Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Euro ignition switch question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: 1967 Euro ignition switch question Reply with quote

Hi all. As I am new to the VW family I'm still getting familiar with certain things. I bought a 1967 Euro spec Beetle (my first) and the owner told me that because of vandalism she had to replace the ignition switch. it was installed in the dash but the original is in the column and it does not have a steering lock either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can someone clarify for me if an ignition switch in the column is correct for this Euro spec vehicle?
I THOUGHT - the ignition switch was supposed to be in the dash and I was surprised to find it in the column when I went to see it.

Any input is appreciated
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Column lock is the ignition switch all in one.

Check out the "Technical Bulletins", especially the series "Z" section here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletin_index.php

Shows the earlier model.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a European steering lock like the one you have in my 64 bug, it is the ignition switch and column lock built into one. I eliminated the original ignition switch in the dash by slightly enlarging the hole and putting a cigarette lighter there. The only reason I put one in is because years ago, someone tried to steal my other 64 bug. The steering wheel locked on them and they left it in the street. As far as I've read, those came standard on euro models but maybe someone with more info will chime in.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This lock is called Neimann, which was standard in Germany and France and an option (factory or dealer) in Belgium.By the way, Neimann locking is a French invention. On my 67 vert, a Belgian car, the Neimann is a dealer installation after a theft and the original dash switch was replaced by a fog light switch in the early 70's
The 67 version is the black housing without marks on it. Earlier versions were white with ignition marks on it.
A Neimann is installed with special screws that have to be drilled out. Normal M6 screws can also be used by the way.
Neimann switches can be repaired and German vw sites sell the ignition key system.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info so far, thanks.

Ok, firstly - I have actually drivin the car using only the new ignition cylinder in the dash and not turning the original at all and had no incident of the steering wheel locking so I assume the lock no longer works?

Second, being that there is currently no electrical portion of the ignition switch behind the column cylinder my question is: is that portion available on its own?

Learning a lot here!
Thanks again
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the lock has been disabled, or the steering shaft with the special weld on latch portion has been replaced with non-locking shaft.

Yes, the ignition switch for those are available.

Did a quick search of the WWW for ignition switch lock for VW Beetle and got this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=locking+steering+shaft+switch+VW+Beetle

Looks like you can buy one for $15.00 from M&T Manufacturing. If you go that way buy two of them so you have a spare, these switches seem to come and go in availability.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Could be the lock has been disabled, or the steering shaft with the special weld on latch portion has been replaced with non-locking shaft.

Yes, the ignition switch for those are available.

Did a quick search of the WWW for ignition switch lock for VW Beetle and got this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=locking+steering+shaft+switch+VW+Beetle

Looks like you can buy one for $15.00 from M&T Manufacturing. If you go that way buy two of them so you have a spare, these switches seem to come and go in availability.

For that reason, I would also wire it to a relay so this switch only has to provide tripping current for the relay. It should last forever when it doesn't have to carry the solenoid hold current.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=For that reason, I would also wire it to a relay so this switch only has to provide tripping current for the relay. It should last forever when it doesn't have to carry the solenoid hold current.[/quote]

Good idea however I just found an issue!

Every switch i find with a view of where the cylinder and switch mate is different then the cylinder thats in the car.
any ideas about this new information?
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have experience with this type of key cylinder and switch mismatch?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any ignition contact switch with that shape switch actuator. Looked through the classifieds and it seems you may have a Kolb lock unit like this one, and notice it doesn't have an ignition contact switch either...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1708284

Another vendor was Neiman like this one, which does have the switch. I'm guessing the replacement switch will fit this one, but you would have to ask the seller or have others chime in with more info...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1733880

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I've never seen any ignition contact switch with that shape switch actuator. Looked through the classifieds and it seems you may have a Kolb lock unit like this one, and notice it doesn't have an ignition contact switch either...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1708284

Another vendor was Neiman like this one, which does have the switch. I'm guessing the replacement switch will fit this one, but you would have to ask the seller or have others chime in with more info...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1733880

Yes, Thats exactly what i have! I'll need to research that some.
Thanks for finding that Bruce!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: