Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help with Cam choice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: I need help with Cam choice Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my engine and I need to choose a cam, for my 71 Super Beetle. This is a daily driver, at least 200-350 miles a week. Here is what I have.

DRD L6 42x37.5
1:4 rockers
DRD R294 .550 lift cam
1 5/8 A-1 Sidewinder
Dual IDF 44's (135 mains,55 idle,190 airs, F11 tubes and 36 vents)
13lb flywheel
Stage 1 clutch kush lock disc

I drive it spiritedly but still only hit a top of around 5500 on a shift. I do a lot of highway droving and do it at 70-75mph.

I am looking at a K-8 cam, I do like the cam that I have now it pulls like a locomotive but, looking for a change and maybe something a little more streetable.

I did put about 60K miles on the last build. I want to get that again if possible.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FK8 is an awesome cam and nice choice. Very driveable. This was my first cam in my 22. The alternative is an 86B. DRD lists this cam useable with 1.25s not 1.4s.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

86B is better than the FK8, makes more power and is quieter too.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

X2, but for a DD car I like to keep lift no higher than .500 and I would lean toward the 86a with some duration added. This combo is very durable but the 86b is better for power. What is most important is up to you.

Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run an 86B with 1.3s or 1.25s.

I personally do not care for the 86A.

Dan Ruddock wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

X2, but for a DD car I like to keep lift no higher than .500 and I would lean toward the 86a with some duration added. This combo is very durable but the 86b is better for power. What is most important is up to you.

Dan

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Run an 86B with 1.3s or 1.25s.

I personally do not care for the 86A.

Dan Ruddock wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Dan

Could you elaborate?

Thanks John

Dan
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you consider your current cam not very streetable?
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam I have is very streetable, and it makes great power. It makes very usable power throughout the power band. It doesn't work well with trying to dial your motor in for decent gas mileage and it doesn't seem to like 3800rpm 75mph for an hour or more. I would go with this cam again but, I am rebuilding the motor why not change it up if I can.

Also when you speak of it being a noisy cam what are you referring to?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowen71 wrote:
The cam I have is very streetable, and it makes great power. It makes very usable power throughout the power band. It doesn't work well with trying to dial your motor in for decent gas mileage and it doesn't seem to like 3800rpm 75mph for an hour or more. I would go with this cam again but, I am rebuilding the motor why not change it up if I can.

Also when you speak of it being a noisy cam what are you referring to?

The cam used has a big effect on valve clatter. It is all in the design of the clearance ramps. Webcam has very good rep on this.

Dan
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well cam is shot, just came back from the builders. The cam and lifters are pitted real bad.

So I will be replacing it, hopefully I can get a like cam. If not maybe I will just go with the K-8

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wear is another reason I like the 86a or the GB309/engle V26 as both have a blunt nose which is good for wear (reduces the psi on the contact sufaces).

Both the K8 and the 86b both have a sharp nose like the cam in your pic. You can get the 86a in 252-264 duration. The GB309 is only avalible in 253 duration.

Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly does make sense that a larger nose radius would be a good thing but from what I've seen it's not a problem, and the "sharp nose" cams do seem to also be some of the good ones.

You can't go wrong with web camshafts, possibly the 86b, CB lightweight lifters, vr-1 oil. This is the good stuff.

BTW look at how the contact is all the way to the edge of the lifter. What's that about?? there's your problem, or a big clue. Either the lifter is dished or that DRD cam has a faster lift rate than should be used with your rockers.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you might say well the cam lasted 60k and that is ok with me. I say no because you don't want all that cam and lifter meterial in your oil.

Dan
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of concerns. As I mentioned earlier using larger then specified rocker ratios on cams for lower can cause problems. What kind of lifters are those? I also notice the SC1 cam blank. Thats a hard blank. After 60k miles, I hope your new builder is checking the valve guides as well. Have him check your lifter bores also. I miss the snappyness of my old build with the FK8. I would most certainly order CB lightwieghts. 60k is a nice run of miles.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both came from the same place, all SC1 but pushed by DRD
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think darren uses steve long lifters. Well..they are supposed to mesh with each other. Did u use a zddp oil or additive initially with them?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its an oil problem, its not got excessive wear its pitted. I think it was a bad batch.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could been other things that killed that cam,dont wory about that,just make sure the springs areset to handle the FINAL lift you have, as in realtyme not on paper or pocket internet figures. I do like the rounded nose cams...mostly the ones with rollers contacting them. Shocked I wish more cams were of the "blunt" type.(nice of the discription of the cam had the pictire of the actual lobe profile) I got a web cam that had such a sharp lobe I was skeered it was gonna cut me Wink good thing they dfl coated that cam.(I realy did not want to use it,but the owner was convinced, by the buss gods.....of the samba. and there always right!!!)
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the engine is being redone by Paradise Motorsports, I don't think Jason will do things wrong. I was surprised at the amount of things messed up on the inside, its not what I expected.

Pretty sad.

As for the cam it was stamped on it what the actual grind was, so I think Jason is going to try and match it. The only thing DRD would tell me is that its his grind and its he #2 cam which he said was a 294. That is not what is stamped on the cam so..... its up to Jason to try and match it the best he can.
bowen71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Did u use a zddp oil or additive initially with them?

What kind of oil would you suggest? Or what kind of additive would you use? If it was a lack of ZDDP then I want to add it to the oil on the next engine so it doesn't happen again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: