Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless steel Thing exhaust
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Stainless steel Thing exhaust Reply with quote

Well I now have the perfect exhaust for my thing with room to grow. I'm building a little out of the norm engine and wanted to buy a exhaust that would cover my needs and last forever.
My 1835 build is using one of ACN super stock carbs and I've made a few adjustments with the help of Alstrup to come up with MY perfect engine.
I wanted more power but still simple and somewhat stock looking. Living in a flat state the 1600 had all the power I needed but the PO had some hacker rebuild the engine and it was missing 1/2 the parts and ran like crap so I decided to rebuild it over this winter.
One of my main requirements was a exhaust that incorporated a functional heat riser connection not the afterthoughts that are on most exhausts these days. The single carb runs great when the manifold is properly heated. These riser connections use a high and low pressure to achieve this.
Secondly, I plan to run one of ThedubShops FI kits at a later stage so I had a O2 bung installed where I can keep it on all the time and it will not stick out like a soar thumb. Until I FI the car I still will have the O2 sensor installed since I have a AFR guage in the car, never hurts to know what I'm running.
The quality of this work is excellent and I mean EXCELLENT, I can't believe how well it turned out. It will exit the bumper on both sides like stock and ground clearance will be the same. Very Happy Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

O2 bung up close the sensor will be barely noticeable from behind the car

Getting there
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO who built that exhaust? I have wanted something like that for my dad's car and that looks perfect.
Nice job on getting that.
Ken
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/Vintagespeed
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear it once you get it running.
I have sent them a message on the exhaust.
Thanks
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember they are half way around the world so I would always get returned emails from them in the middle of the night
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great exhaust. Please report back after you've been running it for a few months for a performance review. I'd love to get one of these, but just don't have the cash for the part and shipping at this point. The Thing exhaust isn't listed on their website yet, but their other VW exhausts are selling around $650 bucks.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a nice setup.
I know it's rude to ask, but can you give us a rough idea of the cost of that system?
Thanks, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was right inline with the others on their website
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give an update once my car is done but it will be awhile I'm doing a bunch of misc stuff also
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they achieve the high/low pressure for he risers?
Looks like the attachment points are in the "stock" locations..

I imagine there is an internal tube facing the engine for the High side, and then the tube facing Away from the engine on the Low side?

Feed and draw?

I will be having my Stainless TTS exhaust modded for this effect as well..

Looks awesome, BtW....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

I imagine there is an internal tube facing the engine for the High side, and then the tube facing Away from the engine on the Low side?

Feed and draw

Looks awesome, BtW....

Yep you guessed it, it's hard to see in picture #2 but the pipe is pointing outward and pic #3 faces the head and is angle cut for a ram air effect. And thanks I love the way it turned out.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can see that becoming extremely popular, very cool. Somebody better go post it up in the sticky. Very, very cool.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jzsquared wrote:

Yep you guessed it, it's hard to see in picture #2 but the pipe is pointing outward and pic #3 faces the head and is angle cut for a ram air effect. And thanks I love the way it turned out.

Hmmm... I looked at your pic #2,3 again...
It seems as if your High side is at Cyl 2, and the Low side at Cyl 4..
I'm trying to imagine those two cylinders and what they are doing in relation to each other, that would benefit from the last one to fire being the High side....and Not the first one fired(of the two)...

........oh, wait.... If #2 was the High side, then it would simply blow hot air back towards #4 and vice versa.....
With #4 being the high side, this will Pull the heat from #2 as #4 is exhausting..... I think..... Meh, it's 2am.. I am thinking about this, instead of sleeping...... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe
Through out the years I think VW went back and forth between which side was high and and which low, either way I think it should work fine. I won't really know till I drive it but I have read posts from the "Pros" on this site that it works so I'm trusting that. Secondly Vinage Speed could make theses the other way so they must have tested it.
I'll run some instant thermometer tests when it's up and running
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iltis74 wrote:
Yeah I can see that becoming extremely popular, very cool. Somebody better go post it up in the sticky. Very, very cool.

Nothing would make me happier than to be in the halls of eternal knowledge on TheSamba Very Happy
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I last replaced my muffler 25 years ago (Arizona) and at the time I had an option to buy an original 1974 VW Thing muffler but the mechanic talked me out of spending the money. I didn't know any better. I let him install a merged header Empi that still makes me cringe when I see it hang down so low behind the bumper.

I was literally about to pull the trigger on another exhaust I knew was going to make me unhappy for another many many years. Then you posted this.

Alas, I will hold off until I can pick up one of these.

It was made in Taiwan?! Does Vintage Speed make all their exhausts in Taiwan? Did they say they will begin to offer this muffler on their site? Or is it something that requires a lot of customized discussion? In other words, did you talk them into making it? Will they now be making many more?

Thanks! It looks terrific!
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i emailed Vintage Speed they got back to me the next night since the different time zone. I did everything by email it it only took a 3 emails
for them to start building it. I don't think is gonna stock item but it was built and at my door within 3 weeks so I was happy with that.
I would suggest visiting their website and reviewing the option for any of the other mufflers so you will know what you need. For instance I am using heater boxes so you need the heater box flange. I also asked for only one O2 bung and a different placement than their standard. It will make since when you see their website. I was this close to buying one of their lowered bus mufflers when I saw this one on their FB page and quickly changed my mind.
All in all I'll rate their service A+ timely response for around the world
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. The original muffler and Thing exhaust system did not have an O2 sensor. Correct?

O2 sensors in modern cars fail and cost a chunk of change to replace. Correct?

Why on Earth would anyone add a system like this to a Thing?

Can't you get an exhaust without such a gizmo? What is the point of putting an O2 sensor on a car that didn't originally come with one? Or am I completely wrong here?
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No O2 bung as original, correct, it is for aftermarket fuel injection, getting rid of the carbs completely. VS could build without one, or throw in as many as you'd like, but having one installed to keep your options open and simply screwing in a plug if you're not using it is a good way to go, though a SS plug may gall the threads upon removal. The injection/carb reliability/simplicity/power debate rages on and on in other threads, and I'm hoping it doesn't start here, at least before sound check videos are posted.

Although, it can also be used for a wideband air/fuel ratio reader to simply help in tuning your carbs, where you can either leave it in permanently and put a gauge on the dash, or just use it to help tune the carbs and then install a plug and drive.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, the O2 sensor bung is plugged.

With a non stock intake setup; dual carbs, fuel injection, etc., the best way to tune it is with a wide band oxygen sensor and a device to read or log data during various combinations of speed, load, etc.
Accurate measurements of fuel/air ratio is the right way to select the appropriate carburetor jets, or adjust fuel injection.

Knowledge is horsepower.

When the testing is done, some people chose to mount a fuel/air meter on their dash, in which case they would keep the oxygen sensor installed. Others will remove the oxygen sensor, and replace it with a threaded plug until next time.

Even when nothing is wrong with our cars, some of us like to tinker. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: