Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is our hobby dying?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. When some of you are saying "our hobby is dying", what exactly do you mean? Are you saying people are losing interest in Beetles, or are you just saying that Beetles as a DD are fading away?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that so many of the ACVW shops have disappeared and continue to close down, it's dying. Older guys liquidating parts shops and yards has to be an indication that not enough people are buying anymore. Or that the good stuff's been picked through.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RosemaryT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
One more comment - a buddy of mine taught a local tech school. He constantly lamented that the kids have NO clue how to do mechanical things at all. Gonna say it and gonna get blasted BUT who taught all of us how to do stuff or at least that you can build and fix things? Usually your Dad or someone similar in your life (not always, but most of the time).

My father also abandoned the family and I learned NOTHING from him.

When I was 14, I landed in a local vocational school, and took two years of auto tech, and if I was queen of the world (and it shouldn't be long now), I'd require that every teenager in America take two years of auto tech.

Learning about basic mechanical principles helps a person really understand how everything works, from jet engines to electric dryers.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetles as DDs are all but dead, with the exception of some southwestern states. More then that though, businesses that support them are dying. There are some young people out there just discovering them, yet there are more people getting out of them. People are passing along bad knowledge. Yesterday for example, a guy was asking if the mini spare for his 74 Super had any value. The seller had told him it was a rare option. This guy asking was just given crap info by a seller. He didn't know any better.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more "last comment" from me Laughing - How many of us turn up our noses at the tatted "kids" with slammed and ratted GTIs and the like at shows....

Initially I was put off some when I first started hitting VW shows - but then I opened my eyes. Yeah - they talk a different language, different look and some of the stuff I really don't care for, BUT these folks are wrenching, tweaking, making the cars their own and are definately not in the mainstream with their cars. Sound a little familiar?

I have been making a point to check out the other cars - talking to the owners and ya know what? I start seeing them stop by my cars and chatting with me about my stuff. Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591
I do the same at shows..Yea the nose rings are not my cup of tea. I do attempt to talk to them and let them know they are the future and to keep these cars on the road. Compliment them on the work accomplishments.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
andk5591
I do the same at shows..Yea the nose rings are not my cup of tea.........

Oh, here we go again.
My wife happens to like my nose ring. (it makes it easier to lead me around)
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our hobby is not dying necessarily, but it is changing. there are still parts manufacturers on the cutting edge developing and manufacturing quality stuff. stuff that wasn't available a few years ago. just take a look at what smaller operations like awesome powder coating has done all the way to large outfits like klassicfab and what they have done for buses. others on the bleeding edge are the likes of KCW and airkewld among others - i may not like everything they do, but they are innovators in the aircooled scene and i can respect that. even general parts houses, wolfsburg west, west coast metric and cip1 and others strive to produce and/or provide quality replacement parts and quality customer service. there is even a TMI representative who is actively involved here on the samba trying to make their interior parts more perfect for us. then there is also the enthusiast driven market to preserve and/or return to stock (or mostly stock) all years and models of our beloved VW's.

I do recognize that the day of the independent bug repair and general service shops are going the way of the do-do bird, but in their place are well funded and well supported operations that i feel will keep aircooled vw's alive thru the middle of this century and beyond.

the lack of daily drivers is a personal choice that each owner makes. weather it be investment, reliability, safety, comfort, speed or what-have-you, there is really nothing stopping anyone from daily driving their air-cooled vw's beyond their own personal choice, and that is each individuals choice to make.

the way i look at it these days cars that would have been scrapped 5-15 years ago are being saved each and every day. more manufacturers are upping their game and providing us with decent to excellent parts - at a cost for sure. the days of keeping these cars running on the road for cheap are just about gone.

i daily my (operable) VW's and own no other cars but air cooled vw's, and for right now i wouldn't have it any other way.

my 64 bus and 67 bug Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DD, come hell or high water...but not icy roads because of the other idiots likely to slide into me and total him.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in I guess. As part of the new generation of VW Hobbyists, I completely agree that most of my generation has embraced the throw it away and get a new one mentality, but some of us actually were raised to fix and repair what we have, rather than having to have something new. As a child , my father wasnt around much, but my grandparents were weekly parts of my life. Both of my grandfathers are carpenters by either hobby or trade, and i spent many hours learning to use tools as an infant. It also helped that I grew up on a farm and learned to fix our own stuff, rather than an expensive professional come out and work on it. Pretty much everything on our place was self done, other than roofing our house. We built, did the plumbing, did the interior, etc.. I think it boils down to how we are raised. My younger brother, on the other hand, had a disability as a child and was babied from all of the things that i either learned or self taught, and has no common sense, critical thinking skills, knowledge of tools, and has the throw it away attitude. The older generations in this hobby may cringe at the stupid stuff that my generation does, but those of us in the current generation who dont represent the stereotype get 500 times more ticked at the young dumbasses running around not doing things right. I hope the hobby lives, but not with the uninformed continuing to fuck good rides up.

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Wunderbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my first driving lesson was in a 58 ragtop beetle way back in 1966 and ever since that day, I have only owned 10 vehicles, all Volkswagens and I'm currently restoring my 1972 that I bought in 1972. Currently driving a 96 Passat wagon, and two '04 New Beetles. Through the years I have seen the enthusiasm for our hobby, actually a sickness for most of us, ebb and flow.
One indisputable fact, in my minds eye, is that no matter who you know, where you go, or what you know, there is no other vehicle on the planet that has garnered more attention or has had a more profound effect on the automotive stage than our beloved aircooled VW's.
Sure, the AC shops have slowly disappeared, you don't see many AC dubs on the road any more, hell, VW even stopped making them back in 2003.
BUT, go to any VW car show or meet and I would be surprised if anyone there would say that our hobby is dead. Some shows have even gotten bigger and better as time has passed and the old AC VW's have gotten rarer to find.
It's the support of everyone here on the Samba and other enthusiast sites that keep the existing parts suppliers, manufacturers and specialty shops in business so we can enjoy maintaining, and driving our little gems for years past and years to come.
So, I don't think the hobby is dying. Quite the opposite. I believe it is evolving and changing with the times. Hopefully, those that want to see it carry on will continue to support the vendors and suppliers we rely on to keep our cars and busses on the road.
I mean really, does it get any better than cruising down the road in your aircooled VW and watching heads turn, getting thumbs up from strangers, and getting asked tons of questions about your ride or even listening to a story about someone who had a VW bug or bus and misses having one now?
I think not.
Let's keep the hobby alive and kicking. I'll sure give it my best effort!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the last hour some new vendor has dragged up every old post concerning Super Beetle front firewall panels to let everyone know they are making them, so that's saying something!
Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Well, in the last hour some new vendor has dragged up every old post concerning Super Beetle front firewall panels to let everyone know they are making them, so that's saying something!
Laughing

Unless you go to the site and actually try and find them!?

As far as this thread goes, our hobby, which is based on a time period car, is bound to taper off, the farther away you get from that time period, and into newer generations that haven't been exposed to the wonders that are AC VW's!

The Generation X and Millennial Generations were born into the disposable age, so good or bad, it's no wonder they have that mind set. I'm sure if I would have been born into the video game age, that I would have gotten hooked by it too. Most of the AC VW enthusiasts of the past 40 years came from parents or Grandparents that experienced the Great Depression or World War Two. So we were raised in an age of scarcity, where we had to make the most with the least. The more things you knew how to do, the better chance you could get a job. It's rare to find many young people from the newer generations now that are willing to put in the time to really learn a craft, if it isn't for a paycheck. And coming online in the instant gratification age hasn't helped either.

I have two boys 17 and 11, and I've tried to get them interested in wrenching on the bug, but the learning curve is too steep for them. They want results now. They think in sound bites. When you can destroy an entire planet of zombies in under an hour, taking several hours to fix an engine or fab-up a part just can't compete! But, my 17 year old is learning to drive now and is starting to ask questions, so I'd imagine I have a window starting to open where he's starting to develop a vested interested in fixing his own car.

Since I don't think new AC enthusiasts are coming into the hobby as fast as old timers are leaving, I'd say its slowing down anyway, but it will always be around.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
The Generation X and Millennial Generations were born into the disposable age...the video game age...the instant gratification age...

I have two boys 17 and 11, and I've tried to get them interested in wrenching on the bug, but the learning curve is too steep for them. They want results now. They think in sound bites. When you can destroy an entire planet of zombies in under an hour, taking several hours to fix an engine or fab-up a part just can't compete! But, my 17 year old is learning to drive now and is starting to ask questions, so I'd imagine I have a window starting to open where he's starting to develop a vested interested in fixing his own car.

Sounds familiar!! 'cept mine are 15 & 19. They "know it all" but couldn't check the oil in either the Bug or the Modern Marvel that they share (2007 Ford Focus hatchback - woohoo!!) if I told them where the dipstick was.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Laughing

That's funny. Indeed, he scraped up every dead thread for self promotion, but the excess makes him appear disconnected to the active participants here. I wonder what the Steering Box Scrapers has to say about another 'SBS' in town? Looks like another piece of homework in getting to know your customers left undone to me.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all true, I suppose teens and 20 something year olds that don't fall into the stereotypes of this generation are few. I know people my age that know nothing of cars, they probably couldn't change a tire - I imagine if they did get a Vw that it wouldn't last long. But there are others that I'm sure will catch the bug and keep the hobby going - I know that I will eventually acquire some more. So Hopefully it lives on. I go for the old stuff and try to fix and repair what I can-

I don't think the year of the car would affect someone's want so long as it has the looks they desire my car at 17-18 was the 1947 chevy Wink
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only natural progression that the hobby will slow down since they quit making these cars 36 years ago. I think what also is hurting the hobby is the attitude some have for the later model Beetles, especially the Super Beetles. If you want to keep the hobby going you will have to learn to except the Supers as part of the "family" since Supers seem to be the most available and affordable for any newcomer who doesn't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to Beetles. If that newcomer comes on here and sees nothing but negative comments about Supers, it will drive him off. I understand that some prefer the pre 67 models as I do myself, but with someone on a limited budget and they come across an affordable and solid Super, encourage them and welcome them to the family. Don't turn your nose up at them and tell them they have an inferior Beetle. They don't make Supers anymore either ya know, and unless you are an avid VW enthusiast, chances are you don't know the difference between a Super and a Standard.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
It's only natural progression that the hobby will slow down since they quit making these cars 36 years ago. I think what also is hurting the hobby is the attitude some have for the later model Beetles, especially the Super Beetles. If you want to keep the hobby going you will have to learn to except the Supers as part of the "family" since Supers seem to be the most available and affordable for any newcomer who doesn't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to Beetles. If that newcomer comes on here and sees nothing but negative comments about Supers, it will drive him off. I understand that some prefer the pre 67 models as I do myself, but with someone on a limited budget and they come across an affordable and solid Super, encourage them and welcome them to the family. Don't turn your nose up at them and tell them they have an inferior Beetle. They don't make Supers anymore either ya know, and unless you are an avid VW enthusiast, chances are you don't know the difference between a Super and a Standard.

The Supers are the ones with the big Ghia motor, aren't they? Confused
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

The Supers are the ones with the big Ghia motor, aren't they? Confused

No, they have the 454 with a 6 pack in them. Shocked
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Laughing

Unless you go to the site and actually try and find them!?

As far as this thread goes, our hobby, which is based on a time period car, is bound to taper off, the farther away you get from that time period, and into newer generations that haven't been exposed to the wonders that are AC VW's!

The Generation X and Millennial Generations were born into the disposable age, so good or bad, it's no wonder they have that mind set. I'm sure if I would have been born into the video game age, that I would have gotten hooked by it too. Most of the AC VW enthusiasts of the past 40 years came from parents or Grandparents that experienced the Great Depression or World War Two. So we were raised in an age of scarcity, where we had to make the most with the least. The more things you knew how to do, the better chance you could get a job. It's rare to find many young people from the newer generations now that are willing to put in the time to really learn a craft, if it isn't for a paycheck. And coming online in the instant gratification age hasn't helped either.

Since I don't think new AC enthusiasts are coming into the hobby as fast as old timers are leaving, I'd say its slowing down anyway, but it will always be around.

While you're right, what's strange is that the Beetle's air cooled Porsche cousins are skyrocketing in value and popularity.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: