Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a day with my new harness, no real difference except my dash lights all work.
My initial issue with the turn signals was a loose connector in the factory plug. it took a few minutes to diagnose, but nothing more than a small pull with a paper clip brought it into position and all is well.
A nice upgrade which was well executed.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

There is a second post on the GoWesty instrument kit going, this is simply linking the two .....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8103460#8103460

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know there is another solution to this that's roughly $100 cheaper and it's easier to install. It's a "plug n' play" setup. Zero modifications are needed; kits come fully assembled. You literally swap out the blue foil with the new kit, that's it.

Cluster Master from South Africa has been making kits for a few years now, and I'm now importing them here to the USA on a regular basis, sold through www.vanagon.org.

Here's the product link: http://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit/

Here's the instructions: http://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-foil-repair/
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Gowesty kit have a new dynamic oil pressure warning system or does it just interface to the original dynamic warning system?

I have a 1985 which does not have dynamic oil pressure warning, but if the Gowesty kit has this I would like to use it. I understand that all I would need to do is add a second oil pressure switch and run two new wires from the engine bay - one from the new pressure switch to give a low oil pressure signal and one from the coil to give the engine speed signal.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Partially answering my own question, I found this under Tech Notes on the Gowesty web site: "The main circuit board includes a new GoWesty-designed dual oil pressure monitoring circuit with audible alarm. This replaces the stock (and aging) dual oil pressure monitoring circuit located in the speedometer housing."

But there are two versions of the kit - one for the analogue clock cluster and one for the tachometer cluster which is $30 extra. I ordered the analogue clock version so not sure if this includes the dynamic oil monitoring.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

The analog clock was installed in newer models. My 86 came standard with it.
The digital clock was shipped with the tachometer option.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Partially answering my own question, I found this under Tech Notes on the Gowesty web site: "The main circuit board includes a new GoWesty-designed dual oil pressure monitoring circuit with audible alarm. This replaces the stock (and aging) dual oil pressure monitoring circuit located in the speedometer housing."

But there are two versions of the kit - one for the analogue clock cluster and one for the tachometer cluster which is $30 extra. I ordered the analogue clock version so not sure if this includes the dynamic oil monitoring.

Yes, all of the versions have dynamic oil pressure system as it is built into the main board, there is a little micro switch on the board that you turn off if you have an engine without this system.

However, since you don't have the dual sensor system in your van, you can't use dynamic oil pressure monitoring anyway.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know there is another solution to this that's roughly $100 cheaper and it's easier to install. It's a "plug n' play" setup. Zero modifications are needed; kits come fully assembled. You literally swap out the blue foil with the new kit, that's it.

Cluster Master from South Africa has been making kits for a few years now, and I'm now importing them here to the USA on a regular basis, sold through www.vanagon.org.

Here's the product link: http://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit/

Has anyone tried this kit or have any comments on it? Looks promising.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I am also interested in the same question - so... bump
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
However, since you don't have the dual sensor system in your van, you can't use dynamic oil pressure monitoring anyway.

I have installed an oil pressure send relocation manifold so now have high and low oil pressure switches - just need to install wiring.

oceanair wrote:
Has anyone tried this kit or have any comments on it? Looks promising.

It does look good and it is much cheaper than the Gowesty kit. FWIW, it uses the original dynamic oil pressure circuit in the speedo so can't be used to retrofit this like I am planning to do.
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I put one of Erics wiring kits from www.vanagon.org in my van and was simple and quick. Gave me nice bright lights and I was able to easily add a tach I had picked up out of the clasiffied ads and a small VDO clock which I installed under the warning lights. yes the wiring is that straight forward. Highly recommend this product especially if you are having any issues.

Also recommend T-3's plasma gauges, another great product that really improves night time driving
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I have installed an oil pressure send relocation manifold so now have high and low oil pressure switches - just need to install wiring.

I am trying to find the terminals that go inside the white instrument harness plug in the van that the Gowesty harness plugs into. The terminals crimp onto the wires have two little "fingers" that are the contacts inside the plug but I can't find anywhere that sells them (in Australia) because I don't know what they are called. Can anyone help?
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I no longer need this because I have decided to cut off the original white plug and the plug on the Gowesty harness and solder the wires together. The Gowesty plug does not give a great connection because I had to wiggle the wires to get all the LED's to work properly.

The Go Westy instructions describe doing this as the "optional cluster reliability connection" if your white plug is damaged or corroded - my plug is in good condition but it is still not a reliable connection. You can still remove the instrument cluster by unplugging the harness where it connects to the PC board.

Last edited by Mellow Yellow 74 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Had the Go Westy kit installed a few days ago.The foil on my 82 Westy was falling apart. John at Freds Garage had tried a few repairs to it but with loosing the dash light function and having the battery charging light failing, it became time to permanently fix it.

Once installed I noticed right away the replacement LED's are much brighter, all the lights are now working, and for me it was important to know the charging system was operating properly.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem. When I installed GoWestys Printed Circuit Replacement Kit my Temperature Gauge and Gas Gauge no longer works. What did I do wrong?
Thanks in Advance
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem. When I installed GoWestys Printed Circuit Replacement Kit my Temperature Gauge and Gas Gauge no longer works. What did I do wrong?
Thanks in Advance

Probably something to do with the voltage regulator.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Altoona

Thanks for the tip you were right. I installed and now my Speedometer doesn't work!!!! Does this kit have anything to do with the speedometer? or didn't I get the speedometer cable in right? [which I think its in right]
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
Altoona

Thanks for the tip you were right. I installed and now my Speedometer doesn't work!!!! Does this kit have anything to do with the speedometer? or didn't I get the speedometer cable in right? [which I think its in right]

Nothing to do with the speedo, probably need to seat the cable better.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Thanks I was hoping that was the problem
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Too bad buying direct from SA isn't an option. $80!

CampWesty wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: