Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corney13's '63 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could trim the rag clip and install from the bottom up...plug welding from the top will require the least amount of body work....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread that I can relate to. Doing a similar restore as you ('64 Bug) and your post just gave me some needed motivation. I can relate to your tight workspace as I am restricted to a tight carport. Looking at your spotless garage floor I have a hunch that you may be as anal retenentive as I am, Bug will come out nice and look awesome. Have you decided to respray the original factory color?
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
you could trim the rag clip and install from the bottom up...plug welding from the top will require the least amount of body work....

I am still weighing my options here. I bought a pneumatic flange tool and was considering cutting the clip about an inch from the edge of the opening and cutting my roof and flanging the edge. Then fitting the roof into the stepped edge. In theory, it should rest flush. I saw a thread where some one did it that way. I like the idea of welding it in from the bottom, but wouldn't there be an issue with the lip at the front of the hole sitting too low? I think that way would work perfectly on every side except the front. I would cut to the window, but someone has obviously walked on the roof clip I bought, because it is dented in the front section.

I have not made any cuts yet. I basically come home and stare at it, trying to determine the best way. Shocked
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Great thread that I can relate to. Doing a similar restore as you ('64 Bug) and your post just gave me some needed motivation. I can relate to your tight workspace as I am restricted to a tight carport. Looking at your spotless garage floor I have a hunch that you may be as anal retenentive as I am, Bug will come out nice and look awesome. Have you decided to respray the original factory color?

Thank you! I do the same thing, I love to read other build threads. It helps give me motivation. I find it hard to spend the amount of time I would like to, with work and all, but I try to spend a little time on it each day, even if it is 20 minutes or so. It will get done eventually!! Not sure about the color yet. I will go with a factory color, but I have not decided which one yet. My first thought was to go back to Gulf Blue, but I also like Anthracite a lot. I think it looks very classy! That being said, I already bought my interior, which is TMI, OEM style, grey with off white pipping and OEM style door panels with the off white stripe down the middle. Carpet is charcoal. The good thing is that This color interior will go with just about anything, but if I was going to go with Anthracite from the beginning, I would have got brick red interior, because that looks to be the best combo. I still have a good amount of body work to do, so I have some time to make that final decision.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final color choice is always a tough choice on a project. If going for a 100% stock look I say go with the color that it left the factory in. If you you are doing a mild custom I say pick any VW color that really moves you. I think this is Athracite on a Bug, looks sharp!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adam91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good so far. I dig the fog lights!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I decided that I needed to do something easier than grafting a rag top, and wanted to get a sense of accomplishment, so I decided to put the rag top project aside and work on the interior.

I started with the rear seat bottom, as it was the only frame that did not need a respray. When I got my car it only came with the driver's seat and the rear seat bottom. It was missing everything else. Early on, when I first got the car, I went on the search for the missing seat frames. This is also where I started learning about what seats are correct for each year. Even though I had I driver's seat, I found that it was a better idea to look for a matching pair. After some searching for pre-64 front seats, I found some. The seller had them upholstered for a Manx like buggy, but realized that they sat too high, so he sold then with brand new purple and white covers! They are very well done, and to be honest, are higher quality than the TMI covers that I am replacing them with.... Oh well! Neutral For the rear seat back, I had a hell of a time finding a correct seat. I found one here on the Samba for $30, but it meant a 200 mile round trip car ride to get it..... Well, I needed it, so I went and got it.

Here is the seat bottom with an aftermarket cover it had on it:

Under that cover was this sweet mattress cover that was holding the padding and horsehair in one place:

I bought a foam kit for the rear seat, but strangely it did not look like it was shaped correctly in the back, so I decided to use the padding That I had. I covered the whole thing in black speaker box carpet to smooth out the bumps, then proceeded to fit the cover, It fit pretty well, even over my added carpet. The TMI cover has a thin rope that is threaded through the bottom of the cover. The old seat cover had a metal wire. My Father in law had the idea to tie the rope to stainless steel MIG wire and pull it through the seat cover. This worked surprisingly well! We fitted the hog rings and pulled the wire tight. One seat frame done!

From here, I dismantled my front seats, carefully removing the purple and white seat covers (Making sure they stayed nice for Grandpa Pete) and started painting the frames. I am using Rustoleum Almond appliance paint. If they seem dry enough tomorrow, I may fit the other covers. To be continued.....

Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the seats. I have to say, that it was a lot harder to do than I thought it was going to be. I still need to let them sit in the sun to get the wrinkles out, but over all I think they came out pretty good.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your seats turned out really nice...good job there!

If you don't mind, I have some questions about the covers. I think you said they're from TMI, right? What do they call that particular shade of gray? Are those heat-seamed pleats, or are they stitched in? Is the piping around the edges an off-white color? Did you custom-order them that way?
Was that white padding on the front seats put on over the original 'horse hair' pads? Is the plastic wrap there just to protect the padding from paint, or did you leave it on to help the covers slide over the frames? And finally, is that Rustoleum almond appliance paint fairly durable, and is it a pretty close match to the original silver beige?

Thanks for posting all the detailed photos too...very helpful!
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your seats turned out great. KCW has a really good video on their site on how to install a rag clip. Its exactly how I do them

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Your seats turned out really nice...good job there!

If you don't mind, I have some questions about the covers. I think you said they're from TMI, right? What do they call that particular shade of gray? Are those heat-seamed pleats, or are they stitched in? Is the piping around the edges an off-white color? Did you custom-order them that way?
Was that white padding on the front seats put on over the original 'horse hair' pads? Is the plastic wrap there just to protect the padding from paint, or did you leave it on to help the covers slide over the frames? And finally, is that Rustoleum almond appliance paint fairly durable, and is it a pretty close match to the original silver beige?

Thanks for posting all the detailed photos too...very helpful!

Yes, the seat covers are TMI "OEM style" gray with off-white piping. I also got matching door panels (also TMI) They just say gray, no particular shade noted. When I get home tonight I can get you the part number if you need it. They are heat seamed pleats. I didn't necessarily custom order them, but from how I understand it, most seat covers from TMI that are not the standard black or off-white basket weave are made to order. I found them in the J-Bugs catalog, but ordered them from Vintage Parts Inc. in Valencia California, near my home. I think this is the link to them on jbugs: http://www.jbugs.com/product/43-1123-Classic.html?Category_Code=101410 Again, I will verify the part number when I get home.

The padding from the front seats was put on from an upholstery shop under the purple and white covers. It is foam and stuffing, not horse hair. Because they were made specifically for those purple and white covers, I had to wrap them in an additional layer of carpet to get a good fit and firmness. I hope they hold up well, but only tine will tell!

The plastic wrap was just to keep paint off the foam when I painted the frames. Putting the carpet (Speaker box style carpet) around the foam made it pretty easy to slide the covers on. Getting the plastic strips on the front seat backs into the channel that holds them in place, was a different story. That was a real pain in the ass! My fingers were killing me by the time I finished.

I am not sure how durable the appliance paint will be in the long run, but from what I read, it is pretty durable. You want to make sure it fully cures though. I worked with it when it was still a little soft. I knicked a couple places that I will touch up later. I was just eager to get the seats done, but I probably should have waited. The color seems to be a pretty close match to the original frame color.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Hundley wrote:
your seats turned out great. KCW has a really good video on their site on how to install a rag clip. Its exactly how I do them

I have tried to look at the KCW video, but for same reason I can never get it to work.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the extra info on the seat covers & paint. Much appreiciated...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bit_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great price for your new project. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming! Will be following your build. I need the inspiration!! Popcorn
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE JOB! Your seats are lookin' great!
Corney13 wrote:
My Father in law had the idea to tie the rope to stainless steel MIG wire and pull it through the seat cover. This worked surprisingly well!

That's a great idea . . . it'll be much stronger than the string!

Glad Grandpa Pete is getting those nifty covers for his project . . . He's a cool dude! Smile

For a nice ragtop graft, install your new headliner first (just kiddin'!) . . . Look here . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501541&highlight=trp VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

For a nice ragtop graft, install your new headliner first (just kiddin'!) . . . Look here . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501541&highlight=trp VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

Thanks for the link! I think will end up doing something similar to that. I will definitely post pictures of my progress. I would have split the rain gutters, and the front and rear window seam, but the clip I bought is pretty well dented. (Not the ragtop hole, but much of the roof skin surrounding the hole)

If I went that direction anyway, I would have to pound out the dents as well as fix some rust damage on the roof near the rear of the top. I am kind of figuring that using most of my existing roof skin would be best, but no cuts have been made yet, so we will see.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sunday I decided to cut the section of the ragtop clip I was going to use out of the donor clip. Much of the clip around the opening was either dented or had rust. You will notice a section in the corner with some rust repair. The current plan is to cut the clip 1.5 inches from the opening along the sides and front and 1 inch from the back. I rounded the corners of my cut as well. I will then cut the opening in my cars roof 1/2 inch smaller that the clip and flange the edge, so in theory the clip should rest in the groove and sit flush with the rest of the roof. I then weld up the seam and grind down the welds. I have some testing to do before I cut my roof, but that is the plan for now. I still need to remove the supports at the front of the clip, but I will save that for another day. Here are pictures of the clip being cut...

Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday I decided to work on the gas gauge. The gauge that came with the car was scratched on the face from years of the needle rubbing on it. I took the glass out to look at it and promptly broke the needle. I searched the classifieds here and found a gauge that was missing the ball at the end of the wire for $25. Once it arrived I noticed that the screw that holds on the bracket in the back was rusted in place and that the gauge would not move. I tried to get the screw off the back and it just snapped off. So I decided to take the good things from each gauge and make one good one. What's interesting is that even thought they are the same part number, the internal parts were slightly different. On my original gauge the glass was actual glass and on the one I bought the glass was plastic. The mechanism in the gauge was metal on my original and plastic on the other. Also, the new gauge had a slightly thicker needle. I carefully dismantled both gauges and Frankensteined one good one.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corney13 wrote:

That looks like it is too far back lookin' at this photo . . . check yer measurements catefully! And don't forget the inner support pieces.
Note . . . the distance between the opening and the windshield is shorter on '58-'63 than '57 & earlier!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Corney13 wrote:

That looks like it is too far back lookin' at this photo . . . check yer measurements catefully! And don't forget the inner support pieces.
Note . . . the distance between the opening and the windshield is shorter on '58-'63 than '57 & earlier!

The Sharpie line at the front of the roof actually represents the edge of the opening, not where the clip end butts up. Basically the seam where the clip will meet the roof is a little more than 1.5 inches forward of that line. The measurements match the clip it was cut from. I will triple check that my measurements are correct before I make a cut into the roof. I actually just laid the clip on the roof, so It looks way off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: