Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corney13's '63 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Looking good! Lots of work to be done by your birthday, it will take many evenings and weekends to meet the deadline.

Don't worry if you don't make it, go for quality 1st and your deadline 2nd. You will kick yourself later for taking shortcuts.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Looking good! Lots of work to be done by your birthday, it will take many evenings and weekends to meet the deadline.

Don't worry if you don't make it, go for quality 1st and your deadline 2nd. You will kick yourself later for taking shortcuts.

Agreed. I am getting a little closer every week. But its going to be hard to make that mark. I wont sacrifice quality so, if it takes longer, than it does.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Finally finished the vents!! Ready for primer, but waiting until I have the doors and the hood ready for primer as well, before I paint them. it should be pretty difficult to tell that they were grafted in once it is painted. I ground down the inner welds, but also sourced a drip tray from Vintage Parts, here in Santa Clarita. That will cover any evidence from the inside of the deck lid as well.

Here are a few shots of the remainder of the process:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Thankyou for posting the photo with the vent measurements . I have a late model vented lid to do this on the " Purple Car " .
I dragged the photo to the Sedan Delivery thread for safe keeping .

Don't get frustrated ....My "one year build " just went into it's third year ; mostly because I went with having an engine and trans rebuilt . that is still holding me up ( ten months and WAITING )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Installed my pop out windows last night. I got them used, but installed new rubber. That was a real pain in the ass! Installing the rubber on the first one took me a couple hours, but the second took me about 20 minutes. I am not looking forward to fitting all of the new rubber for the rest of the car! My car did not come with pop outs originally, so I had to drill holes for the hinge plates and latch. I taped the rubber back in order to get the windows in the proper position. I really could have used a helper, but managed to get it done by myself. I will remove them for paint obviously, but I will leave them in for now. Safer on the car than on a shelf.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

sweet!

great work man, good motivation for my build.

engine lid vents look awesome too!
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice work on those vents. I might have to do that to mine.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

It has been a while since I worked on this car, but I am trying to reignite this build. I sold the Baja I was working on, so now I just have the one project. I am trying to wrap up the body work and get everything epoxied. I layed some primer on the front fenders and the decklid. I still have a little body work to do on them, but they are looking pretty good now. I need to epoxy primer the rear fenders, doors and hood, then more sanding and light body work, then high build primer, more sanding and THEN I should be ready for final paint! Just passed the 2 year mark on this build!

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Body work looks great and your saving big money doing it yourself.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Body work looks great and your saving big money doing it yourself.

Thanks! I wish my car was done and looked as good as yours! I want to drive this thing already!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Good to see yer makin' progress!
Nice work . . . the deck lid turned out great! Cool
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

glad to see you back at it dude, you are a couple steps ahead of me and I was getting worried I was catching up, and then how would I know what to do next??
just finished my deck lid using this thread as a guide, so thanks for that!

Cool
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice! I also just did the same decklid vent job. It was way more work than expected and I really don't want to do another.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
glad to see you back at it dude, you are a couple steps ahead of me and I was getting worried I was catching up, and then how would I know what to do next??
just finished my deck lid using this thread as a guide, so thanks for that!

Looks good! I am pushing to get this project moving, I will try to stay ahead of you! Wink

Doing more body work and getting the engine ready. I just ordered some powder coated tins in silver vein. I will post pictures when they arrive.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
Very nice! I also just did the same decklid vent job. It was way more work than expected and I really don't want to do another.

Yeah it was kind of a pain in the ass! I am pretty happy with how it looks so far!
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Man that looks good I'm going to steal you deck lid idea. How did you do your paint booth with a fan or just the door open?
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Man that looks good I'm going to steal you deck lid idea. How did you do your paint booth with a fan or just the door open?

I made a booth in the garage when I painted the body. lined the walls and floor with plastic drop cloth but left the garage door open and hung a piece of plastic from that. I wore a respirator of course. I painted the smaller items on the side of my house under a portable garage and put a tarp on the ground. So far everything I have painted is primer (epoxy), so I am not as concerned with dust. Not sure If I will do final paint myself or not.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Any more progress on the Bug?
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Any more progress on the Bug?

I am trying to devote more time to the bug, but my "Honey Do" list keeps growing!! I did manage to start assembling the engine. It is a 1914cc with dual Spanish Weber 44 IDFs. I ordered powder coated tins in Silver Vein. I think it looks pretty cool. I still need to rebuild the carbs (Bought used) and buy an exhaust. Unfortunately, the exhaust I want is $$$$! I am looking at the A1 Sidewinder with the exhaust that exits out the factory location. Pictured below.

Besides that, my biggest hurdle is getting the car painted. I have bodywork to finish, which I can't seem to find the time to do. At the very least, I hope to have the car ready for paint around the first of the year. The sad thing is that the car is so close, but I am having a hell of a time getting this last bit of bodywork done. I have pretty much everything else ready to go. My interior is ready to go in, I have all new rubber and trim ready. I just need to get the thing painted and assemble. The car is even fully registered and insured! I just have to keep pushing along. I am committed to making sure this car does not become a project casualty!!

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Your 1914cc engine looks awesome with the silver vein PC. Super clean and sanitary!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: