Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65' Velvet Green Walk Through Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
GTV wrote:
They are riveted in, drill out the rivets.

Thanks! I am assuming that WW or someone sells the replacement rivets when the time comes?

Regular 3/16" rivets from the hardware store.
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to finish taking apart the seat fabric/ upholstery today after work and discovered the rear seat frames were in good shape despite the rat nests...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also got a chance to clean up the original paint and put on the extra door to replace the bashed one. I think it turned out pretty well. Thoughts?

*Also, in the process of replacing the cargo door, I had to drill out the lower door screws, which caused the plate that the screws go into (in between the door frame to break. Does anyone reproduced this part as it will need new? Also, how do I get the old one out? I tried searching, but did not find much. Thanks!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately that is a common problem as the plates are not welded to the body and drop into the abyss if you remove all of the bolts at the same time

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277072&highlight=cargo+door+screws

btw don't chuck the seat fabric - you might find you have a use for it (if for nothing more than a tool roll- just saying)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a warmer say here in PA. Was able to remove the front mat only to see swiss cheese on the front floor. Another thing that caught my eye was the shift rod bolts. They both appear to stripped pretty bad. Any good way to remove these?

Also, what is up with my heater knob? It doesn't look remotely close to any of the ones I have seen that came standard..

wedv907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that floor will look less intimidating once you get all the old pieces out.weld some nuts on the top of old shifter bolts and the heat from welding and new place to put socket on will take them right out.the buses i have done i found there was no other repair more rewarding than throwing a new front floor down.try not to get overwhelmed on the big picture and just start focusing on certain areas,before long you will be driving it.htr knob looks custom ,but i like it as i have an old glass door knob as my shifter. good luck jeff
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
Finally a warmer say here in PA. Was able to remove the front mat only to see swiss cheese on the front floor. Another thing that caught my eye was the shift rod bolts. They both appear to stripped pretty bad. Any good way to remove these?

Also, what is up with my heater knob? It doesn't look remotely close to any of the ones I have seen that came standard..

Go to the hardware store and pick up a bottle of yellow map gas and an adaptor that screws right onto the tank. The advice to weld on nuts I completely agree with, however there is always another way. If you heat the living hell out of those nuts with this torch you can use vice grips to very easily remove stripped bolts. In between heating spray some PB Blaster and it will get absorbed into the threads. You can do it!

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmike81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus you have there, jealous, as I am looking for a walk thru similar here in New England.
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update to the bus. As I am going through seeing what exactly needs new metal and replaced, I am perplexed as to my findings. Looking at other pictures and diagrams, I have noticed that I am missing the long heater tube from the front of the bus to the rear. Where can I find it?

Also, when looking at the engine tin, I noticed that this is two separate pieces as seen in the picture below. On my beetle it is only one solid piece of engine tin. Am I correct in thinking that the bus engines have one piece tin also?

Thanks!
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
Another update to the bus. As I am going through seeing what exactly needs new metal and replaced, I am perplexed as to my findings. Looking at other pictures and diagrams, I have noticed that I am missing the long heater tube from the front of the bus to the rear. Where can I find it?

Also, when looking at the engine tin, I noticed that this is two separate pieces as seen in the picture below. On my beetle it is only one solid piece of engine tin. Am I correct in thinking that the bus engines have one piece tin also?

Thanks!

On the tin, one side of the motor has one piece tin and the thermostat side is two piece.

I haven't ever seen a repop heater tube. Either hunt down a used one or make your own.
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to finally look at the engine to get a better idea of what I am working with. I think it is what appears to be the stock engine, but have a few questions below. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) The engine is stamped D0000781- The bus itself is a 1965, however after looking at a few resources, opinions vary whether or not the D stamp is original or rebuilt. Any insight? Also, what size is the engine based off of the picture and the information. I am fairly certain it is a 1200cc, but would like to know for sure before getting into it..

2) Looking at the distributor and those images of other buses, including the Bentley, it is missing the vacuum cylinder and looks completely different. Any ideas about the distributor? Has it been switched to electronic ignition or what?

3) Upon removing some of the grease and grim to the block, there is a WC stamped in the block, as seen in the pic below. Anyone have something similar to this? My beetle does not have this stamped into it Confused

spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Looks to be an aftermarket "009"distributor-not original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:

1) The engine is stamped D0000781- The bus itself is a 1965, however after looking at a few resources, opinions vary whether or not the D stamp is original or rebuilt. Any insight? Also, what size is the engine based off of the picture and the information. I am fairly certain it is a 1200cc, but would like to know for sure before getting into it..

D says 1200cc 40 horse, looks like one, too. grab a 1600 exhaust and hold it up to it, if it is too wide, you have a 40horse still

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
Looking at other pictures and diagrams, I have noticed that I am missing the long heater tube from the front of the bus to the rear. Where can I find it?
See 2nd post in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609514
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
65Bugsmasher wrote:

D says 1200cc 40 horse, looks like one, too. grab a 1600 exhaust and hold it up to it, if it is too wide, you have a 40horse still

Awesome, will have to check that out. The PO stated that it was a 1500cc. I am still learning the ropes of bus parts specifically. Would it be a fresh air, or stale air 1200cc? I still do not know how to figure that out...
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the Alan Schofield center heat pipe. I bought their full kit since all of mine were rotten and my center was missing too. Check the others and make sure they are solid because you can't buy the others individually.

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2429768-Heater-Tube-72-211255785A.html

Also you have a fresh air motor due to the tubes that are coming off the fan shroud. Its hard to tell the difference between a 1200 and 1500, at least for me.
I checked your engine number and it looks like an Aug 65 Type 1 1200cc motor according to the charts.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Here is the link to the Alan Schofield center heat pipe. I bought their full kit since all of mine were rotten and my center was missing too. Check the others and make sure they are solid because you can't buy the others individually.

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2429768-Heater-Tube-72-211255785A.html

Also you have a fresh air motor due to the tubes that are coming off the fan shroud. Its hard to tell the difference between a 1200 and 1500, at least for me.
I checked your engine number and it looks like an Aug 65 Type 1 1200cc motor according to the charts.

Thanks for the helpful link. I noticed when clicking on it, it says for bay window..are those the same size tubes for both splits and bay windows? So the engine in the bus is actually for a beetle? I have been searching mufflers, etc, and the only thing that has me thinking its a 1500cc is the actual layout of the muffler having the small tube on the right side as shown in the pic. Most of the 1200cc bus mufflers I have seen on various websites all have the small tube on the left side. I am not sure if that makes a difference...
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
Schwing wrote:

Thanks for the helpful link. I noticed when clicking on it, it says for bay window..are those the same size tubes for both splits and bay windows? So the engine in the bus is actually for a beetle? I have been searching mufflers, etc, and the only thing that has me thinking its a 1500cc is the actual layout of the muffler having the small tube on the right side as shown in the pic. Most of the 1200cc bus mufflers I have seen on various websites all have the small tube on the left side. I am not sure if that makes a difference...

Yeah good point, its listed under the splitty section but shows up as a bay window part. Maybe you could call and ask if they are the same or if they just sell the long tube?
Here is the link to the full part:
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2429781-Complete-Heater-Tube-Set-67-LHD-211255715.html

So the bus and bug engines are pretty much the same, so more than likely someone installed a bus muffler on your bug engine, and there is no shame in that. They literally bolt up the same way. I am pretty sure both the 1200cc and the 1500cc both exit on the left, but I could be wrong.

65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the link and help. I will have to call them to check on that. It is a relief to know that I am able to get this tube to fix the lack of heater tube present on the bus. Based on the numbers, I will go with it being a 1200cc distributor. Chances are I will change out the aftermarket distributor with another distributor that I have on a space beetle 1200cc engine. Maybe it's me being to anal, but I like the look of the original better Rolling Eyes
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice day in PA, so I pulled the engine and gas tank out of the back. After pulling the engine, my mind is now blown as to what size it is. After checking my other two 1200cc engines, the intake manifold is completely different, looking like one for a 1300cc or above. Also, the manifold preheat tubes look larger in diameter as well. I am at a complete loss as to what size it is, but would like to know so I can start ordering parts. I did not plan to split the case apart or measure pistons, as the engine spins freely, has compression, and no end play. I have included pics below of intake manifold in hopes of help...

65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had a free night, so I tackled cutting out the front floor. When cutting it, I noticed there were some rust spots that need replaced on the front nose as well. This is my first bus, first time cutting it out, etc. I think I did a decent job thus far...Critics welcome to comment please.
One question I have was in regards to the A- Pillar in the front. Each side has the same parts rusted as shown in the picture. Looking at the funky green metal, I am a bit confused as to which A-pillar section repair piece I need. Anyone able to help, that would be great!

Edit: Anyway admin could change the thread title to 65' Velvet Green Walk Through Build

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: