Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1969 deluxe build...daily driver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Looks great.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here are some pics from earlier in the week. Hoping to add a few more of this windshield sill replacement....body work and primer then the window being put back in. But for now you can see what we did you just fit the metal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also ordered in the cab floor pieces needed for each bus. I have stripped the Hippie bus down even further and if the rain subsides today I will get picks of that and post it. More to come!!!

Remember that green transporter is up for sale, if interested please contact me.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through your posts, congrats on the state championship!

67sash wrote:
My wife was going to kill me, but I know had 2 1969 Deluxes. 1 transporter and one that I cant figure out if it was a tin-top or someone added the Westfalia Zbed and closet..

Great buses you have there, I'm jealous! I'm going to subscribe to your thread and live vicariously through you. I'm a little confused though, so you have 4 buses? 3? or 2? And you're keeping the Hippie Rez bus and selling the green one above?
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two buses. Both 1969 Deluxes, 1 is a transporter the other has the westfalia closet and zbed. I refer to the green bus....as the green bus. The other is the hippie bus, for obvious reasons. I am keeping as much of the original paint as possible on the green one and selling it when I think I have done enough to get a good amount of money to finish my bus. The hippie bus will receive a full brand new paint job and be the bus that I keep for myself. Thanks for the interest!!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my bad. That's what I was thinking, I just read that as a list of buses but you were just describing the two.

I think it's great you are doing metal and paint work on both. It'll be two more buses back on the road in good condition thanks to you. Sounds like a good plan, the green bus will be kept original and you can make the hippie bus into the camper you want with the money from the green bus.

67sash wrote:

Again, since everyone is liking the green bus it will be going up for sale. I have spent thousands to ensure the body work is not only done but done correctly with quality materials. I will only be priming these areas to allow the future owner the decision on saving the original paint or doing a complete respray.

Rather than just priming the repaired areas on the green bus, I would suggest blending in matched paint with the original paint while you're at it. You will get a lot more money for the bus if the paint is presentable and a lot of VW people would be happy with this kind of paint repair, preserving the (highly desirable) original paint. If the repairs are left in primer it would also mean that the windshield will have to come back out if the next owner wants to blend the paint, another new seal, other new seals, hassles, etc.

Plug in the M-Code here to find out if the hippie bus came as a camper originally and other info:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php

There are other things that will tell you if it was a camper but that will be the easiest and most informative. It looks to have a headliner so that makes me think that it was not a camper originally. Sorry if I'm pointing out stuff you already know, just mentioning it in case. A lot of transporters have had camper parts put into them over the years, I've done it myself.
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about a respray...but the people who I know who have sold over sea's and what seams to me the purist crowd are sooo touchy about paint. I have decided to leave it in a high quality primer and let the next owner decide out to go about restoring the paint. I have also decided to not fix a major dent on the green bus as again....repairing it correctly can be debated. The windshield is back in with a new seal and the bus is about ready to be put back together and officially put up for sale.

All the original panels, seats (middle bench included, bumpers, and lights. Think it should fetch a quality price that will make the new owner and myself happy. And yes, another early bay will be on the road.

Hopefully more pics to come mid week.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, it is a nice complete and original bus and someone will be very glad to have it. You are correct that a lot of people are particular about original paint. It's a big selling point. Not only does it look great but also because you know what you are getting. That is a quality bus and should command a good price, I agree. Best of luck with the sale and with the one you're keeping!
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have be slow...and wet around here. I did pull the headliner in the hippie bus and am still waiting for the cab floors from Klassicfab. Our house is under a remodel and the wife has been all over me to not focus all my time on the bus. Hoping to pull the motor this week and then start stripping the RHINO-lining when the weather cooperates later this week. For me the 2015 football season is starting to pick up therefore, I NEED TO GET THESE BUSES MOVING FASTER!

TTYL.

Question for you all, and I don't want this to come across as anything other than a question.

What value to you put in the differences in these VW? Say pre-67 bugs versus later ones or splitty verse bay and more to the question Early Bay verse Late BAY.

When I started my classic air-cooled VW education it seems obvious that there was a pecking order. Splitty, pre-67 bug, early bay then late bay. Of course that list could break down even more with some of the other models, but most seem to not care and just go with what they can get for cheap....maybe its just my personality.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every era of bug and bus has it's own fans and detractors. Some people won't drive anything post '67 (or earlier even). Some want the most modern and don't care for early, more primitive cars. The 1967 and earlier cars are considered the "classic" vws by a lot of people. There is some snobbery among the older car enthusiasts, I think it's silly but it's there. Personally I like all the aircooled cars (with a few exceptions) and they all have their pros and cons. As far as early vs late bay, some like both and some would never own the other. They both command a lot of money these days.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been following this with interest as i have some similar body work i want to get done and silverton is not too far for the right body guys. looks like klassic fab still doesn't have the battery tray or rear corner...who did you go with for that and how was the fit? also, i tried to google your guys in silverton but didn't come up with anything for contact info. lil help?
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Wolfsburg West for those to parts, and have had no trouble. I started with the Klasssicfab because I believe they are the only ones who make window sill replacements. Currently for some reason the entire US seems to be out of the left (drivers side here in US) cab floor replacement other than Klassicfab. I waited and waited because Klassicfab is considerably more expensive and further to ship (Florida to Oregon). I would not of gone this route if I could have found the pieces I need either from a donor or a closer vendor.

I have read all the threads on here about replacement panels, after doing my research and doing the pieces I am doing I still believe that I am replacing panels correctly and with a quality piece. Once installed and painted I would question anyone's ability to notice the difference.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, way up in the thread you said you had used WW for the battery tray. missed that.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am waiting for the same driverside floor piece & windshield sil Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is for the whole floor, but its klassicfab and they have it in stock. The weak Canadian $ works in your favor too. Its my local shop, I buy stuff from them all the time and highly recommend them.

http://store.concept1.ca/Bay-Front-Floor-68-69-%28KFBW140%29-KFBW140/
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,problem is I already payed for them
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed that part, that'd be super frustrating! Good luck
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called today, my piece in on a truck heading west!!! This stall sucks! Only 3 months to the PNW swapmeet and I must drive this bus there. Shocked
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha,her ya,Our big one day swap in Lansing is March 29th.
But to darn cold and snowy that time up here Laughing
I'll call my supplier later for an up-date,, fingers crossed Laughing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many better shows to be at then springmeet...Rolling Eyes

On the plus side, you should say hello when you get it up here. When,not if. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: