Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West window rubber, quality control issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg West window rubber, quality control issue Reply with quote

First and foremost this is not a RANT or Bitch post, just wanted to let people know of the issues that might occur because of a lack of inspecting parts prior to installation. I use WW for 90 percent of the parts for my car but was extremely disappointed with their rubber. Back story...my wife bought me a set of window rubber as well as some other parts from WW for Christmas. I took a WW headliner and the window rubber to my upholsterer and he said he outsources window installations because of the trim. No problem, right? Well, the installer did his job by installing the windows but one look at them and he should have notified me prior to putting the in. The headliner came out great, the window rubber splices were VERY visible and one of the metal trims was not even polished. Now, I'm out the money for the installation and am on the hunt for better window rubber. In WW defense, they did offer a full refund or exchange but won't compensate for any labor lost. They were quick to reply to my email. I'll still use them for other parts but Once again, not a rant but just because a part is purchased from a reputable company, doesn't mean that it cannot have defects.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would be more pissed at the window installer than at WW. If he saw that there was an issue with the rubber, he should have stopped with the installation, and called you right away, in my opinion. I would ask the installer if he would split the cost with you to remove and replace the rubber with a replacement one from WW, since he, im sure saw the issue with the rubber ahead of time, and installed the glass anyway.
I have only had one issue with WW, and it concerned the fit of a replacement vinyl ragtop that I bought from them. Called them, and they took care of me with no issues at all.
With rubber, you are bound to have some mold issues from time to time. Im not sure what WW's QC program is, but things do get missed from time to time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a 66 fuse block from the either .
66 fuse blocks Should have 2 terminals on the back of the first fuse .

I read of someone getting this wrong fuseblock and ASSUMED it would be corrected a year later when I bought mine ........ NOPE ....

And when I took the time to call ; on the " you pay for it " line . I got an argument even referring to this original photo .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchase most of my parts from WW..... But window rubber comes from west coast metric.

My turn signal seals came from WW, they suck. Whenever I wash the car, the water that comes into contact with the seal rubber turns black and gets on anything that touches it.... Wash mit, chamois,etc.

I still like WW the best, just a few of the products leave a little to be desired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the window installer was the supplier of the window rubber, and installed this defective material without your approval, I would say he owes you the cost of labor and rubber. Since you supplied the rubber, he owes you nothing, Sorry, but this likely the way a court would find it if it went to court.

However it would have been nice if he had called to tell you, " Hey did you know these rubbers have cosmetic defects, what you want me to do?" Wink

The seller owes you new rubber, they grossly failed quality control.

it would be nice if seller and installer and you helped cover cost of labor, as all three parties blew it, however ultimately the court would probably say only the seller owes you a rubber refund, the installer nothing, cause he was given the rubber buy you and may have assumed you knew about the defects, maybe saving some money on blemished discount rubber.

maybe a nice letter to the seller explaining, and a nice chat with the installer, I bet both installer and seller want a happy customer if they can help it. maybe they can help out. But they don't really owe you for labor in a legal sense.

DISCLAIMER..... I only play a lawyer on the internet, I am not a real lawyer, only an actor.

Bluebus86 esq. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually Wolfsburg West, unless they carry WCM rubber. Like I said in my earlier post, they did agree to exchange or refund the rubber. I too am irked at the installer but ultimately it falls on me for not inspecting the items. I'm more pissed at myself but this post was meant to be a reminder to inspect all parts, no matter which company they come from. I'm looking at VEWIB rubber now from Airhead Parts, I've heard these are German and are made from the same original factory molds. I'm not sure if I want to use the same installer, if anything, it's a not too costly reminder.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Bluebus86, the rubber came from WW, not WCM.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
^^^^ Bluebus86, the rubber came from WW, not WCM.

I know now, I got problems with my Double U's you know. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to blame the installer if he didn't supply the parts, especially since he was a sub the upholstery guy.

Thanks for the heads up though
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show if you supply any installer with the parts, inspect them closely right out of the box to make sure they meet your standards/expectations, and return them right there on the spot if not.
Some shops won't even use your parts to avoid this very issue.

I do feel your pain though, bought WW's complete door kits for a '66, but skimped out and got the cheaper Brazilian alternatives so can't bitch too much. Figured this was not the ultimate or last time I would replace them on the current car, so got them just for practice and as a short term freshen up of the seals.

Pro's:
-Door seals are not too bad, in fact nothing at all to remark about, so those work well in fit and durability.
-The Door jamb switch and check rod seals match the shape of originals well and are made from a nice, soft rubber (as opposed to WCM's which seem to me to be mis-shaped, too large and made from harder rubber).

Con's:
-Vent window rubber on right has a thin, wrinkled front edge.
-Outer scrappers are too long and overlap the division bar.
-Outer bright trim doesn't match the original in finish, profile or heft.
-Window felts are oversized in all dimensions, both the big long ones you bend and little ones for the division bars, so what that does is make them not fit into the clips and channels without force and distortion, which in turn makes your windows hard to roll up and down.
-Never could make their outer door handle seals work at all, they were so stiff and oversize couldn't get the handle to fit back on, ended up re-using the old ones.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We read on a post here that VEWIB rubber is the way to go and CIP1 carries it. Like the poster, we bought 90% of our parts from WW and were very happy. On the few parts that were substandard they replaced free of charge right away.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these posts should be in the Wolfsburg West or other company feedback threads.

Please keep that in mind if you are posting further about a specific company.

I understand it's fair as a general warning though for products from any company.
Inspect what you get when you get it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Everett. My point with starting this post was to be aware and to inspect products carefully not about what is correct or incorrect with their products. Like I posted, they've been real great about the refund or exchange process and I will continue to buy parts from them with no hesitation.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Don't buy a 66 fuse block from the either .
66 fuse blocks Should have 2 terminals on the back of the first fuse .

I read of someone getting this wrong fuseblock and ASSUMED it would be corrected a year later when I bought mine ........ NOPE ....

And when I took the time to call ; on the " you pay for it " line . I got an argument even referring to this original photo .

If you have an old broken fuse box with the tab you want, it is not that hard to switch out the tabs between the two.
Ryan Krieger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed new window rubber on my rear quarter, West Coast Metric, and the quality is top notch. The job was a pain but we got'r done.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my window rubber also came from WCM. I have to say, the install was very easy. Used weed wacker line and a little bit of soapy water. 'twas a one-man job. With that said, how about going for the full refund, pick up the rubber from WCM or try WW again with a full inspection, and then tackle the job yourself? I don't think that's an unreasonable suggestion.

The vent wing rubber was another story, however. Some of the moments I wish to never re-live.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already decided that I will purchasing the German window rubber kit and door seal kit fom Cip1 for my project. They also sell a cheaper Brazilian made option, but why bother?
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and purchased the german molded rubber and trim from cip1. I'll remove the WW rubber and take it back for a refund. They offered free shipping but I went ahead and paid for the faster shipping. Believe me, I'll inspect it with a magnifying glass when I get it.
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
I went ahead and purchased the german molded rubber and trim from cip1. I'll remove the WW rubber and take it back for a refund. They offered free shipping but I went ahead and paid for the faster shipping. Believe me, I'll inspect it with a magnifying glass when I get it.

You will not be sorry by this decision if the seals you get from CIP1 are the same Vewib brand I got about 4-5 months ago. Got the trim there as well. We chickened out and let a local shop do the window/trim install and we are very happy we did that was well. Here are a few shots of the seams

AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that we got all the other rubber (rear pop-outs, door seals, grommets, etc..) from WW and the fit and finish were stellar. We ordered the German stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: