Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yes, I'm a newbie, but I'm excited!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes! Say it isn't so Tim Donahoe!

Rosemary- That Sunbug is a great car. I wish I needed one- I would not hesitate to fly down and drive that thing home- with my camera at my side, a notepad and a big grin. I'd drop my Lovebug and maybe my '63 to have Tim's car.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainkowboy wrote:
ROAD TRIP!!!

How about a Relay-Across-America ?
You know-----you take it a couple of hunnert miles, the next guy takes it some farther east (or is that "further"?---I never can remember), and before you know it, the car is in Norfolk.
Clementine69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I lost my '66, (mayherestinpeace) I looked for another Beetle for 10 years, no joke. Always scanning through Craigslist, keeping an eye on estate sales, etc. Thought I knew what I wanted, either another 66 or '67, like my first VW that I inherited from my grandmother. Test drove some, passed on them or wanted them badly but they had been restored into such gloriousness the pricetag was out of my budget. (and I wanted a car to DRIVE, not a trailer queen!) It wasn't an obsession, but the want never went away either.

Then I was shopping at Sams Club a couple of months ago, came out of the store and saw Clementine. My heart stopped, it was lust at first sight. Probably good the PO didn't come out while I was crawling over and under every visible inch, it's never fun to walk up on somebody molesting your car. (I know this from personal experience) Took a couple pictures, including a close-up of the for sale sign, which I then texted to my husband, for fear my phone might blow up and I would lose the number. I was so besotted, I accidentally walked into a moving car because I was looking back at her instead of where I was going.

She was a '69, a year I would have never even considered before. She was orange, I preferred blues and whites, calm colors. She cost more than I had ever planned on spending. (but not outrageously so) But once I drove her, she purred like a content kitten, sucked my heart in, and I knew she not only belonged to me, but I belonged to her.

Anyway, long story short, don't settle for any car that isn't RIGHT. You will know. And you won't have to talk yourself into it.

Looking through some old photographs over Christmas, I realized I shouldn't be surprised by falling for a '69. I spent enough time in and playing on one growing up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitest, it is so, I'm afraid.

My daughter moved out last weekend (actually, the Thursday before). We have a PT Cruiser and my daughter has her own Honda. Still, when I decided to get back into ACVWs a couple years ago, I felt I needed a bug--because of the back seat, you know, in case my daughter wanted to go somewhere in the bug when my wife also wanted to go.

Anyway, that fantasy never happened Rolling Eyes .

My first VW was a 1969 Karmann Ghia. I have owned several bugs since then, and even another Ghia, but I really wanted another Karmann Ghia. Now that Becky's out of the house, I should just go ahead and sell my Sunbug and get some Ghia (which will no doubt need a lot of work). Besides, I've pretty much fixed up the bug to meet my standards Cool

My wife was shocked when I told her (which surprised me), but I'd rather sell the bug in it's present condition and get back at least some of the ton of money I put into her (not my wife--the car).

My bug is not a show car, by the way. The pictures can be deceiving. The PO riveted in a battery tray, which was okay with me because it worked out (it was a good battery tray job, so why fix what ain't really broke), and the back bumper has a slight upward curve (it needs a little hammering at the bracket to set it correctly, a task that I was afraid to do myself, due to chipping the chrome, etc.), but that's no big deal. Also, the PO put these appliques on the headliner (to cover holes in some cases, but sometimes just ... well, because she liked them), and the paint, although looking pretty good, has a scratch or two (not much, really) and some fine rock chips. Other than this, I can't really find much else except some minor surface rust in some exterior pan areas (which I was going to address this spring, but not if I sell it before then).

Oh--and the transmission leaks about 1 ounce of fluid--every other year. Don't laugh! I keep close tabs on stuff like that .

So the car isn't a show tune. That's why I didn't ask ten grand for it. But it's a reliable car that has everything working like it did when it was new.

By the way, I will, for the most part, continue to come to this forum.

Tim
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - is it a semi-auto?

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Oh--and the transmission leaks about 1 ounce of fluid--every other year. Don't laugh! I keep close tabs on stuff like that.
Tim

Tim - the transmissions on my 1970 and 1971 have also leaked a tiny amount of gear oil since I first got them. I don't worry about it, and just drain and refill like every 50K miles. Others have posted about their engines and transaxles being leak free - but I'm not one of them. I took such care building my first 1835cc engine (back in 1976) hoping it would not leak, but the realities got to me. That's VW life.

Unless I see a "real" leak - on any vehicle - I typically just "watch it".
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vam, no. My bug is a manual. If you saw my for sale ad, it mentioned that I had a fairly new "auto-stick starter in it. But I did that because I didn't want to fool with the starter bushing messing up on me. Besides, the auto-stick starter has a bit more power.

Cusser, yes, I had a pesky flywheel seal that I addressed (two times until I got it right), but a little oil weeping from any of the normal places doesn't bug me. I'm not going to pull an engine because a pushrod seal is weeping a little. But a flywheel or transmission seal? Now that's another matter.

I have checked my transmission fluid many times. It's always a beautiful yellow, so I didn't mess with changing it.

Tim
RosemaryT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's "Sun Bug" is a beautiful car and I *love* the color combo! Just love it!!

However, California is a long way from Norfolk, VA. Sad

On a related note, tomorrow is Saturday, so it's time for me to go look at another car!! LOL.

This VW (about 30 minutes from home) didn't sell on eBay, so he's listed it AGAIN on Craigs List for $3,800, with a desperate plea to make "any offer."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Volkswagen-Beetle-Reb...7675.l2557

Here's the Craigs List ad. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4827079085.html

Opinions?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's lowered and to the point that the tires hit while going over speed bumps, and it has dual carbs. Is that what you're looking for?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RosemaryT wrote:
On a related note, tomorrow is Saturday, so it's time for me to go look at another car!! LOL.

This VW (about 30 minutes from home) didn't sell on eBay, so he's listed it AGAIN on Craigs List for $3,800, with a desperate plea to make "any offer."

Opinions?

From the e-Bay listing . . . "- Driver side door closes hard"
That could be from rust in the lower hinge area or from collision damage . . . CHECK CAREFULLY!!!!

FWIW . . . when a seller says the car has no rust . . . that translates as the seller probably did NOT know where to look for rust . . . or is lying about it!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary - take a friend w/you. Buy Tim's SunBug, drive it balk to Norfolk, get to know the US in an AWESOME RIDE in good company. You won't regret it!!!

Or, pay the $1k or so to have it shipped to Norfolk. It's worth it and you'll still be $1.5k ahead of your budget.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RosemaryT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
It's lowered and to the point that the tires hit while going over speed bumps, and it has dual carbs. Is that what you're looking for?

That's a very good point, Dwayne.

It's not.

And I really do not want a project car.
XR6T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me buying a car (any car) is like buying a house. If it doesn't feel right, like a pair off old slippers, I walk away.

WE recently purchased our first air cooled bug. I'm 70 and have never owned am air cooled bug. Purchased a new Beetle for the wife two years ago and love it. Love it so much I had to buy an original Laughing

Anyway, we looked at a few and eventually enquired about one that was pictured as a Herbie. When I asked the girl who owned it to describe what condition it was in I received the following reply, "Its got a wooden steering wheel and gear knob. That's all I can tell you, I'm a girl."

Now I must admit I didn't have a clue about what a Herbie was, not being a VW fan. In fact, I thought, "What idiot would do a beetle up as a race car?"

On the look at it day, I took one look at it and found there appeared to be a solid foundation to start getting a good car back together. But the main thing, it felt good.

Have had it six months, spent a bomb on it, had more pleasure fixing things, buying tools, parts and learning than I deserve.

The correct car is always out there looking for the right person.
RosemaryT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR6T wrote:

Anyway, we looked at a few and eventually enquired about one that was pictured as a Herbie. When I asked the girl who owned it to describe what condition it was in I received the following reply, "Its got a wooden steering wheel and gear knob. That's all I can tell you, I'm a girl."

It saddens me that women are so ready to act dumb and talk dumb, and that "I'm a girl," has come to mean, "I'm a moron when it comes to anything mechanical."

Then again, I eschew the traditionally female pastimes.

But I digress.

As to finding the right car for me, Like Judge Learned Hand said, "I'll know it when I see it."

Wink

In the meantime, I'm very grateful to be learning so much from this forum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: