Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The adventures of "Marigold"
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLF-Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: The adventures of "Marigold" Reply with quote

I want to introduce our ride to this fine community. This is 'Marigold'.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mari" is a '76 with a country homes conversion (formerly of Oakland, Ca) that has had two previous owners. The girl we bought her from has owned her since 1982 and kept every receipt to every single thing bought or done to her since '82.

We are Pete and Lisa and our dog, Blue. We are in our late 30's and mid-40's. We aren't hippies, losers, slackers, bum's, etc. In fact, until recently, we were highly skilled professionals in our fields - her, after a stint for the Us Army, a twenty year veteran of the Fire service, electing to take an early retirement as a Captain so she could buy Marigold to begin the second phase of her life. Me - a health care professional tired of the same ol' patient, problem and health insurance regulation, also ready for a big change. So we quit our jobs and are going to hit the road in Marigold. No schedules. No bosses. No paychecks - just us as our own boss and living off the savings we have accumulated. No exact destinations in mind - just know we want to see the road, see the country, meet new people, do things on our terms, enjoy the time we have together on this earth.
We just want to live on the road and see the country, possibly with the idea of finding an eventual long term settle down place as California is just a little overgrown for our taste.

Our friends immediately told us about the samba as it has been a while since either of us has owned an old VW. We both grew up in them. My parents did a very similar jaunt across the country at a young age - conceiving me in the back of their '68. So i guess it is destiny that i return to the van. Plus, all we hear from people is how we should be doing this type of trip in a nice, new, boring RV.... That has never been for us. So we bought an old veeDub

So we have started a few little trips locally - eastern sierra nevada's and the northern california coast to work out the bugs and figure out exactly what we need to do to Marigold to make this comfy for the two of us and the dog.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the road in our journeys - hopefully for a beer and a discussion and not so much for mechanical needs...

First trip - southbound. Arizona for spring training and the sites, up through utah, montana, idaho, washington, Canada - BC, then either north to alaska or south along the coast to oregon and home in nor cal before gearing up for the next one, depending on whats going on and how we feel.

I can appreciate all the stories and tips. Please send them if you have done this type of travels. We started a blog for friends and family (who may be freakin out a little) that will be updated even more regularly if you are into that type of stuff - some about the bus, a lot to come about the trip, started with stories and occasional rants about life, work, priorities in life, etc.
and lots more pictures there. .... Untilsweetdeath.wordpress.com

So, thanks in advance for the knowledge that i will be gleaning from all of you.
First beer is on me, wherever we run into you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, have fun!

Post in the Bay Window Forum if you have trouble anywhere - people are always happy to help out
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun in your travels! When you pop up through Idaho, look ahead on www.buspilots.com to see if any of our events coincide with your visit! Even if it's just for a monthly pizza meeting- we'd love to roll the red carpet for you!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
PLF-Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Have fun in your travels! When you pop up through Idaho, look ahead on www.buspilots.com to see if any of our events coincide with your visit! Even if it's just for a monthly pizza meeting- we'd love to roll the red carpet for you!

Sweet. We will roll in if we are your way.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Smile im avalible to connect with in seattle. Smile give me a call.

206 841 7324

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PLF-Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Sweet Smile im avalible to connect with in seattle. Smile give me a call.

206 841 7324

Awesome. We have family up in bellingham and an uncle over on orcas island so we will be spending a good chunk of time in washington. That is actually one of the states we really want to see alot of for future moving decisions. See ys on the road!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just North of Eugene, OR. Stop and/or spend the night with us if you get tired near us. I'm retired too, so I can tow you in with my tow dolly if you break down? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: