Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Central Coast Road Trip
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Central Coast Road Trip Reply with quote

On Saturday morning I got up at the crack, went surfing for a few hours and came home to find the day warming and my poor wife still feeling ill with a nasty cold. My daughter made arrangements with a friend, but I needed to get my son out of the house so I cooked up a little dune buggy adventure. We considered several locales to check out, and settled on the famous Mavericks surf spot at Pillar Point Harbor, just a bit north of Half Moon Bay. It was a perfect day for motoring, with sunshine and 70º temperatures. A big groundswell was pounding the coast, and the buoy reports showed that we might have a shot at seeing something spectacular. We stuffed a backpack with snacks, warm clothes for the ride home and a couple of bottles of water, and with exhaust pipes growling we roared out of the neighborhood. After a quick stop to fill up with gas, we headed north on Highway 1.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The buggy was running great and we were zooming along at 60 with few cars and spectacular surf breaking at every little pocket beach we passed. It was a little cool and as we approached Gazos Creek Beach I suggested we pull over and put on some sweatshirts. I hadn't been up there in a while, but there was an abandoned ice cream and burger place across from the beach and I figured it would be an easy place to stop. We got there to find a new business booming there, with a nearly full parking lot, and the smell of onion rings in the air. Bobby took a few whiffs and suggested we wander inside to have a little late lunch, and we were on it. The Highway 1 Brewing Company was doing a brisk business, and we feasted on pot roast sliders with fried onions, cheese and horseradish sauce. This is a place we will be visiting again.

http://www.highway1brewing.com/

As usual, there was a crowd of people checking out the buggy, and after a bit of chitty chat, we loaded up and hit the road again. We had a great drive, the little 1600 hustling along at abut 60, downshifting for the long grades up, and coasting down the backsides. This is really a spectacular drive, and I wish I would have taken some pictures along the way, but we were on a mission and daylight was burning. We clicked of landmarks like Greyhound Rock, Waddell Creek, Pidgeon Point and finally we approached Half Moon Bay. Just a few miles from our destination, traffic was moving at a crawl, and it looked like everyone from San Francisco south decided to come to the beach at the same time. We waded through it, getting thumbs up from the guys in the classic Jag with longboards on top, and smiles from the girlfriend in the convertible Mustang. We approached Pillar Point Harbor, and wound through the little neighborhood of fish shacks, boat yards and now a cluster of upscale restaurants, all with big crowds and full parking lots. The road snakes around the north side of the harbor, and ends at a tiny dirt parking lot, which was completely full. We doubled back and found a little pull off that was just far enough from the no parking signs that we couldn't see them on either end. One upside of the buggy is it fits in small places.

Pillar Point Harbor is really beautiful, and on this day it didn't disappoint. The sun was low, and it was dead calm, really idyllic.

We hiked down the little trail to Mavericks, and while the surf was big, it wasn't the spectacular show we were hoping for. We were still pretty stoked to be there, and we watched the waves and the last few surfers paddling in as the sun set.

This photo shows the infamous Boneyard, a place you definitely don't want to be on a surf day at Mavs.

This arial photo poached from the net provides some orientation, and gives you a good idea of the layout. The Boneyard photo was taken from the small beach at the base of the bluffs.

We hung around as the sun set, then bundled up for the 52 mile ride back to Santa Cruz. Once we cleared the maddening traffic around Half Moon Bay, Highway 1 was ours and we bombed up and down the creek canyons, through redwoods and artichoke fields, noting the change in landscape by smell and temperature in the absence of light. We stayed warm in down jackets and knit beanies, and Bobby spent half the ride looking up at the stars as we roared along. Soon we were back in town, and we made one last stop at the same gas station where our trip started so we could calculate our fuel economy. We managed just under 25 mpg, which seemed about right considering the afternoon wind we plowed through on the way up, and how much I had my foot into it on the way home. All in it was great time, and my son was as stoked on the day as I was, asking where our next trip would be and when we would go. This was the longest trip to date in my little green roadster, and it ran flawlessly throughout.

Last edited by andygere on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Story.
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sounds like a very special day with your son and your beautiful buggy. Thanks for sharing.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Andy. Being a surfer with a dune buggy myself I can just imagine what a great day you and your son had. I drive mine to the beach daily here is So Cal. We are very fortunate to be able to drive our buggies almost any time of year. Thank you Bruce Meyers for making my childhood dreams come true.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool trip! Thanks for sharing. I will be making that trip on about July 8 with the ECVW gang. Having never seen that area, I cannot wait!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That coast section is great, having in past lived in Salinas and Santa Cruz we explored that area much... The town of Half Moon Bay is great place to spend a day just exploring the harbor and the touristy down town area.... If you want a little wilder drive then down Highway 1 from Monterey to below Big Sur is great... It is very rugged and you are so high up from water at times you can almost see Hawaii.... Lunch at Nepenthe is a great treat... You can go all the way to Morro Bay, below Hearst Castle and then come back inland to highway 101 and through the new wine country of the Salinas Valley...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great memories for you and your son. Also a great looking and accessorized buggy that obviously runs great too!

The seats look comfy enough and I like the side tanks, rear cargo rack and what looks like some sort of support for a top?

Great buggy and story!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really was a terrific day. As Dale suggests, we will be venturing south on Highway 1 before too long. The Big Sur coastline is just spectacular, and Nepenthe has been a favorite lunch stop for us for years.

The metal bars tying the roll bar to the windshield are indeed a roof support, check pictures in my gallery to see it. Unfortunately the previous owner cut the hard top to be more of a T-top to make it easier to get in and out. I like the look of the buggy with the roof off, and it makes visibility better too. I was told the seats were from a Mustang (year unknown) but were narrowed by an upholstery shop to make them fit better. They are pretty comfortable, and I like the detailing on the color matched piping.

We are quite lucky to have such nice weather in the middle of winter (the severe drought not withstanding), and with the major winter storm bearing down on my east coast friends and family, I feel a little bad telling everyone how nice it is here. Hopefully it will provide some inspiration, spring is on the way.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think right now I would trade a bit of out left coast sun for a little east coast bad weather....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECVW group will be staying in Salinas on 7-8-15, then on 7-9-15 will head South on Highway 1 to Ventura then over to Anaheim. We will be stopping in Big Sur for pictures.

BTW, you are welcome to all of this Eastern weather you want, I am done with it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we pulled into the Highway 1 Brewing Company, I immediately noticed this sharp looking Bay Window van in the lot. We ended up following it for a while as we motored North after lunch. I noticed some logos on the van, and when we saw it again at the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company I figured it was on a brewery tour. I found the link to Vantigo on the Highway 1 Brewing Co. website. Check it out.
http://vantigosf.com/brewery-tours

Manx Alot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Nice write up and pics.
Tell me about your 5-spoke wheels (what brand / did you find them local) ?

Thanks
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! a 1 day drive that will put a smile on faces for forever!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest in our little road trip, it was my longest to date and I'm gaining confidence in this fun little car.

Manx Alot wrote:
Andy,

Nice write up and pics.
Tell me about your 5-spoke wheels (what brand / did you find them local) ?

Thanks

The wheels are American Racing Torq Thrust IIs in Bright PVD finish. Fronts are 15x6 and rears are 15x8. I ordered them through my local tire shop (Lloyd's Tires in Santa Cruz, CA). Their pricing was very competitive with what I was able to source on line, and their service and installation was excellent. Details are here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609459&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: