Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SMS Auto Fabrics
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1960bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: SMS Auto Fabrics Reply with quote

Has anyone, anywhere, ever had a good experience with them?

They pretty much have a monopoly on the supply of any restoration fabric worldwide and I can only find bad reviews. I received some samples really quickly but I have zero confidence anything would be dispatched quickly if I placed an order particularly as I'm not in the US.

1958 Ghia Vert
1960 RHD Deluxe Microbus
1966 RHD Devon Kombi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask t3kg from these threads as they had some early Type 3 / Type 34 upholstery made by SMS:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360063
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281462
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also contact Dwayne (djway3474)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=

He paid in 2013 IIRC.... and still waiting.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
1960bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's quicker for just fabric though? There products are amazing but the customer service seems to get the worst feedback I've seen.

1958 Ghia Vert
1960 RHD Deluxe Microbus
1966 RHD Devon Kombi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made the order for the door panels and matching fabric, they shipped my fabric right away. Loren ordered fabric but I am not sure if he only put a deposit down, whereas I paid in full.
Don't order stuff like welting though. They charged me 3.50 a yard where the exact same stuff in the proper size is only .55 per yard locally, I discovered the hard way Evil or Very Mad
It is just the promised delivery time VS delivery date that has been the problem so far. That and they made me pay in full up front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered vinyl and a set of door panels on 9-12-13, paid in full and still don't have any of the products I paid for. Dwayne and I have been contacting them on a regular basis and the completion date keeps getting pushed further and further into the future. I have seen their low light door panels in person and they are fantastic, but the wait time is ridiculous. Dwayne got his vinyl fairly quickly so they might be faster at sending vinyl than making door panels. All of the reviews I have read state that they have long wait times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren I think it is your turn to send them a note LOL
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Lemke running SMS? Wink
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Lemke mats and I have seen SMS panels. I don't think he works at all. They may be slow but they got quality. Wink
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently SMS now has no idea when the panels will be ready
1960bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should offer to go down there. Pick the vinyl off the shelves get their aluminum dialectric press tool, cut the vinyl and put it in the press and make it for them.

I wonder if a bulk buy would make them realize it was worth their while. I don't quite understand how the accountants can keep up with this take the money and deliver 2 years later deal.

1958 Ghia Vert
1960 RHD Deluxe Microbus
1966 RHD Devon Kombi
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't quite understand how the accountants can keep up with this take the money and NOT deliver 2 years later deal.

FIFY Cool
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this thread (type 3 guy) and thought I would share my experience.

I live very close so I drove down to their facility. I just wanted fabric and I knew what I wanted. So it was very easy as they showed me the roll and I said yup that's the stuff and they cut it and I was on my way. Not cheap though but less than I had seen on the Samba posts I had read.

Customer service was OK. Gal at reception and other guy in office area ( maybe owner) were friendly. Guy who brought the material up to show me and cut it was not so much.

So I think getting fabric would be very easy. I can't speak about actually getting panels.

Although the building was pretty big I am guessing that this is somewhat a mom and pop type operation with a big backlog of orders. Mollala is a pretty small town and it looked very much like the employees had worked here for years and years.

Just sharing. Not sure this is really helpful. But I would go there again if I needed materials.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68vwfasty wrote:
...Mollala is a pretty small town and it looked very much like the employees had worked here for years and years.

Just sharing. Not sure this is really helpful. But I would go there again if I needed materials.

Thanks for that...would seem a personal visit for material is the way to go.

Mollala is just 30 miles from Salem so I'm wondering if Mike Gregory has used them much? I'll PM him and see if he has anything to add.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe 2 years.. that's ridiculous - for something they apparently have in stock! I just have trouble believing anywhere is that busy that they can't produce a set of door cards for two years (and if they are then they must be able to hire more people). Surely there's other places with the supplies/ability to make your door cards (trim tec?).

The only way I'd wait is if the car resto was a long way off interior and it's not holding anything up.. but there does become a point where you need to do the interior! Plus if they can't do it in that time length why make you pay in full?
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
68vwfasty wrote:
...Mollala is a pretty small town and it looked very much like the employees had worked here for years and years.

Mollala is just 30 miles from Salem so I'm wondering if Mike Gregory has used them much? I'll PM him and see if he has anything to add.

SMS is located in Canby which is a few miles North of Molalla....still relatively close to my shop. I had heard of the long wait times as well but experienced it first hand on two sets of 58-60 panels I ordered. The wait was right at 14 months.
I have some panels on order right now as well and I think I'm close to that wait again.
I get good pretty quick replies to my emails. I'm able to show up in person from time to time, and they are always nice and helpful.
Dwayne and Loren.....I'm planning a trip to sms fairly soon to look at some material for another project, I'll ask Doug about your panels.
On the subject of payment...SMS has never asked for full pmt from me....half down, half when done.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HouseofGhia wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
68vwfasty wrote:

SMS is located in Canby which is a few miles North of Molalla....still relatively close to my shop. I had heard of the long wait times as well but experienced it first hand on two sets of 58-60 panels I ordered. The wait was right at 14 months.
I have some panels on order right now as well and I think I'm close to that wait again.
I get good pretty quick replies to my emails. I'm able to show up in person from time to time, and they are always nice and helpful.
Dwayne and Loren.....I'm planning a trip to sms fairly soon to look at some material for another project, I'll ask Doug about your panels.
On the subject of payment...SMS has never asked for full pmt from me....half down, half when done.

thanks Mike. SMS required both Loren and I to pay in full.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting....

I've always wondered why the process takes so long....maybe I'll inquire the next time i'm there Wink . My current panels are still in the mounting stage which is where the bottleneck is I think.
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canby, sorry meant to type that. Thanks for the correction Mike.

Hope to visit House of Ghia when I take my car to the Bug In.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68vwfasty wrote:
Canby, sorry meant to type that. Thanks for the correction Mike.

Hope to visit House of Ghia when I take my car to the Bug In.

that sounds good.....just a few months away...cant wait!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: