio presets would be nice and a thermostatically controlled heater would also be nice....Real important issues... Laughing Oh yeah - the third key set me back almost $200.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Just bought the basic model - not the total stripper. But really - no reason not to do the entry model if you want a sleeper. I almost did. Before you dump the extra 8 or 9K on the GTI, go to here and look at this for $600

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Then another $1000-1200 for a nice set of 18s and good tires. If you want to drop it a little, add another $300 for performance lowered springs. I will eat up a spit out a stock GTI and look cool doing it with an extra $6-7K in my pocket.... Cool

Have been driving the hell out of it - I didnt check, but knocking on a 1000 miles so far. Getting a feel for the automatic and how to drive it (I flip between sport and normal mode a bit). Have 30.7 MPG average since I bought the car. Expect that to drop a bit once I flash it, but honestly, the only complaints I have is that a couple more Sirus radio presets would be nice and a thermostatically controlled heater would also be nice....Real important issues... Laughing Oh yeah - the third key set me back almost $200.

That's awesome, thanks. You may have save me some dough.

SgtSamy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVT transmission Sick . Seriously, they are worst than the normal automatic. I personally can not stand CVT.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVT?????? No freaking way - its a 6 speed. Paddle shifters - with 4 ways to drive it. Regular drive, sport mode (which actually works reall nice), manual and/or paddle shifters which work in all modes.

Shocked me at when just a straight launch in sport mode. Shifts around 5500 - and nice and firm. One of the days going to turn off the traction and staibility controls and see how it does. But too much snow on the ground right now.

Like I had said early on - this is the first automatic I have owned in decades besides the kids cars. Same with my wife....And it has impressed the hell out of both of us.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeeeellllllllllll......Figured the I would update 10 months later. Trading my Golf automatic in next week...... Embarassed

But getting another Golf. Same color, everything except manual and 2 door....

After driving manuals forever - was really liking the convenience on occasion of not shifting....BUT when I wanted to really drive, the manual shift mode is NOT a true manual shift....Would kick down to a lower gear if I floored it, would downshift itself at a stop.... So - what this meant was if I wanted to play around, I could not have my foot to the floor if I was blasting through a corner in third, because it would drop to 2nd and would almost redline.

But - my wife was driving it quite a bit - figured that she liked it....Oh well -I can deal...Then we started talking about it the other day and she confessed that she hated it, but loved the gas mileage.....Just didnt want to say anything since it was my car.... Rolling Eyes

So - with VW's $2K loyalty incentive and technically stepping down to the "launch edition", only cost me about $4k to drive the car for about a year. And I am getting what I really should have bought in the first place....

And you can say "I told you so" Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: