Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 912 trunk lid popping open
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: 69 912 trunk lid popping open Reply with quote

Hi all

I bought a 69 912 a few months ago. I've been working through its issue but there's one thing I'm not winning on: the trunk lid (is that the correct US term?) keeps popping up. We've replaced all the lock parts with good used bits but it keeps popping up when driving. How does one sort this?

Thanks! Cool

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is typically an adjustment or lubrication issue. There are lots of threads at the Pelican Parts BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/). The 911 Forum would be where I would look.
356uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there... this is dead easy and in fact I did a write up on how to fix this blimey 8-9 years ago!

I have just looked over on the site I used to help moderate and it's been deleted.. what a supprise..

OK basicly your pin ( with the spring on it ) is not locating dead square or true into the locking hole.

what you need to do is get on your knees and close the bonnet ( sorry trunk hood what ever I'm English lets stick with bonnet ) from one side by the head light try and look inside as it's coming to close and your see if it's at an angle and I bet it's at an angle.. infact I know it will be.. also check from the front to make sure it's coming down dead square.

your need to get a very big adjustable spanner and open it up to be able to cover the pin with the spring. You will then need to tweek ( not twerk that's very different movement ) the pin with spring so that when it comes down to the locating hole it's square on...

ALSO!!!!!!!! you can take the whole latch off ( where the pin and spring is.. ) and open up the adjustment holes just abit..

Also clean up the locking mec ( hole ) and regrease as well as the pin..

I am more than confident your have total success on this. I have done it my self I have done it for 2 other 912/1 owners and I have had a number of messages and emails from other people around the world thanking me so I know it works..

when you go bending the pin with the spring.. go slow not like a bull in a china show hey.. Wink

My missing Classic Porsche MOJO.......

If I sound not interested it's cos I lost interest years ago.. no one gets out alive in this life anyway.
356 & 912's owner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Kaizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up!

I will also try this.

Ever since I lowered the front of my '68 912, this is happening more often.

Presumably from the body twist due the the lower/stiffened front end.

I also kicked around the idea of RS style hood (bonnet Wink ) clamps/locks.

But... will try your trick first.

thanks!
TKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you have the pin located in the center of the latch you also have to adjust the catch. The catch is what moves inside the latch and is attached to the cable.
Looking at the top of the latch you'll notice a small hole to the right of the large hole. What you want to do is put an owl or pin into the small hole to push the catch closed. With the pin in place and the catch closed you want to then adjust the tension on the cable. Now you're all set. When looking down in the latch the catch is in the closed position - have someone pull the knob and watch to make sure it opens all the way and returns closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some new rubber hood stoppers/bushings and adjusted accordingly until it stayed locked.

My problem was due to old rubber stoppers.
'07 VW GLI
WTB: '63 Ragtop Bug

The Bus Company - OEM used parts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: