Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do ads make you shop?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Do ads make you shop? Reply with quote

Saw this ad today in on the front page and was wondering if people buy VW parts based on ads? Just curious. Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No offense to the company.. I like their products. I just thought it funny Wink

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not interested in what ever she was holding.
All I can think of is that it's not a very flattering pose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like IRS drop or raise plates. I agree on the unflattering pose, looks like she either doesn't want to be there or wasn't ready for the pic.

But no, I don't normally see a chick in a bikini and think I need to buy the product. I would rather see well written description of the product and details of how it works. Although this does seem to be a pretty popular way of advertising, so It must work for some people.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is she wearing a diaper?

Sex sells.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators probably ought to kill this thread right away. The potential for this to get ugly is just beyond what most people can tolerate.

I'm biting my tongue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the high road before it's killed...

I don't buy based on a sexy ad, but I admit I do enjoy them.

However, as Glenn posted, sex sells. Otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent in advertising. Beer, tobacco, cars... these companies pay big money on advertising, and the "experts" armed with data convince them how to sell. It must work or money would not be chasing it.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mile high girl was good looking until she stuffed her face with a greasy heart attack burger.

Back on topic. The girls in ads grab my attention but it's discount pricing that promotes me to buy.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny this came up, I recently had a conversation about this very ad. Based on this "engineers" feedback I can see why he needs to do this to get people to look at his ad.

While I admire the female figure those poses are NOT flattering. I found out that the girls in the ad are his girlfriend and business partner, not sure who the third one is. Not sure which is which but the mad dog face on the biker again is not attractive.

I almost choked with the "pamper" comment!!

Not sure what other viewers wives would think of these pics but Ill tell you my old lady blew a gasket over it. She said "I thought it was a "family friendly" site".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girls hold the drop plate does not look interested at all. She looks as if {could you hurry it up please}
Wish we could get the thread back Would you hit it!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic like that would definitely elicit more clicks for a better look when it's in amongst all the other tiny little thumbnails in the classifieds, I can't be the only dirty old man here Surprised
As for will it make me more interested in buying the product?, not likely, even if she did look the slightest bit excited about what she's selling.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A pic like that would definitely elicit more clicks for a better look when it's in amongst all the other tiny little thumbnails in the classifieds, I can't be the only dirty old man here Surprised
As for will it make me more interested in buying the product?, not likely, even if she did look the slightest bit excited about what she's selling.

To many people hung up in too much ....stuff. Nothing dirty, un family friendly or lock worthy about this thread. Its just a chick in a bikini. Grow up.

As far as ads....I'm immune to them. I used to create ads for a living and know too well how they are made.....can usually analyze the focus in a heartbeat and either ignore them or be entertained.

As for pure subject matter....who cares about the pose or the parts. I know the part. Doesnt fit my car....not interested. As for the chick....nice curves nice skin. As for the pose?....her tail bone is impaled on the corner of the hood of a rat rod. She looks as expected.

I can keep the subject matter seperate in my head. To each his own. I think she's hot. Dont care about the pose or the part.

With the amount of occasional fowl language and double entendres in these forums....whi ever thought this was really a family oriented site?
Just sayin......Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to start anything.. just wondered. I saw it and wondered why but I guess everyone is different.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
funny this came up, I recently had a conversation about this very ad. Based on this "engineers" feedback I can see why he needs to do this to get people to look at his ad.

I agree with you. When you make false claims about your product, you need a gimmick to sell it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
I didn't mean to start anything.. just wondered. I saw it and wondered why but I guess everyone is different.

I know...just pokin at ya! Laughing
Ray
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay has a lot of them are are way worse, and Ebay is family friendly.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might buy something based on the ad if I like the product and the price but I feel like most advertising now acts as a way to get your name or a particular product out there.

Example:
If I'm thinking about where I want to buy some seat belts, I might remember that Wolfsburg West sells repro seat belts because I saw a specific ad for it.

Moderator note:
If this thread turns to commenting on the woman pictured in particular in a negative fashion, I will lock it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Ebay has a lot of them are are way worse, and Ebay is family friendly.

True, I have seen some weird non-VW nude stuff come up in my various VW-related searches.

eBay used to have a "Are you 18?" thing for a lot of ads but I haven't seen that come up in a very long time.
Even when I am not logged in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEARS ago I did a lot of research on advertising when we were starting our business. I came up with this thing of using cows in rural pics (like pastures with some trees) and we did some radio spots with cows mooing in the background. Had absolutely nothing to do with the business. BUT people always would say " Oh - you're the guys with the cows." To say I stole the ide from Gateway would be totally true.

It's like this - you want to capture someone's attention and you want them to remember. Plus you target your demographic. Most car people are guys....and guys like to look at hot women. This is primal. And in print ads, there are a LOT of subliminal images. Look real closely at some print ads and depending on the product, there may be a lot of very subtle suggestive details. It's no accident why things are placed the way they are. So you have the sex angle.

And then you just get into other methods - humor, celebrity endorsements, a mascot, etc.. Its a science and people spend millions on this. So, whether its a hottie, a gecco, Flo, or whatever. You recognize that company and remember. Thats the point.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
YEARS ago I did a lot of research on advertising when we were starting our business. I came up with this thing of using cows in rural pics (like pastures with some trees) and we did some radio spots with cows mooing in the background. Had absolutely nothing to do with the business. BUT people always would say " Oh - you're the guys with the cows." To say I stole the ide from Gateway would be totally true.

It's like this - you want to capture someone's attention and you want them to remember. Plus you target your demographic. Most car people are guys....and guys like to look at hot women. This is primal. And in print ads, there are a LOT of subliminal images. Look real closely at some print ads and depending on the product, there may be a lot of very subtle suggestive details. It's no accident why things are placed the way they are. So you have the sex angle.

And then you just get into other methods - humor, celebrity endorsements, a mascot, etc.. Its a science and people spend millions on this. So, whether its a hottie, a gecco, Flo, or whatever. You recognize that company and remember. Thats the point.

Very true....but a littld more to add to that.
My original degree, course of study and business was visual, communication, graphic design/product design.
Advertising was our bread and butter. In the many after action case studies of well known and documented advertising programs.....its well known that the "hook" that you note in your post....the image that gets a potential buyer to stop and look at your ad, outdoor board or commercial....REALLY works. It can get the audience to stop and look.

However....if its not carefully crafted or subtlety tuned....it may very well sell nothing.

For example TV ads are made in stages of detail and re-tuned before each re-release. Focus, groups and time on channel ratings tell the producers what is not working. If you pay attention to ads more from a structural interest......which is how I was trained.....you can see the progression and many times its not so subtle.
For example....tv ads placed during a popular weekly, series can start out with a longish commercial with lots of detail, pictures, angles, statements, models and merchandize.

By week 4.....you may notice if you have recorded and go back and compare....that, entire sections, scenes, statements, photo angles etc....have been altered or deleted or replaced.
This is because they are refining the message according to gathered data.

One really big problem is that many poorly designed ad commercials start trying to be funny and entertaining long before the campaign has generated a following for the product they are trying to sell. You end up seeing commericals winning awards for best c9mmercial of the year...when in fact the product does not sell at all.
Properly crafted campaigns put just enough out there at first to get sales moving, then build a, product, following. Later on.....with some huge names....once the product following is built.....a commercial can do its work simply by flashing the, company logo with the right sound and music....or making a commercial that is pure entertainment simply to keep the already healthy following talking.

The best case study we looked at from the 80s....before they had such instantaneous feedback.....were the Nissan commercials with the little japanese man with the baseball cap . They spent MILLIONS....made hundreds of crafted messages. People loved that guy and loved to watch the commercials. ..and they had a great product. It had virtually no positive impact on sales. The commercials had a following.....not the product.

A hot chick in a commercial catches my attention. But unless its a product I had never heard of....and actually might find useful.....I tune out the product and im thinking of sex!.

Where I do find ads useful....is simply educating me to a product that I may never have known existed. If I have no use for tue product I tune it out. If its something useful....I make a note on a pad to research it but tune out the rest of the commercial.

So in that respect....yes....I will amend my earlier statement. Ads do work on me but do not prompt me to buy anything. They prompt me to research it.

The exception is the "sale ad". If its something I already know, like and use....and they are telling, me that its 50% off normal pricing.....thats a different gig. Usually those ads need no "hooks". The price is the scantily, clad woman. Ray
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads make you look... not necessarily shop.

I'll admit... the samba feature, Atomwerk bikini arm ad made me look...which is 100% what it is meant to do.....but T&A have no bearing on what car parts I buy...

I was just saying this the other day..... I swear we get a new Victoria's Secret advertisement in the mail nearly every day... literally. Now we dont frequent the store but my wife does buy some of the product on line.. Wink ... It would be amazing the savings that could be applied to the little bit of fabric purchased if they dropped all the mailers....

As for Carl Jr's and Hardee's ... Makes me crave a good burger and well Wink .....every time I see them.. doesnt mean I go buy a burger.. or ... have Wink .. matter of fact... it usually ends up in a fight and no Wink and me hating Hardee's... Laughing So rarely go to Hardee's

Funny...A great auto parts counter friend of mine, a lady, despises their commercials.. and before she retired I used to bring in a cup from Hardee's when I stopped in for parts.... she would rant and rave about their sexist trashy ads, while I sipped on my staged drink.. ..
She knew I was just joking her... Laughing

Remember the "Star Wars VW" commercial... I thought it was cool and entertaining... but I still wouldn't buy a new VW..

Advertising is all about the target buyer....

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: