Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dies after warm while in third gear... for a while.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Dies after warm while in third gear... for a while. Reply with quote

On my commute, as my car gets up to temp and I notice in third I can hear a little flutter of missing... I put in the clutch and the car dies. I pop the clutch and it is better... for a bit. Eventually it stops happening before I make it to work.

My commute is not highway driving so it's annoying in stop and go traffic.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: suggestions Reply with quote

Hey rrankin

i'll take a few guesses,

flutter missing and dies, that sounds like a fuel related issue.

usually in my experence with electrical, it just flat out dies.

how about still at idel?

could be carb icing or somthing like that but this is a strange one.

usual culprits (depending on your equipment) carb idle solonoid, fuel filter, pump, bad fuel, crap in carb (you know all that fun stuff).

Well, hope any of that gives you an idea to fix.

let us know what ya find.

good luck and be safe going home
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the point in time you are having problems check the temperature of the intake manifold right below the carb and also check to see if the vane in the intake is causing warm air to be drawn into the air cleaner. Also check to see how far open your choke butterfly is, it should be fully open about 5 minutes after a cold start.

People way too often don't fix or may even start throwing away parts and pieces that allowed the engine to run smoothly during warm up in a mistaken belief that these pieces were nothing more than government required air pollution stuff. If kept in as new stock condition these engines will run quite well during start up, while if you start pulling off and tossing hoses and ducts and the stock air cleaner they will tend to falter badly.
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb icing... years back I had some issues with carb icing. I don't have the heat riser on my car. Previous owner threw it away 20+ years ago and I've always meant to reinstall it for weird times like this...

I have the heat risers attached, but I'm not sure it's not clogged 100% ... 4 or 5 years ago I worked hard to clear it when I was having carb icing on a regular basis, but that usually only happened on really wet and cold days.

The flutter was significantly worse... car lost 80% of the power and I was forced to stop.

This isn't that bad... and the temps here are +45F right now - sunny drive in this am not a cloud in the sky. It's warm enough now, I really want to drop the top for my drive home (64F).

The car idles just fine. I'm wondering if there is a vacuum issue - I'm using a DVDA Distributor ... or maybe it's a choke or carb jet issue.

Grrr... hate stuff like this because I can't always just pull over and see what's going on in the engine bay... Especially in traffic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrankin wrote:
Carb icing... years back I had some issues with carb icing. I don't have the heat riser on my car. Previous owner threw it away 20+ years ago and I've always meant to reinstall it for weird times like this...

I have the heat risers attached, but I'm not sure it's not clogged 100% ... 4 or 5 years ago I worked hard to clear it when I was having carb icing on a regular basis, but that usually only happened on really wet and cold days.

The flutter was significantly worse... car lost 80% of the power and I was forced to stop.

This isn't that bad... and the temps here are +45F right now - sunny drive in this am not a cloud in the sky. It's warm enough now, I really want to drop the top for my drive home (64F).

The car idles just fine. I'm wondering if there is a vacuum issue - I'm using a DVDA Distributor ... or maybe it's a choke or carb jet issue.

Grrr... hate stuff like this because I can't always just pull over and see what's going on in the engine bay... Especially in traffic

I'd think a vaccume hose wouldn't make it bog and die in 3rd gear, my exp with vaccume lines was usually on the truck and the Mustang, loose vac lines make it idle too fast and just runs rough, usually faster not slower.

I've never experienced the Icing but if you were to stop, and it sit's, the engines heat probably warms up the manafold and it runs fine till it's frozen agian....
Ok I'm guessing here too.

anybody else??
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It warmed up her back into the 60 and lower 70s. It still happens but not as frequently.

Fuel filter looks to be about 65% clean, but I'm planning to replace it anyway. I'm wondering if it's just a dirty carb. or the float not working correctly.

I've been needing to pull the carb and dip it over night and rebuild it. I don't have the chemicals and don't want to buy buckets and have them sit unused for much of the time.... so I might go to a shop and ask them if I can use theirs.

-R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: