Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ball joint to link pin adapter
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

SO i bought a 68 bug and want t build it into a baja but its ball joint and i have a link pin front end. I really dont want to have to build a tubular front end for it so i found adapters. http://www.pacificcustoms.com/saco60-2021.html , http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1064757 . Has anyone used these or know anything about them
wyattsdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go with the steel ones, bolt it and a couple good tack welds.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use neither. I would use a conversion beam, or just use the ball joint beam.

http://www.bugzyla.com/new/parts.php

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: E Reply with quote

wyattsdad wrote:
i would go with the steel ones, bolt it and a couple good tack welds.
But will i need a rack and pinion and that requires changing steering right?
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I would use neither. I would use a conversion beam, or just use the ball joint beam.

That seems nice if it is cheap ill probobly do that thank you
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Considering the constraints listed above, I agree with Brian that would be the best way to go.

Otherwise, I really think that if you NEED the longer travel allowed by the linkpin, you need the front frame tied into the roll cage.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those adapters are just failure points if you're going to be bashing around off-road.

And yea, if you need travel then you should have a sturdy frame. Then if you have a tube frame, you may as well have it tied to the beam.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those things move the front forward, add leverage to the frame head junction, relocate the tires forward...

American cars are over engineered. If an American car needs a 9/16" shaft, it gets a 3/4" shaft. American transmissions can typically handle 50% more power. German cars are engineered. If an German car needs a 9/16" shaft, it gets a 9/16" shaft. they don't last long when stressed beyond design limits, you have to compensate for the extra stress

the roll cage is the best way. if you can't do it the best way, use the right part:

http://www.mooreparts.com/3952-701037113G/

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Those adapters are just failure points if you're going to be bashing around off-road.

And yea, if you need travel then you should have a sturdy frame. Then if you have a tube frame, you may as well have it tied to the beam.
In the long run it will be caged and probobly have a tubular front end just for now im not ready to do that its a project and im limited on money
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

bringing this back up i think im gonna buy this off a friend what do you guys think of this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its got an adapter and everything works
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

What exactly are you trying to do? Strengthen the front or get more travel?
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

this is a friends i have ball joint curently and would like to go to linkpin its stronger and more travel than stock balljoint and then i dont have to lift it as its already lifted. I plan on buying it from him i just wanna know if this seems good or not because the steerering extensions are kinda funky
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

The beam looks to be fine. The ball joint to link pin adapters I don't approve of. Apparently it's been used on the street for some time OK. For offroad...Nahh The only adaptation from ball joint to link pin I approve of is Bugzila's conversion beams or using roll cage to support the beam instead of the frame head. If you run cage out to the beam, then the adapters would be OK. I would not trust them on their own. The steering shaft adapter is kinda hokey too. There are better ways to extend the shaft.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

Ya that's what I was thinking this is gonna be temporary and it will be braced to the cage someday and ill prob change the steering extension
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

You'll be surprised what a ball joint beam will handle. I'd run the bj till the time comes to cage the car.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: ball joint to link pin adapter Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
You'll be surprised what a ball joint beam will handle. I'd run the bj till the time comes to cage the car.

i need to replace ball joints on my beam because they are all going out already so i figured it would be easier to just put the linkpin on and its not gonna be doing anything hard on it or any offroad at all till it has a cage
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: