Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pets in Garage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Pets in Garage Reply with quote

I was just thinking, I have gone to many shops for my vw only to find a cat running around (almost never a dog). How do you guys keep your cat or something from drinking some oil or antifreeze?
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave oil and antifreeze laying around. Problem solved.

If it's leaking from the vehicle, a drip tray with some absorbent material. Problem solved.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green71volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to worry about antifreeze because my VW doesn't have any. lol! I've had oil laying around and never had any animals even get close to drinking it and we've got lots of critters roaming these parts. I usually have more of a problem with the cats jumping up on the hoods and getting inside the cars when the doors open while working on it.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M'kay. I do not know why, but I had those thoughts when my cat would walk by when I was working on my ghia. Also notchback, nice 6969 post Rolling Eyes . It wont be in a few seconds when you reply Laughing
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart animals, duh Wink

I have had all fluids laying around, spills, leaks whatever - power steering fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, diffrent kinds of oil, grease, trans fluids - my dog never cared to mess with any of it, cat didnt seem to care whenever he wondered out there ( yes I keep an eye on them, just to make sure ). main problem I have is that the dog used to piss on my tire, and my gf has a outside cat that pisses on my Ghia, also climbs on it (I hate that cat).

Also after I was done doing whatever I was doing, I would hose down the spills - just so I don't get yelled at by you guys.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fluids taste pretty bad so it's not normally a problem. Antifreeze is about the only thing you really have to worry about.

We always had cats in the race shop so we never left antifreeze out uncovered, but we never worried about other stuff. The only problems with the cats was cat hair. They liked to sleep in nice comfortable race car seats.

And yes they did leave a few foot prints on a couple cars but for the most part it was nice to have them around.

We had one cat that took a 150 mile trip in a customer's trailer once when they came to pick up their race car.

Unfortunately there is a never ending supply of cats and dogs that need a home, so it's pretty easy to replace one if they do get into the bad stuff.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a cat fan at all but.....

Choosing between a Cat with footprints and shed fur
vs .......
a family of rapidly multiplying mice?

Cat wins hands down!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the OP's question, I just put a sign next to the spill that says, "If you can read, don't drink this- if you can't, never mind."

I have the smartest cats around- and few mice. Cats don't lick stuff that they don't like the flavor of on other cats' butts. I also do not collect open containers of stuff- I hate opening a closed space to great smells like that stuff, or butts.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antifreeze is sweet, dogs have a sweet tooth, cats don't. And they keep all sorts of rodents out of your cars and trucks. Occasionally you get a cat with character and they are cool.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Black lab that we assumed might have licked up some antifreeze off the floor at the shop. Took her to the vets, after 4 days on an alcohol IV drip and 1300.00 the dog was never the same. Worst thing is we weren't even sure she drank any.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought my anthracite 62 home from the paint shop....had it setting in the sun... Went inside for about 32seconds came out and ole kitty was sitting on the hood sun bathing....

Still have the cat and if you look closely, you can see where his paws slid down the hood when he hopped off.

Had that cat for 15 years... He's blind now and very over weight... But very fortunate to have escaped his death that day.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 1980s, was working on interior of my '71 Convertible on a Sunday afternoon. That evening noticed we couldn't find the cat, looked all over for him. Thursday afternoon I was taking out the garbage, and noticed the cat looking out the window at me, his head underneath the old blanket that I covered the top with (I closed the doors on that to hold the blanket in place). Cat never meowed apparently when we walked by over the course of those days. There's a reason we call them stupid cats.

So four days in there. Cat was 100% fine, and so was the VW, so smells, no mess. Mrs. Cusser doesn't believe it, but absolutely true.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:
Cats don't need the attention that a dog needs.
Most aircooled garages don't have open pails of antifreeze. Lol
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antifreeze no longer tastes sweet.

WASHINGTON (Dec. 13, 2012) --The Humane Society Legislative Fund and Consumer Specialty Products Association jointly announce an agreement to voluntarily add a bitter flavoring agent to antifreeze and engine coolant manufactured for sale for the consumer market in all 50 states and the District of Columbia to prevent animals and children from being poisoned by the sweet-tasting liquid. Poisoning occurs because animals are attracted to the sweetness of antifreeze and engine coolant, which inadvertently spills in our driveways or is left in open containers in garages.

I don't think the other fluids are tempting.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
antifreeze no longer taste sweet.

Huh, I didn't know this was true.

I know that in 2013 we replaced my step moms radiator and I tasted some antifreeze ( just so I know the taste ) and it was very sweet - a rather pleasant taste actually, lol. Also managed to get the stuff all over my self while replacing the radiator. We must of just had an old jug of it sitting around, I haven't tasted any since - but I know it doesn't smell very pleasant. Also, I do prefer cats, just not the one that leaves the outside of car smelling like ammonia on occasions when I work on it.
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you taste the oil and grease also?

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tncsparky wrote:
Did you taste the oil and grease also?

What do you take me for, a psychopath?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
antifreeze no longer taste sweet.

Huh, I didn't know this was true.

I know that in 2013 we replaced my step moms radiator and I tasted some antifreeze ( just so I know the taste ) and it was very sweet - a rather pleasant taste actually, lol.

Are you sure it wasn't some vintage Austrian wine? Razz [/quote]
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I just brought my anthracite 62 home from the paint shop....had it setting in the sun... Went inside for about 32seconds came out and ole kitty was sitting on the hood sun bathing....

Still have the cat and if you look closely, you can see where his paws slid down the hood when he hopped off.

Had that cat for 15 years... He's blind now and very over weight... But very fortunate to have escaped his death that day.

This reminded me of a somewhat similar story. Many years ago my neighbor across the street had a Model A. He did a complete frame off restoration on the car. He didn't have a garage at the time, only a car port.

A few days after the car was painted, he pulls into his driveway to find one of the neighborhood kids using the front fender as a sliding board for his dog! This turned into a really ugly situation.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wrenched many years professionally and my 2 dogs spent a lot of time in garages. They never showed any interest in eating or drinking anything around the garage. They would much rather eat cow patties and rotting deer carcasses than any automotive chemical.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: