Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

List of all wrench sizes
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: List of all wrench sizes Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm finishing up high school and I will be apprenticing with a old Porsche mechanic along with continuing to work on my VW's while i get my GED's out of the way at the comunity college. What i need to know is:

1. A list of all nut and bolt sizes on 25hp, 36hp, 40hp VW engines/trasmissions and Porsche 356A through 356C and 912 engines/transmissions.

2. A list of any nut and bolt sizes for bodies of the above stated engines that were not listed under number one.

3. Any VW or Porsche specific tools that I will need.

I need to make list so I can make a (vey exensive) trip to the Snap On truck Very Happy
cheers!
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: List of all wrench sizes Reply with quote

vwhavermahan wrote:
Hi!
I need to make list so I can make a (vey exensive) trip to the Snap On truck Very Happy
cheers!

No offense, but that would be a staggeringly long (and expensive) list of tools that you don't need.

I would suggest you go to Sears and spend maybe $100 on a decent metric starter set and some general hand tools. That will keep you wrenching for months, and if/when you need something more exotic you can buy it as needed.

The lure of Snap-On Guy has been the career death and financial ruin of many a young mechanic. I would avoid that trip into his truck as long as possible.

But, if you must, spend a few hours reading through the tool section about 2/3rd's of the way down this page:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a handful of tools that Snap-on that are far superior than other brands but other than that....
You might take advice from a bunch of us that will chime in.
You would be better off spreading your dollars and obtaining a greater selection. You might find some of the cheapest tools are your favorite ones.

PS: Sorry Snap-on guys Wink
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's snapon? some sort of fancy breaking tool? Go cheap for now and get an assortment. a full rolling toolbox of affordable tools does more than taking out a loan to finish buying a set of wrenches. Just be warned on cheap tools, don't cheap out on screwdrivers, tons of the reeealy cheap ones just dont last. I would say craftsman at least on them. If this is your new trade, I dont suggest HF tools, but if this will be a hobby, without year round heavy duty use, you can cheap out like the masses of thesamba , just like myself. Most who wind up with all of the snapon exclusive stuff either have deep pockets, or aquire them over time

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime Im at a flea market or garage sale I pick up a few random $1 or $2 Craftsman or better wrenches and sockets. You will find that even when you end up with the " one of everything" list completed, you'll love having three 13 mm combos laying about right where you need it!
mahan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! My mom's boyfriends dad was aircraft mechanic and built racing bike engines and he just gave me his old snap on collection so I have a great start! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: