Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Living out of a bus... Realistic?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Living out of a bus... Realistic? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie here on the forums and I have been researching Bay Windows for quite sometime now. My reason for actually having the desire to own one is to live out of it. I plan on going on a very long trips, maybe even for over a year at a time. I specifically want to get a camper model (late 1970's) to be able to use it the way it was intended to be used. I currently live in California and I want to take this bus all the way up the coast to Washington and maybe even head east after that.

I guess my question is... Does this sound realistic? Living out of a bus for over a year and being able to park it wherever I want, sleep, and pick up in the morning to some place new? I know that these vehicles take extra care and I am willing to learn and to be able to work on it myself if something goes wrong (which from reading the forums already, this sounds pretty common). I already read the discussions between vanagons and bay window campers and I think I have made my decision with the bay. But remember, I want to be able to be on the road with it pretty much 24/7.

So what do you think? Any thoughts or experiences with this would be extremely helpful.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible? yes. you had better have deep pockets or macgyver type skills.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba! Lots of guys used to do it back in the day, thousands of people have gone on multiple thousand mile journeys, look up Hasta Alaska on youtube. As far as living in it all year, someone posted like 20 min before you about how he's been living in a bay for 4 months. I attached the thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617254&highlight=

It would be hard to do if you have no mechanical experience. That takes time to learn. It would be great to do, but you really need a decent setup going, well prepared, armed to the teeth with information, and plan out all the little things like where to shower and such. If you are up for all of this, then by all means folloow your heart

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
grtfldan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been done many times. I lived out of mine for a summer on Dead tour. Ben (from the stranded on the way to Alaska thread) is living proof, But he has sponsors and folks on here helping out alot.

79 Bay project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy Jeff has been doing it for the past year. He's driven his '72 High Top all along the east coast and is now making his way west. I met him when he rolled through Colorado and stopped in my town. His T4 engine came out of a junkyard and the only problems he's had have been with his carbs. I think he has put something like 30-40K on his bus. It can be done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Living out of a bus... Realistic? Reply with quote

Sweece wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am a newbie here on the forums and I have been researching Bay Windows for quite sometime now. My reason for actually having the desire to own one is to live out of it. I plan on going on a very long trips, maybe even for over a year at a time. I specifically want to get a camper model (late 1970's) to be able to use it the way it was intended to be used. I currently live in California and I want to take this bus all the way up the coast to Washington and maybe even head east after that.

I guess my question is... Does this sound realistic? Living out of a bus for over a year and being able to park it wherever I want, sleep, and pick up in the morning to some place new? I know that these vehicles take extra care and I am willing to learn and to be able to work on it myself if something goes wrong (which from reading the forums already, this sounds pretty common). I already read the discussions between vanagons and bay window campers and I think I have made my decision with the bay. But remember, I want to be able to be on the road with it pretty much 24/7.

So what do you think? Any thoughts or experiences with this would be extremely helpful.

I was one of the smaller members of a family of 5 that lived in a new '68 for months on end. In '68. if the bus is prepped nd solid it should run without fault. If it isn't you are driving a 30 or 40 yr old vehicle that needs lots of work. Be prepared.

Living on the road is it's own art with it's own rhythms. Understand the trip and you can live out of a backpack or bicycle panniers as long as you want. One of the larger challenges for some folk is keeping themselves amused. They get bored easily and can't lose their ennui on the road. So they want to carry a large number of toys to play with. A bus provides toy hauling room. It costs you some of the experience but if the alternative was staying home....

know some folks doing the homeless-person routine in buses. Minimal traveling but they are definitely living in them.
wanderglobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
Welcome to the samba! Lots of guys used to do it back in the day, thousands of people have gone on multiple thousand mile journeys, look up Hasta Alaska on youtube. As far as living in it all year, someone posted like 20 min before you about how he's been living in a bay for 4 months. I attached the thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617254&highlight=

It would be hard to do if you have no mechanical experience. That takes time to learn. It would be great to do, but you really need a decent setup going, well prepared, armed to the teeth with information, and plan out all the little things like where to shower and such. If you are up for all of this, then by all means folloow your heart

Bret

That's pretty funny. Smile The two threads are on top of each other. I'm the irresponsible idiot living out of his bus. Whacha wanna know? Smile

It's possible. Since owning my bus I've spend close to a year and a half living in it full time. Usually I'm moving but I've been at the same spot on this trip for 4 months. I've done a 7 months stint and a 6 month stint before that.

The most important thing that I've found about living in a small space is asking yourself do I "want" this or do I "need" this. I have a few things that I want like my PS3 but most everything I have is a need. Multiple use items are good like the frisbee (plate, bowl, cutting board, fan for the fire, rolling station and toy after the rolling station has been used) You'll find your own groove. After 7 years I'm still tweaking things and moving things around.

Lastly, keep the floor free of stuff. There's nothing worse than pulling into a site and then having to move stuff around in the rain just so you can sit down. It's nice to just pull in and climb over the seats and make some food.
============================
Twitter: www.twitter.com/wanderglobe
YouTube: www.youtube.com/myvwtravels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba.

What Do YOU Look For When Buying A Bus?
Bay Window Bus Buyers / Spotters Guide

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/jova.html

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: living in youe Bus Reply with quote

I am getting ready to do this in a few weeks for a short time period as I drive from San Jose, CA. to Idaho and then to Spokane Washington and then back down the coast to see an old friend in Florence ,Oregon.

Have a great adventure!

As for being able to pick where you spend nighttime has really changed since the 1980's so, be sure you are sober when you look for a campsite so you will not be endangered either by the law or others. Wink
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: living in youe Bus Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
I am getting ready to do this in a few weeks for a short time period as I drive from San Jose, CA. to Idaho and then to Spokane Washington and then back down the coast to see an old friend in Florence ,Oregon.

Have a great adventure!

As for being able to pick where you spend nighttime has really changed since the 1980's so, be sure you are sober when you look for a campsite so you will not be endangered either by the law or others. Wink

Hey, let me know when you come through seattle, as i will get a group of bus owners out to roll out the red carpet and spill beer on it with you. Wink i wont drink, but everyone else will.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not spill any beer Cool
Safe travels. Look me up if you travel through my neck of the woods.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I will not spill any beer Cool
Safe travels. Look me up if you travel through my neck of the woods.

which is where? you failed to put that on your profile...as well as a good pic of that bus of yours....Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a 77 pop-top camper for about a year back in the mid 90's. I was working temp contract jobs away from home, & this was the only way to save money. I was "stealth" camping even before it was a term. IMO, it's not for everyone.

I never parked longer than overnight anywhere. You need to separate your overnight parking event from your meal making events & your van maintenance events. This is directly related to priorities. My #1 priority was safety. Once you are safe, then sleeping is much easier. The #2 on my list was discretion. You need to be discrete in order to be safe. That means making it look like the van is empty so no interior lights, cooking, etc. I would usually "find" good sleeping areas during the day, & go back to park around 10pm. I was usually gone between 5-6am. Nevr past 7am. Once the sun hit the van it was an oven anyway, so no sleeping.
Next on the priority was staying clean & keeping the van clean (inside & out). I had a gym membership for around $150 per mo. Went there daily. Truck stops are also very handy to take a shower. Just make sure you have shower shoes & keep a small spray bottle of bleach/ water mix.

Lots of good daytime places to carry out things & go unnoticed, self-serve car wash, store parking lot, gas stations, auto parts stores. Thats where I would cook food, do maint etc. Note, I never deployed the roof, & I rarely cooked in the van. Too hard to clean up. I had a few coffee shops I went to. Most public "day only" parks have a built in BBQ. I always kept charcoal in the van

Another priority was always keeping the cooler cold & fresh. It's nice to always have cold beer, milk & 1/2 & 1/2. You also need to have fresh water & the ability to make coffee - very important. I had a small single burner coleman stove) To keep the cooler fresh, add a cap of bleach to the inside. Best ice to use is 1 10 pound block (if you can find it) & 1 10 pound bag. This will keep it cold for 3-4 days in the summer.

Anyway, I cant remember all I did, but it's doable once you get a system.

good luck...

Last edited by tjet on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find it now but there is a blog about a boy named Brodie who traveled through most of South America with his parents in a bus. Last time I read it they had been on the road 3 years. It is a great blog and makes me want to load it up and head out.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_wilburn wrote:
Can't find it now but there is a blog about a boy named Brodie who traveled through most of South America with his parents in a bus. Last time I read it they had been on the road 3 years. It is a great blog and makes me want to load it up and head out.

www.bodeswell.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wanderglobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I lived in a 77 pop-top camper for about a year back in the mid 90's. I was working temp contract jobs away from home, & this was the only way to save money. I was "stealth" camping even before it was a term. IMO, it's not for everyone.

SNIP

good luck...

Yup. Everything you said is bang on. I would usually find a nice park for cooking. Like having a BBQ every night. Before leaving I would put down the bunk and get everything ready to crash out. Go for a beer or a coffee and after dark pull into your safe spot. My favorite spot in Imerpial Beach CA had some open wifi hotspots as well. Check email, catch up, go to sleep, leave at first light. If you're traveling from town to town then a YMCA membership is good because it's honored across the country.
============================
Twitter: www.twitter.com/wanderglobe
YouTube: www.youtube.com/myvwtravels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only minor caveat to your plan is that assuming the vehicle is registered in CA and is 1976 or newer that you need the smog check thing. Either find a bus that is 1975 or older or expect the smog thing. Have fun too.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of other things I want to mention:

Get a AAA+ card & a pre-paid basic cell. This is very important because if you break down, you will need to hitchhike to an auto parts house & hitch hike back. Not easily done. I broke down twice. Once, I was 75 miles away from Twin Falls Idaho at 11pm on a cold Sunday night. It was the middle of nowhere. I ended up just pushing the van far off the road & just crashed out until daylight. In the morning, I discovered I only needed an alternator (& battery), so I called around & found a parts house that had both about 85 miles away. I then called AAA & had my van (& myself Cool ) towed the entire way. My + membership gives me a 100 mile free tow. Going to a parts house gives you access to more tools too (they will lend them out)

Also, just because you are living out of a van, it's not free. It's just a big time money saver. You will still need to work, say part-time or temp work at least.

Ultimately, the reason I stopped living out of a van was because it was tough to stay warm. My van had no heat, & I did not want to spend another winter in Idaho w/o heat. I did have a very warm sleeping bag (expensive) & I would crawl into it with a military parka on. I think if I did it now, I would invest in a solar power battery system, & install a small efficient heater & a mattress heating pad (& good one). The solar systems available nowadays were n/a back then. I would also fabricate an interior insulation pad to cover the back hatch. I cant remember how many times I would wake up if my hand touched the frozen window or metal.
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Couple of other things I want to mention:

Get a AAA+ card & a pre-paid basic cell. This is very important because if you break down, you will need to hitchhike to an auto parts house & hitch hike back. Not easily done. I broke down twice. Once, I was 75 miles away from Twin Falls Idaho at 11pm on a cold Sunday night. It was the middle of nowhere. I ended up just pushing the van far off the road & just crashed out until daylight. In the morning, I discovered I only needed an alternator (& battery), so I called around & found a parts house that had both about 85 miles away. I then called AAA & had my van (& myself Cool ) towed the entire way. My + membership gives me a 100 mile free tow. Going to a parts house gives you access to more tools too (they will lend them out)

tjet was lucky that the parts he need were somewhat generic and available

the hardest thing about traveling in a bus is........
if and when it breaks down
90% of the parts are not available at the local auto part store
if you need something as simple as a throttle cable or clutch cable. you could be stuck for a few weeks while you find one then have it shipped to your location

the other thing is knowing how to do the work yourself roadside
and having the tools to do it

I live in the los Angeles area and sometimes I work in san diego for
a week or 2 at a time (120miles away) instead of getting a hotel room
or making a long commute I live out of my bus while in san diego

the "living in it" part is not hard at all
and I find it enjoyable since its only temporary and the weather is always good there

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:

/snip
90% of the parts are not available at the local auto part store
if you need something as simple as a throttle cable or clutch cable. you could be stuck for a few weeks while you find one then have it shipped to your location

The 10% available are that way because they are the common things so most likely to be needed.

In the 2nd and third world trivial things like like clutch and throttle cables are simply fabricated. Can be done in the States too if you have the right mindset.

Need a wiper motor? Hit the local library, jump on the net and call around to the usual places. You can have one in 2 days with the proper application of plastic. Even if you go for slow (cheep) shipping and are stuck in town for 10 days, you can rustle up a weeks work most places, keep busy and put away some cash while living in the van. You get to know the locals, the cops, lend a little color....

Carry a binder with a couple pages of resources and phone numbers (including other owners) and you can skip the library.

Taking an old vehicle cross country and being on a tight schedule is unwise. Part of the trip of taking an old bus out on the road is to live a very different way. If you allow yourself to become immersed in the people and resources surrounding you the possibilities are amazing. But that is why you are out there, not to stay in the narrow little box you live in at home.

vw76westy wrote:
the other thing is knowing how to do the work yourself roadside
and having the tools to do it

Yes. A basic tool kit and basic mechanical ability will do. Other tools can be bought or borrowed if needed. You don't need everything. Pack as much cash as possible. You can always put it back into the kids trust funds if you don't need it.

If the vehicle has been maintained and shaken out something like a brake or bearing failure is not to be expected. But a points ignition can get flakey pretty easily. Starters and alternators should be confirmed solid. Batteries can be bought anywhere, voltage regulators from the net or a junkyard. The more you know the better. Carry manuals. Practice peace of mind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: