Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single bag ball joint set up
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daves4rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Single bag ball joint set up Reply with quote

I have entered the world of seriously modifying a 67 bug.
I have seen several internet ideas to set up a single airbag ball joint front end. I have basically followed some of the ideas, however they are only lifting the pan, not the entire car. The torsion leaves are the problem. before the car gets lifted, the leaves need to load which takes up alot of bag hieght.
Some have told me to use 3/4" steel square stock, think bad idea. Can not find 3/4" square spring stock.
Anyone out there that has accually baged the car with a 1 bag set up, and if so, would you enlighten my dumb ass how to.?
Dave
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would use a 3/4 chromoly bar in place of the springs. Remember to dimple the ends for the grub screw to tighten to.
Daves4rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Single bag ball joint front end Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
If one wheel hits a bump and goes up wouldn't the other do the same as it is tied with a straight solid no bending bar.?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to retain independent suspension you pretty much have to keep both springs in play. Thats the kicker..
A solid bar or two .. in place of the springs makes one hell of a sway bar... Laughing

How about adding 2 lever arms to the original center tube sections. Basically cut the center section loose, like old select a drop, but something similar to traditional twin sway-a-way center adjusters (adding tubes over tubes for strength), and connecting both of those lever arms together with Heim Joint Rods (or ?) and to the bag. when the center mounted bag is inflated and deflated it is reacting on BOTH springs.

That way the center sections could be set with enough preload to get instant movement out of the springs and it will retain independent suspension.

Granted.. you will pretty much loose the spare tire well...

Something like this... with an added twist...of the second spring.

Link

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daves4rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: single bag ball joint set up Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info.
Do you think this guy used 3/4" solid bar insted of torsion leaves.?
I am building rat rod ( volksrod ) and do not have fenders or most of front end. Will have the hood though.
I hear that the thing torsion leaves are stiffer than the bug ones.
Would like to incorporate both tubes to lift, but I have to be diff. LOL.
The video you attached is where I got my bright idea. Notice though he is only lifting pan, no body wieght. I did same thing but when I stand on pan, it hit floor with bag filled as the torsion leaves did not fully load. What a major pain. This is what I get for thinking I'm special.
I think your idea about two points of lifting might be my next move.
What a pain for sure, but you know it's the cool factor.
Once I master this issue I will post on hear how to do it with all the trials, and what not to do.
Thanks again for the input,
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: single bag ball joint set up Reply with quote

Daves4rail wrote:
Thanks for the great info.
Do you think this guy used 3/4" solid bar insted of torsion leaves.?,

That would be my guess.. or simply a bar with squares welded on the end..
Like a Formula Vee Sway Bar... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6770436

Sounds like you simply need to incorporate both torsion spring to hold the weight and PRELOAD them for body weight..

If its going in an extended beam Volksrod... the center mount bag is going to be into the hood..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a strap on the control arm it would restrict the arm from dropping, as the car is trying to lift up. 4X4 guys use a strap so the shocks don't get ripped out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: