Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truline feed mechanism
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Truline feed mechanism Reply with quote

I'm in the process of making my own line bore setup.

What I need to know is if the information I was able to find about how it works is correct. I read that the feed mechanism is hydraulic and is based on a closed cylinder, filled with oil, fixed to the case with a piston inside that is attached to the boring bar, that has a spiral groove cut into the outside diameter.
As the piston spins, oil is caught by the groove, and as the oil travels to the other end of the piston, it fills up the area behind the piston. Thereby, "feeding" the piston slowly forward in the cylinder.

Is this correct? Anyone have any pictures of the piston?

It sounds like it would work but, I really don't feel like making the necessary parts if this is just hogwash.

Thanks,
Dan
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the truline doesn't have a hydraulic feed , it uses a screw feed . If ur gonna make ur own feed , make it like a lathe .. smooth and more precise .. the hydraulic feeds jump around , at least that's what I heard
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feed is mechanical...

Some clues to be found here...

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=true+line+boring+bar

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine you already have a lathe if you are considering this project. If you have at least a 13" swing, make a heavy bar with the cutters, a way to fix the case to the carriage, and use the lead screw on the lathe to feed the case across the bar. The bar is chucked on one end and centered with the tailstock. You will need to make some very accurate end bushings with this setup or a portable unit. With accurate bushings and a sturdy bar, this should be more ridged then a portable unit, and you can fine tune your speed and feed rate. Pretty sure this is how rimco has always done their cases.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I would imagine you already have a lathe if you are considering this project. If you have at least a 13" swing, make a heavy bar with the cutters, a way to fix the case to the carriage, and use the lead screw on the lathe to feed the case across the bar. The bar is chucked on one end and centered with the tailstock. You will need to make some very accurate end bushings with this setup or a portable unit. With accurate bushings and a sturdy bar, this should be more ridged then a portable unit, and you can fine tune your speed and feed rate. Pretty sure this is how rimco has always done their cases.

Brian

This is problably the quickest way to do it , the bar will be supported on both ends and centered to the case just like any other line bore bar so in such a way tht the case is just floating on the bar , attachment of the carriage doesn't have to be so rigid just needs to follow the lead screw precisely .
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I have access to several engine lathes at work. Along with the usual Bridgeports, grinders, edm wire machines, etc. I'm a tool and Die maker by trade.

I did already make a fixture to hold the case on the cross slide, with the case sitting on it's side, being held to the fixture using 2 of the cylinder bores. I figured I'd shim the case to get the flange face and OD that fits into the trans indicated in for height and perpendicularity.

There is only 1 glitch in this idea. The company I work for is totally fine with "government jobs", but, I could only do this during my lunch breaks (1/2 hour) or before or after work (20 minutes). When breaks or lunch is over, the machines have to be open for regular work. By the time I would get it half indicated in, I'd have to tear it down.

This is why I want to make a portable bar like a Truline, to do it at home.

Dan

(I do have a enco bench mill at home, unfortunately it doesn't have power feed and I don't have a lathe)
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I figured out the mechanism.

It appears that it involves 2 threads, of different pitch, one LH and one RH.

I had a need for this setup for very precise measurement adjustments on a machine design about a year ago and kept thinking "I have to remember this, someday I might need it".

And Presto! It looks like today is that day! Very Happy

Dan
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a TruLine? That is the question. Very Happy

I may have a spare feed and 1 chrome bar I can separate w/.

I have been meaning to make some nicer feeds for the TruLIne w/ more robust leadscrew..like ACME threads -just like in an engine lathe.

The TruLIne is a real wonder in its design. The power is from a single source. The bar will spin and feed at the same time w/ the smallest advance.

With only 1/2 hour to work w/ that is hardly enough to clean up the table and tram the workhead on the mill.

To build this unit from scratch, you will need several machines: engine lathe, mill, deviding head, and all the toolings you can muster.

I am in the process of rebushing the feed on the spare TrulIne and machining a fresh end bushing for it.

PM me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't REALLY need a Truline. I could just send it to a VW machine shop or buy a new case.

But, with some of the machine work I've seen done over the years, both to car parts and even at work, I'd rather do it myself. (my current job is the 8th machine shop I've worked in over the last 38 years, including 2 defense contractors)

And this is in no way a dig to you or anyone else that does VW machining here on the samba, just to be clear.

As far as tooling and machines, here at work the only things we don't have is a chrome plating area and a gear cutting department. Although I've cut gears on a lathe before.

We've got;
Milling, drilling, lathe, grinding, jig boring, polishing, (cnc and manual).
Wire feed EDM machines (like a band saw only using wire for making die parts)
Punch presses, full sheetmetal shop, welding, stainless and bronze investment cast foundries.
Alloys are A-2, 300 and 400 series stainless, cast iron, aluminum, bronze, 17-4, stellite, cpm 10v, mild steel, carbide.

And, like I said, I'm in Tool and Die, so I pretty much have a free hand to use what I want. Very Happy

In other words, it's GOVENMENT JOB CENTRAL!

And if I really wanted to, I could take 4 hours of vacation time, and stay and work on my own stuff.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: