Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best year to drive as a stock daily driver?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk brakes up front in the ghia.. If you find a karmann Ghia - don't tear the front end off of it Rolling Eyes ... And if they salt the roads where you live an aircooled vw isn't right for that environment as stated.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disc brakes are alway a nice upgrade, but my wife and I drive our bugs as much as possible from March till December. (no real winter or salt driving, thank you very much). Have yet to be in a situation where disc brakes would have been beneficial. The only car that I am planning to put them in is the pending Suby Bug mostly because I know I am going to flog the hell out of it and dont want any brake fade.

Cant stress enough the concern about road salt. Thats why its so hard and has been so hard to find a solid car that has spent its life in our part of the world.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Disc brakes are alway a nice upgrade, but my wife and I drive our bugs as much as possible from March till December. (no real winter or salt driving, thank you very much). Have yet to be in a situation where disc brakes would have been beneficial. The only car that I am planning to put them in is the pending Suby Bug mostly because I know I am going to flog the hell out of it and dont want any brake fade.

Cant stress enough the concern about road salt. Thats why its so hard and has been so hard to find a solid car that has spent its life in our part of the world.

Agreed on the disc brakes. I used to daily my 76 Bug 30 miles each way to work. It was fine on the highway on those -3*F mornings in the winter, but it would cool down during the low speed part of my commute. But, it was all I had at the time, so I drove it. Oil changes and valve adjustments were done monthly, as 3K miles would rack up quickly.

Now I will say, that after 3 years of doing that, the bug definitely showed signs of rust. We get salted pretty good around here (maybe not quite as much as NY), but quite a bit just the same, and I take our VWs off the road in late October, so they don't see any salt. So, what does all this mean, it means having a dedicated "winter beater" , and only using the VWs during the really nice weather.

Note; this is just my take on it, and is not ment to sway you 1 way or the other, but most of us VW owners in the "salt belt" do this.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Late bug (like 69 or newer). Better suspension, a little safer, more power. If you are driving it at all over the winter, you will be exposing the car to road salt. Even if the roads are clear and dry, salt remains for quite some time. That being said, you will be inviting corrosion or rust.

A better alternative is to pick up a used Accord or something as a winter beater and take the VW off the road for the winter.

^^^ This.

If you want a comfy driver for daily use during non-road salt months, get a 69-74 standard beetle. May not be as pretty or "cool" as the early stuff, but they had decent ride, handling, heat, and road manners.

I am guessing that the "ghia" front end suggestion is all about disc brakes. Aftermarket disc brakes are readily available and easy to install. They also are relatively inexpensive, and possibly better overall.

Build yourself a nice late model standard, make it to your taste, and drive it.

*Edited for misspelling of "brakes" after consumption of adult beverages. Wink

Last edited by cdennisg on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide tires, thick sway bar, and yea Ghia front end as in just replacing the bug spindles with ghia spindles so you can use ghia brakes.

yea or aftermarket garbage Very Happy

My sister has an accord and it's a luxury to drive during the winter. And I'm in southern cali.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
yeah, or aftermarket well produced awesomeness Very Happy

Hey that's a well thought out idea!!

Not the 80s and 90s anymore, wish I could see as many ghias as I do beetles. If you have the money and time to fix up a beetle to make it worthy of stoping in the winter you might as well get a t3 more metal between you and the other guy anyways.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Same here, I like the shape of Ghias. They really keep the 50's style. But yea a nice Square Back would be perfect driver.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice feature about a squareback is you can haul stuff home from Home Depot.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'71 squareback in NY. Go to Ballston Lake, test drive & buy?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1725285
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

If you want a comfy driver for daily use during non-road salt months, get a 69-74 standard beetle. May not be as pretty or "cool" as the early stuff, but they had decent ride, handling, heat, and road manners.

I am guessing that the "ghia" front end suggestion is all about disc brakes. Aftermarket disc brakes are readily available and easy to install. They also are relatively inexpensive, and possibly better overall.

So that sounds like a plan...I do love the looks of the older stuff...especially the early headlights/fenders...

I agree better brakes are cool too...I am in still on the hunt.....I have a line on a 1975 beetle and also a 1969 Beetle...really want the 75 but the current owner wont return my calls...the 1969 Beetle guy is even kinda flexible on his price...he wants it out of the yard...I will post my purchase as soon as I get it in my yard....

MikeC
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

So that sounds like a plan...I do love the looks of the older stuff...especially the early headlights/fenders...

I agree better brakes are cool too...I am in still on the hunt.....I have a line on a 1975 beetle and also a 1969 Beetle...really want the 75 but the current owner wont return my calls...the 1969 Beetle guy is even kinda flexible on his price...he wants it out of the yard...I will post my purchase as soon as I get it in my yard....

MikeC

I wouldn't worry too much about swapping to disc brakes, as others have noted. The stock drum brakes work quite well when properly installed and maintained. Also, not sure if you have smog laws where you live, but if you do, the 69 would be a better option for you. By 75, beetles had some crazy emission control stuff that might be difficult/expensive to source.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mikec4193 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

MikeC

I wouldn't worry too much about swapping to disc brakes, as others have noted. The stock drum brakes work quite well when properly installed and maintained. Also, not sure if you have smog laws where you live, but if you do, the 69 would be a better option for you. By 75, beetles had some crazy emission control stuff that might be difficult/expensive to source.

Yeah, as 75 was the first year for FI. Shocked It didn't get a cat (well maybe California did), but still trying to find FI bits might be tough for it (my 76 was converted to a carb). The 69 would be a better choice in the long run though.
Now, if you weren't going to use it in the winter, I'd go with a type 3 (Square or Fastback), as the ride of these cars is 100% better than a bug. Very Happy Plus, you get disc brakes up front stock, and even a true Automatic Transmission was an option. The Squareback is almost like a van (think of it more as a mini suburban), in that you can carry all sorts of stuff, or the kids and a couple of coolers in the back. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
mikec4193 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

MikeC

Yeah, as 75 was the first year for FI. Shocked It didn't get a cat (well maybe California did), but still trying to find FI bits might be tough for it (my 76 was converted to a carb). The 69 would be a better choice in the long run though.
Now, if you weren't going to use it in the winter, I'd go with a type 3 (Square or Fastback), as the ride of these cars is 100% better than a bug. Very Happy Plus, you get disc brakes up front stock, and even a true Automatic Transmission was an option. The Squareback is almost like a van (think of it more as a mini suburban), in that you can carry all sorts of stuff, or the kids and a couple of coolers in the back. Cool

The cons of type 3's are parts availability, and dirt roads. That open engine compartment does not like dusty conditions. If you keep your filters religiously clean, and have absolutely ZERO oil leaks, it should not be an issue. They do drive and handle nice, though.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing not mentioned is the heat, VW's are know for there poor heat in the winter. You should read up on that, unless you're okay with being cold. You will want to check the heater channels, flaps, thermostat, tubes - and so on. They can heat well, but there's a reason they are know for "hamster breath" defroster is pathetic - just stuff to think about.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best air-cooled heat, get a type 3. For even better heat, get a Subaru.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st off, MikeC- I applaud you actually participating in the thread you started! Applause

The latest comment between 69 and 75 really boils down to replacement costs to me.
75 bumper, $100, 69 bumper, $50
75 front seat, $100, 69 seat, $30
75 bumper brkt, $40, 69 brkt. $5
and so on. And don't even get started on things like light switches and taillight lenses.
If either year has a 1600 dp (as many 69s have been converted to), it will keep up with modern traffic.

As for heat, I've driven bugs in every Idaho season since 1986. What is this poor heat I keep hearing about? Any of my bugs will cook you until the meat falls off the bone- after a 2 minute warm up and 5 minutes down the road. (I am old and leathery, however, I'm sure basic outdoors toughness doesn't hurt)

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat in a bug is relative to engine speed and load. Puttin' around town on a rainy day at 35 degrees, you will have fogged windows. Cruising the highway at 50 MPH with good tight rubber seals, you will have a window cracked and your hat and gloves on the passenger seat.

I have driven a bug through a MN winter, a couple of Big Sky MT winters, and a few North Idaho winters. All early 70's cars, all of them heating anemically relative to a water cooled beater. Tolerable, but anemic nonetheless.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only brought it up as a thing for him to think about Wink it's always likely (more than likely) that this beetle he is going to look at won't have the proper equipment to heat the cab 100% might not even have any heating components at all - just suggesting , that since he is new to vw he might want to look into this kind of stuff so he will know what to look for/buy.

Might even want to consider a watercooled car for winter and get an old vw as a project later down the road.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I had mentioned earlier about the 1975 that I had tried to buy...the fellow decided I wasn't to buy buy the car...he sold it to someone else (still not sure why but he did)...we had shook hands and everything....funny people for sure...

I do have winter beater...it is a 1998 S10 truck...it does have heat...runs rather well too....

I will find one hopefully before summer rolls around...I have some cash stashed away...my wife is on board too...so I wont be in a rush to spend it...I will keep looking for a more modern vintage VW....

I remember back in 1979 when I was daily driving a 1971 Super Beetle...a little window scraper was used on the inside of the car...my high school buddy and I would laugh about it all the time...

Thanks so much guys for all the insight...

MikeC
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MikeC,

Any updates? Found anything yet?

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: