Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chevrolet S10 Trucks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda want to get one now.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jeep Comanches out there Eric?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could find the all elusive 91-92 Commanche then go for it. The 90 and down Renix fuel injection on the 4.0L is not as reliable as the later set up nor does it make as much power.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
I have recently become infatuated with Chevy S10 pickups. My Dad bought one new in 1982, and drove it until '89 when finances dictated it be sold.

Anyone have any real world experience with these? I see them all over the road still, both first and second generation versions. Looking for reliability issues, specific things to look for, etc. I know, as with VWs, any older car will have issues, just looking for thoughts from those who have S10 experience.

If I were to get one, it would be a daily driver (retiring my bus for recreational use).

Have a story or pics to share? Please do. Thanks

I had an 88 S-10 extended cab for 2 years, then sold it. Now, my DD is a 97 S-10 4.3L V6 with 150K on it, and it's drug a type 3 Notchback from Idaho to Michigan, along with a T-34 KG from Iowa to Michigan. Can't complain about that truck 1 bit, and I use it as my long distance cruiser (when I'm not driving my Notchback). The only major thing I've done, was have the trans rebuilt (they're known to go at 140K, and this 1 went right at that.
I've also got a rusty 92 S-15 Sonoma 4.3 LV6 5 speed. It's a great little truck. Some day I'll fix it, or part it out. I've also got an Astro van, and a GMC Safari van(the wife's) both with 4.3's in them, and they're great at moving people or stuff.
My son has a 97 Isuzu extended cab pickup (built out of S-10 parts from the factory, as it was built in the same GM plant as my S-10). Shocked He loves it, and him and his wife are always wanting to use it.
A buddy of mine has a 95 S-10 Blazer (4wd), that has 285K on (4.3 Vortec), and his wife daily drives it about 75 miles per day. Great little vehicle, other than it having a bunch of 1 year only stuff on it Just got a trans put in it last month, as it lost it's drive (would still back up).
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a small truck. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping an eye out for an Astro or Safari. Interesting what you said about the trannies. I had not heard that, but then again I know little about them other than the praise for the 4.3.

Any thing else to look out for in a Safari/Astro?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Very informative.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Very informative.

Agreed.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to introduce my 'new' 2000 GMC Sonoma, extended cab with third door.
Bought from the second owner, it has only 50,000 miles on it.
It's not the 4.3, but for the price, I could not pass it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have been keeping an eye out for an Astro or Safari. Interesting what you said about the trannies. I had not heard that, but then again I know little about them other than the praise for the 4.3.

Aside from the fuel pump issue I mentioned earlier, the only other thing to watch that I recall is that the spark plugs are supposed to be good for 100K miles--mine lasted almost exactly 100K miles--change them a little sooner. Smile We had that van 17 years and it held up pretty well all things considered--except the damn fuel pump! Also, supposedly the rear differential oil should be changed often, but I never had any issues. Good luck with your quest. Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

The tranny issue is related to the 4L60E trans. It's basically a 700R4, but with a bunch of electronics added to it.

As for the Astro/Safari, the sliding door lower roller, and power window motors are what normally cause problems with them. Well, that and the fuel pump deal that most GM's have of that era. On ours, it wasn't the pump, but rather that short piece of hose that connects the pump to the sending unit. After about 10 or 15 years, the hose will split and cause a "no fuel pressure" problem (it just dumps fuel back into the tank). Rolling Eyes I've had that issue on 3 different vans of that era.

I do however prefer the earlier ones (up to 94), as you can do engine work on them without having to drop the subframe like the later vans. What I mean by that, is the front core support unbolts on the 94 and earlier ones. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, looks like a good buy. At 50K miles, you'll get a good amount of life out of it. Just treat it well and it'll return the favor.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a 91 2wd 2.8l 5spd. We could not kill it! got 31mpg and all we did beyond regular maintenance over 191K was 1 clutch. Ran great well past us getting rid of it for windshield lip rust about 5 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

The tranny issue is related to the 4L60E trans. It's basically a 700R4, but with a bunch of electronics added to it.

As for the Astro/Safari, the sliding door lower roller, and power window motors are what normally cause problems with them. Well, that and the fuel pump deal that most GM's have of that era. On ours, it wasn't the pump, but rather that short piece of hose that connects the pump to the sending unit. After about 10 or 15 years, the hose will split and cause a "no fuel pressure" problem (it just dumps fuel back into the tank). Rolling Eyes I've had that issue on 3 different vans of that era.

I do however prefer the earlier ones (up to 94), as you can do engine work on them without having to drop the subframe like the later vans. What I mean by that, is the front core support unbolts on the 94 and earlier ones. Wink

Thanks to you and Jon Schmid for all of the info.

My boss has been driving full size Chevy vans for the last decade or so. (he is wheelchair bound, and uses hand controls) His first one lost a fuel pump @ 85K as I recall, but several mechanics told him to never let the tank get below 1/3 to 1/2 full as the pump is cooled by the fuel and it fails after it gets hot. He has not had a problem since while following this advice.

Wondering if a hole can be cut in the floor for fuel pump access rather than dropping the tank?

Still looking around for an astro/safari. Most of the pre-2000 ones I see have huge miles on them. I will likely get one of the later models with low miles and a slightly higher price tag, as I intend to keep it for a long time.

Thanks for all the tips folks.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

several mechanics told him to never let the tank get below 1/3 to 1/2 full as the pump is cooled by the fuel and it fails after it gets hot. He has not had a problem since while following this advice.

I had heard this too but my OEM pump lasted some 12+ years of some occasional near empty tank driving, then I was getting the replacements free (not always the labor) because they wouldn't even last the warranty period--running at least 1/4 (about 6 gallons) full at all times. I also learned a trick you guys probably already know, but if the fuel pump goes, sometimes you can "awaken" it by hitting the bottom of the tank with a rubber or leather mallet--I've even used a claw hammer in a pinch. Can save a tow but it's a short term fix that doesn't always work... Wink
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

several mechanics told him to never let the tank get below 1/3 to 1/2 full as the pump is cooled by the fuel and it fails after it gets hot. He has not had a problem since while following this advice.

I had heard this too but my OEM pump lasted some 12+ years of some occasional near empty tank driving, then I was getting the replacements free (not always the labor) because they wouldn't even last the warranty period--running at least 1/4 (about 6 gallons) full at all times. I also learned a trick you guys probably already know, but if the fuel pump goes, sometimes you can "awaken" it by hitting the bottom of the tank with a rubber or leather mallet--I've even used a claw hammer in a pinch. Can save a tow but it's a short term fix that doesn't always work... Wink

Yeah, on vehicles with electric in the tank pumps, I try to keep them above 1/4 tank. That "extra" fuel does indeed keep the pump cool. I learned that over 20 years ago, on other GM in the tank vehicles. Rolling Eyes

It's really only 2 bolts, and some clamps to drop the tank, but my experience is that the pump quits when the tank is almost full (never fails when it's empty). Shocked
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:
I have recently become infatuated with Chevy S10 pickups. My Dad bought one new in 1982, and drove it until '89 when finances dictated it be sold.

Anyone have any real world experience with these? I see them all over the road still, both first and second generation versions. Looking for reliability issues, specific things to look for, etc. I know, as with VWs, any older car will have issues, just looking for thoughts from those who have S10 experience.

If I were to get one, it would be a daily driver (retiring my bus for recreational use).

Have a story or pics to share? Please do. Thanks

I had an 88 S-10 extended cab for 2 years, then sold it. Now, my DD is a 97 S-10 4.3L V6 with 150K on it, and it's drug a type 3 Notchback from Idaho to Michigan, along with a T-34 KG from Iowa to Michigan. Can't complain about that truck 1 bit, and I use it as my long distance cruiser (when I'm not driving my Notchback). The only major thing I've done, was have the trans rebuilt (they're known to go at 140K, and this 1 went right at that.
I've also got a rusty 92 S-15 Sonoma 4.3 LV6 5 speed. It's a great little truck. Some day I'll fix it, or part it out. I've also got an Astro van, and a GMC Safari van(the wife's) both with 4.3's in them, and they're great at moving people or stuff.
My son has a 97 Isuzu extended cab pickup (built out of S-10 parts from the factory, as it was built in the same GM plant as my S-10). Shocked He loves it, and him and his wife are always wanting to use it.
A buddy of mine has a 95 S-10 Blazer (4wd), that has 285K on (4.3 Vortec), and his wife daily drives it about 75 miles per day. Great little vehicle, other than it having a bunch of 1 year only stuff on it Just got a trans put in it last month, as it lost it's drive (would still back up).
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a small truck. Very Happy

Bob

That drive to Russ's was quite an experience. I can vouch that Bob's S10 is fast at least.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Yep... keep the pump covered helps.. ^

Another tid bit of advice... If you find the pump has stalled.. before you bang on the tank... remove the pump relay and jumper the 87 - 30 terminals. That way the pump is "LIVE" when you are banging on the tank bottom.
Works just about every time... and can save a tow bill and get you home.

The problem with the 4.3 - 5.0 - 5.7 Vortec systems.. is most use a poppet injector.. which means the supply pressure MUST be over each individual injector spring tension pressure.. Plus the pressures are fairly high specs. 60-66 static, and 56-60 dynamic.
I've have my share of these poppet system be 1 psi..yes ONE (54-55) lower than the poppet spec and it simply would not "pop" them off.
It may can be forced to start with some carb cleaner and will continue and run, but simply wont start on its own pressure.

Good quality fuel.. and change your fuel filters bi-annually helps a ton..
A little Marvel Mystery oil (or ATF) in the tank too... helps counteract the drying tendencies of fuel these days and keeps things lubed.

As for the dreaded 700- 4L60 - E.. yes it has its inherent issues... but changing the fluid often sure helps that..
Keep the fluid clean enough to deep fry in.. Wink
I always recommend adding a drain plug to the trans pan or using the later pan with the plug.. Change the fluid and filter (or fluid exchange) early around 20-30k and from that point on drain and fill (3-3.5 quarts) at every oil change. It makes a world of difference... oh .. and DEXRON VI... its good stuff.

^ Most of that advice goes for all auto trans..
(be sure to use the right fluid for your a particular transmission)

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice. Thanks.

This is the best website ever.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

This is the best website ever.

Indeed.
My Photography Page.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevrolet S10 Trucks Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I've have my share of these poppet system be 1 psi..yes ONE (54-55) lower than the poppet spec and it simply would not "pop" them off.
It may can be forced to start with some carb cleaner and will continue and run, but simply wont start on its own pressure

^^^yep. if I was being lazy and didn't want to hook up a fuel pressure gauge, I would take the battery charger to it and put it on start Shocked

nothing tells a fuel pump to "WAKE THE *UCK UP* like an extra 250 amps.

very sensitive system. back when we were doing the nut kits 3 times a week we use to tell the customer at least they didn't suffer the spider bite (when the spider bites the dust, then bites your wallet)

that's all I got for GM humor today...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: