Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing my 1971 Riviera
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kick Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
The dash top came out today while I was getting my powdercoated parking brake lever assy ready to go in.. the rust I found was about what I was expecting but the powdered corrosion under every fastener was not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can you please tell me what the can shaped item is.

I have this and don't know what it is, but looks like it's a replacement and relocated for that.

Just want to add I've really enjoyed your thread.
My 72 Kombi: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922816#7922816
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Kick Kombi wrote:
I have this and don't know what it is, but looks like it's a replacement and relocated for that.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1455276.jpg[/]

Thanks man. In my pic is the wiper assy, you're looking at the wiper motor. It looks like you have some sort of motor or solenoid in your pic, I'm not really sure what it is but must be a heavy current draw for someone to have wired up a relay for it!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kick Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Kick Kombi wrote:
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1455276.jpg[/]

Thanks man. In my pic is the wiper assy, you're looking at the wiper motor. It looks like you have some sort of motor or solenoid in your pic, I'm not really sure what it is but must be a heavy current draw for someone to have wired up a relay for it!

Thanks for the info mate.
My 72 Kombi: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922816#7922816
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Wiper assembly Reply with quote

A couple years ago when I had my rusty '72 bus, I pulled the wiper assy out to tear it down for a good clean, lube, and adjust. Colin (Amskeptic) has a fairly well documented description here: Wiper Refresh
Unfortunately at the time I had never been in a working bus, so I assembled the linkage 90° out. I drove to work today with my wipers parked straight up Laughing

You can immediately see in the photo that the top wiper assy linkage is all horizontal.. the bottom wipers are not... that is a problem.

I'm getting the wiper frame powdercoated for longevity... when I first started working on VWs a few years ago I had no idea about paints or rust prep, so the rattle can black I shot my 'rebuilt' wiper frame with is starting to show rust again.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

There is a real downside to a 'rolling resto;' most of the stuff I'm working on are misc bits and pieces. Powdecoat this, refurb and paint that, change the rubber seal here, replace corroded hardware there... Was talking to one of my co-workers about how much stuff I've had powdercoated, and he laughed and says "Yeah and you can't even tell at all!" Laughing

So I've still got a lot of repairs to do... gradually building up my parts stash one NOS or good used part at a time. Everyone says aftermarket parts aren't worth the effort it takes to make fit - that is some real truth.

The Bus Depot muffler coating was too hard for my blaster to remove so I had the powdercoat shop blast it for me. They just finished it so I painted it with VHT engine paint (primer gray) and baked it with a heat gun... it finished beautifully, until I installed and ran it.

First, BD sent me the wrong tailpipe, and some bug muffler clamps. I returned the hardware and they sent the bus-style one-piece clamps, and also refunded me retail price for a tail pipe when I sent it back too. So I cruised the classifieds, found a NOS VW tail pipe and it took over a month to get it. At this point I sandblasted the resonator and tailpipe, then brazed them together. At the same time I blasted around the muffler in/out connections and made some sinfully ugly brazed tacks all around them to secure the pinch weld better.
Not only that but I pulled the muffler pre-heat chambers off of an OG bug muffler to blast and paint inside and out with VHT... figured I'd eliminate the mis-alignment issue several people have had when they fit the breast tin in place.

Here's what I have at this point:

So I tackled the replacement, figuring I'd have plenty of time in my allotted 3-4 hours.. nope.

this is what I started with:

I fought with the heat riser pipes for about thirty minutes, they just would NOT line up with the tapped holes on the muffer flanges.. the muffler holes are not drilled in the right place, they are 1/8" off on both left and right.
Then my aftermarket heat exchangers took f-o-r-e-v-e-rrrrr to line up, the right side was way off by about 3/4"-1"...
now the best part is those preheaters don't line up right with the heat exchangers and breast tin..

By the time i finished, it was dark and had started raining, and I was in a rotten mood... aftermarket parts.

Once I straighten out the preheaters and get my heat riser bolt holes clearanced I'll post a few photos.

yes... i have an oil leak.... i know...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

It's amazing that Bus Depot hasn't addressed sending the wrong tail pipe out. I know Ron reads these threads. It's only been discussed for what? The past year and a half? They did the same thing to me as well.

I found the muffler to bolt up fine. I had restored my original German heater boxes. The BIG flaw of this muffler is the fresh air junction on the muffler. As you've found out, it doesn't line up at all. I had to use two different clamps to fill the gap.

Like you said, after market parts suck.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Hey Robert, sorry I'm late to the party…

It looks like you're missing the "road draft boot" and allowing debris into the oil through the tube. Wolfsburg West sells the best reproduction. I also don't see rear cylinder tins, the ones that mount to the main cylinder tins and shuttle air downwards instead of allowing it out the back of the cylinder fins. Do you have them?

The one-piece clamps are fundamentally flawed in how they clamp, but if you can get them to work, great. I had the opposite problem last year; I ordered bus clamps, Airhead Parts sent me the one-piece clamps, and they failed on installation, ruining my NOS asbestos donut gaskets. The two-piece clamps came on the bus from the factory, even though they're a pain with the mustache bar. Listen for a tick at idle over the next hundred miles or so; that's when the clamps usually give up if you're not fastidious about retorquing at EVERY DAMN HEAT CYCLE. Airhead Parts understands now, (I think,) that the one-piece clamps clamp in the wrong direction,(radially instead of axially,) and are prone to leaking. They sent my two-piece clamps out no charge when I emailed after I found out how the one-piece clamps worked.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, even though it's not helpful to you at all: NOS Liestritz mufflers are out there, for the same or less money than the Bus Depot offerings. I installed one today; it literally slips in like butter. The fresh air pods line up with the stock clamps to the heat exchangers, the exhaust manifolds slide right one, the heat riser ports line up nearly perfectly, (but who has a perfect one here?,) and the heat riser j-tubes slip effortlessly into the muffler just the right amount. I bought a few to stash last year, and now I pretty much won't install anything else; life is too short to deal with stuff that leaks poison gas when it doesn't fit.

I'll calm down about T1 stock exhausts one day, but today is not that day.

Tomorrow doesn't look good either…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
It's amazing that Bus Depot hasn't addressed sending the wrong tail pipe out. I know Ron reads these threads...
...Like you said, after market parts suck.

When I emailed BD about the hardware and tail pipe, their response was "it's drop shipped from the supplier like that." Judging by some of the comments Ron's made on past threads, I feel like they're either hesitant to bring it up to the supplier for fear of the exhaust being discontinued, or they mentioned it and the supplier doesn't care/hasn't fixed it yet. To be fair, BD was quick to bring a solution to the table after I asked them to fix it.

asiab3 wrote:
... the "road draft boot"... rear cylinder tins...Do you have them?
The one-piece clamps are fundamentally flawed in how they clamp...they failed on installation, ruining my NOS asbestos donut gaskets.
...I've said it once and I'll say it again, even though it's not helpful to you at all: NOS Liestritz mufflers are out there, for the same or less money than the Bus Depot offerings......I'll calm down about T1 stock exhausts one day, but today is not that day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either…
Robbie

Yep and yep, thanks for mentioning the breather boot, I didn't notice it had fallen off. I stuck it on with Hylomar Aeograde, but last time I was working on my leak, I removed it to check the tube.. apparently the hylomar didn't stick when I reinstalled it Laughing
Sucks to hear about your NOS gaskets. My crappy mesh gaskets almost got ruined the same way before I tossed the one-piece in the trash.

I do disagree with you on their clamping design being flawed... I think its poorly engineered for our application, but I use vee-band clamps all the time in aviation... they hold stuff like turbine bleed air ducting together under significantly higher duct temps and pressures than our wimpy exhausts will ever even dream of. Now that I think about it... I might order a set. Nice.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

The Wolfsburg West road draft boot has an indexing bulb that locks it into the breather pipe; no sealant needed! I don't know any other manufacturers that have the correct boot.

I'm on my phone and can't type too much, but there was a good discussion about the donut clamps going here:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12720&hilit=donut+clamps

I think it comes down to the cheap modern one-piece clamps not having enough "clearance" to properly compress the assembly. Force on B is more important, and force on A needs to be a function of force on B.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: pulled case saver Reply with quote

Well everything was going smoothly right up until I put a torque wrench on my 1/2 head nuts...

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Ouch, that sucks man. I feel your pain on that one. I had 3 strip out of my og case recently. Mine is pre case savers so i was able to use oversized studs for a temporary fix until i can build a new engine. I dont know what size case savers those are but you may be able to install one with a larger diameter. What a PITA though.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

They're 8mm studs so I've got some wiggle room.. Just got to get my parts and tools together to do it. Never had to do a time-sert!

I'm debating on the tools: John at Aircooled.net rents the tool set for $25 plus shipping plus the actual insert, but I can buy the time sert kit on Amazon for around $65. I hope I don't ever need a 12mm time-sert again but I'm trying to decide if I should just rent the stuff from him or buy it outright.

Prolly not even $20 difference in price renting vs. buying Think
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Id probably buy the tool if its good quality in case (pun intended) it happens again.

If another,one comes out it could mean your engine has overheated and the metal has become weaker.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Really sucks. Hope it will take a sert.

I can buy the time sert kit on Amazon for around $65
Have link?

Thanks
Tcash
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I can buy the time sert kit on Amazon for around $65
Have link?
Thanks
Tcash

Nope, I was wrong, the Amazon kits are more like $90. Found the $65 kit on ebay and ordered some BMW head stud 24.5mm time-serts.. the time-sert site says not to use 20mm bushings for head studs.

think i found one of my oil leaks. has anyone else seen a generator stand look like this?

This was supposed to be a one-day event.. now that I'm forced to wait for parts, I'm going to fix a few more things while the engine's out.

numero uno... FATMAT. Going up in the gas tank cubby, on the tank itself, and on the fwd side of the bulkhead.

number B... battery tray. GOT to get that done. Prolly won't have time to get the corner welded in but the tray needs to be done.. i can't even admit this out loud but my battery is wedged in with a piece of plywood and a new battery tray panel sitting on top of the old mess. Embarassed
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Fatmat Reply with quote

John at Aircooled.net is a super guy, he really saved my bacon on this pulled stud! It started out looking like this engine case was going to need a Big-Sert. John worked with me via email to get the dims and pics of the hole and he ended up recommending his 12mm OD case saver set.
He was more interested in getting me the best solution for my problem instead of the most profitable-for-him option. That sort of attitude and integrity go a long way with me - it's why i have bought so many parts from him in the past and will continue to do so. He made some really insightful comments and opinions on my engine build that ended up saving me a lot of money and time in the long run.

None of the sound dampener companies have any literature available for best installation practices.. I'm starting to wonder if they really have any engineering behind their products. most of their galleries are full of people laying sheet after sheet of their stuff, covering up entire panels.
I'm fairly certain that's not necessarily the best or right way to do it.

For the gas tank/firewall/tank cavity, I went with multiple strips of Fatmat vs. rolling out an entire sheet. I'm thinking about doing B-quiet Hliner for the engine bay ceiling, finished off with the werksberg panels, some fiberboard panels, or the '72-only metal panels. just really sick of the drone!

Windshield wiper arm writeup is also in the mix right now.. here's a sneak peek:

Link

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

So this happened yesterday...

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Engine is back in the bus! The exhaust took a lot of my time up, but it's on there and all hooked up. Was able to finally put on my rebuilt alternator and throw on a couple stickers for funsies. The reason I pulled the engine was for a terrible set of pushrod tube leaks from my "well I have them on hand so I'll just use 'em" spring loaded tubes. I mean ALL of them leaked in the worst way and was causing my oil level to constantly drop, it was bad!
John sold me a set of stock style tubes and the silicone seals they say won't leak... So those all went on, and I reset one of the rocker shims to get better valve tip location on one side while I was in there.

I've been considering experimentally running a Beetle FI engine in the bus, and one came up locally for a great deal.. The owner gave me all the FI parts he'd already pulled, free, since "nobody wants fuel injection stuff."

Came back a week later and made an offer on the rest of the (seized-??) engine and got it for core price - complete, and U-Pull-It style. Fuel hoses looked original, heater boots were still crimped on with a factory-style band, and looks like 100% of the parts are all there. The owner was yanking the FI parts off to convert to carb.

He said the PO had told him "the engine's locked up," but while he was removing FI parts, he was able to turn the engine over with a wrench on the pulley bolt. While I was going though the box of misc parts later at home, I noticed the original DVDA distributor shaft was completely rusted solid to the body. Looks like the distributor was keeping the engine from rotating, since the engine spins over like it should so I may have actually gotten more than I was expecting.. it would be great to find good end play and decent compression.

i don't play, i jacked up the front end and pulled the fuel pump while I was there too! No carbed engine would need 37 PSI!

i've got an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote and a cardboard box full of 'current projects and parts' going...

I finally googled how to repair particle board - my fold out table leg was ripped from the table when I got it, and the mounting bracket was bent in a dogleg. After some sanding and finger painting with Rage Gold, the missing chunks were no more. I won't even try to lie, I did a horrible ugly job repairing this table. The entire underside could use a thorough 160g sanding job and skim coat of Rage to fill in all the low spots. The particle board has held up pretty well for a 45-year-old table but it does need some love...

To celebrate my newly repaired and functional table, I got the only thing any good Memphian knows to get from Tops BBQ: a fat, greasy double cheeseburger and fries. If you ever pass through Memphis, do yourself a favor and grab one of 'em on the way through!! I pulled in to my oil stained parking spot at work and nommed my burger under the bright yellow light of my three bulb Rivi light.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

Getting some work done on the old vdub today!

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

I think you have to remove that red cap to the left of the fan belt to pour the Prestone in. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: