Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass hardtop -- buyers guide and installation
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Fiberglass hardtop -- buyers guide and installation Reply with quote

I am leaning towards locating and installing a fiberglass hardtop on my car, the primary reasons being that my car will not fit in the garage with The Wife's 'urban assault vehicle,' and I will need to keep my car outside on the driveway. Well, that and I need to replace the roof and well as all side windows on the car . . .

So, the questions I have are . . .

It is my understanding that there are two options for a fiberglass hardtop, one made by VW, and the other by FiberJet. From what I have determined from research that I have done, the VW hardtop is the preferred option.

How does one determine if a hard top is a VW or a FiberJet?

What should one look for when looking at a hardtop? For example, the pins that go into the windshield frame, the front clamps that clip to the windshield frame? The metal bits that will mate up with the windows? Cracks in the roof, the condition of the rubber for the windows, cracks in the glass of the windows?

For mounting, from what I have determined, there are two metal posts that bolt onto the chassis between the doors, one end attached to the fiberglass roof, and the other end to the frame. What about the fasteners in the rear? I have not been able to find any interior pictures pertaining to securing the rear portion of the hard top.

Do I need to remove the 'soft top' to include the frame before installing the hardtop?

Curious minds would like to know . . .
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both the fiberjet and the stock hard top. The VWOA top is the preferred top.

The fiberjet doesn't actually fit right as delivered. The pivot pin for the soft top intersects the side of the fiberjet top, causing it to bow outwards. If you are leaving the top on all the time, you can remove the pivot bolt. Otherwise, you'll be trimming the edge of the fiberjet top to create a recess for the top to fit in. IIRC, the fiberjet didn't need the center posts. The shape of the side windows are different on the fiberjet than the VWOA top.

Both tops are held on at the rear by some vaguely L shaped brackets, which fit over the lip of the top and are held on by bolts. These brackets are attached inside the car. You will need to remove the soft top to put on the hard top.

Look for cracks at the edges of the part that projects over the passenger compartment, as well as splits at the front mounts where they connect to the windscreen. You'll want to examine the rubber around the windows. Make sure you get all the brackets and bolts.

An alternative to this would be for you to obtain a portable garage, like the ones made by shelter logic. I had one of their round top models, and it held up very well to 24" of snow. I had mine installed on gravel, not a paved driveway. If you buy one that fully encloses the vehicle, make sure you get the venting kit. Otherwise, you'll find your car covered in condensed water every time you open the garage up.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both tops and agree the VW model is superior. The one, and only downside that I can think of is the VW will sag due to age and the elements in the middle compared to the Fiberjet. The glass on the Fiberjet is laid a little thicker all around and does not require the center posts (in fact there is no provision for them). Also noteworthy and is mentioned above, the front latches on the Fiberjet do not use the stock VW latches. My Fiberjet did not have the brackets in the rear. The rear is held down by rubber Jeep hood type latches inside.

That being said, I just finished up restoring the Fiberjet as it was in better shape than my VW top. I relocated the front latch points on the inside of the top to use a set of TTS latches and I tossed the Fiberjet junk.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the aforementioned saggy VW top:

but be honest, don't we all start to sag a bit in our 40s. Laughing
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass hardtop -- buyers guide and installation Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:

Its pretty easy to tell the difference from the pics I posted. A VW top will have the ribs and flush mounted windows, where the Fiberjet has a textured roof and aluminum trimmed windows that the frames stick out a quarter inch or so on the inside and outside. The Fiberjet should also have a tag below the rear window that says "Fiberjet" that you can see in this this picture of my top when I got it:

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass hardtop -- buyers guide and installation Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
I am leaning towards locating and installing a fiberglass hardtop on my car, the primary reasons being that my car will not fit in the garage with The Wife's 'urban assault vehicle,' and I will need to keep my car outside on the driveway. Well, that and I need to replace the roof and well as all side windows on the car . . .

So, the questions I have are . . .

It is my understanding that there are two options for a fiberglass hardtop, one made by VW, and the other by FiberJet. From what I have determined from research that I have done, the VW hardtop is the preferred option.

What should one look for when looking at a hardtop? For example, the pins that go into the windshield frame, the front clamps that clip to the windshield frame? The metal bits that will mate up with the windows? Cracks in the roof, the condition of the rubber for the windows, cracks in the glass of the windows?

For mounting, from what I have determined, there are two metal posts that bolt onto the chassis between the doors, one end attached to the fiberglass roof, and the other end to the frame. What about the fasteners in the rear? I have not been able to find any interior pictures pertaining to securing the rear portion of the hard top.

Do I need to remove the 'soft top' to include the frame before installing the hardtop?

I have the fiberjet top. At the rear there are rubber type tie downs. The convertible posts go through the top. You need to remove the soft top frame and assembly.

At the windshield I used TTS soft top latches and adapted them to the Fiberjet top. Makes removal easy since my soft top assembly is from TTS.
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
I relocated the front latch points on the inside of the top to use a set of TTS latches and I tossed the Fiberjet junk.

Can you please post a pic of how you did this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pbotsonis wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:
I relocated the front latch points on the inside of the top to use a set of TTS latches and I tossed the Fiberjet junk.

Can you please post a pic of how you did this?

It might be a little while before I can take a picture of it now as the cage is in the way when the top is mounted (and I plan top keep the top on until the spring).

Let me see if I can explain how I did it. Here is the latch and hook from TTS:

The Fiberjet mechanism was about an inch inboard from the factory VW mounting locations.

Using Sam_W's pics you can see where the hook goes on the windshield frame.

Just move the TTS latch over (outboard) about an inch or so and drill and attach it with new screws to the Fiberjet top. On my top the latch was mounted right at the edge of the runner molded into it. I probably should have added a little fiberglass there and the abandoned holes from the old latch, but it seems to be holding up fine. Cool
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same thing I did. It works much better than the brackets that came with the top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: