Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting to Super Beetle Dash?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PressY4Pie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Mounting to Super Beetle Dash? Reply with quote

so like many of you im sure my dash is cracked to crap. i want to mount a phone stand to the dash in the corner of my speedometer circled in red:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but there is no real way of putting a screw through the dash without it just smashin it up. has anyone been able to mount to a crackled ol' dash board?
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

industrial strength velcro?
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try adhesive mounts that stick to it. An adhesive mount will have more contact area. A screw will pull out too easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Window mount would be easiest and least-destructive.
I really like my iOttie mount, I've got the arm all the way condensed on my Standard, it extends a fair amount so you could probably put it fairly close to where you've marked.
The sticky foot is impressively strong, like annoying to switch between cars strong -- it's actually designed to stick to a dash, but won't work on that pad.
(Amazon link)

Edit - If the area under the pad in that corner isn't cracked you can mount the iOttie (or similar) to the dash. Just notch the mat to fit around the base.
Kinda thinking that gluing, velcroing, etc to the top of that dash pad isn't going to work all that well -- the mount just wont be stable.
PressY4Pie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. That looks much easier, and not as bad as I thought. Maybe I'll try a window mount
bobbydeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking stuff other than a rear view mirror on your windshield is illegal in CA. no exceptions.So if you are ok with giving law enforcement a reason(no matter how lame you think it is) to pull you over...check out a thing called the plug and chug it replaces your ashtray with a twin cup holder and a cellphone holder.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned....
btw, that's incorrect that its totally banned in Cali, they just require it in a "5 inch area in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver side, or a 7 inch area in the lower corner of the passenger side"
(source), and apparently the law is still evolving - (link)

Seems a rather silly law, glad it doesn't apply in NC

So the way I have mine mounted would be illegal, but you could put it on either side.
Or just dash-mount it, should have a 3" diameter section of dash under that mat that's in decent shape, given you don't mind notching the mat.

Then again... I've driven through VA, SC, GA and other states where the ban is in place and there's been window mount GPS units on every third car.
So /shrug.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

When are you gonna get some knobs on that radio? local junkyards etc don't have a few you could try to fit? Makes me think I'm lucky my Kenwood of the same vintage has the knobs...
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:

When are you gonna get some knobs on that radio? local junkyards etc don't have a few you could try to fit? Makes me think I'm lucky my Kenwood of the same vintage has the knobs...

Hah. Eventually!
The local scrapyards are actually very picked over, have to get lucky to find anything worth while. Someone had started to pull that radio (probably why it's missing the knobs), but didn't want to take the time to get it out (old work van, very tight fit).
It's also low on the priority list, as it's functional as is.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the old Alpine I had in my '72 standard oh...30 years ago. Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a windshield mount, but I use a tablet in the Bug, not my phone.

bobbydeon wrote:
Sticking stuff other than a rear view mirror on your windshield is illegal in CA. no exceptions.So if you are ok with giving law enforcement a reason(no matter how lame you think it is) to pull you over...check out a thing called the plug and chug it replaces your ashtray with a twin cup holder and a cellphone holder.

While technically true, I have not had a single problem with law enforcement. I don't have a front plate either, no troubles. The mirror dice are also illegal; no problem.

In fact, most police I buzz by just smile. Others don't look twice. That's the kind of stuff you get pulled over for if you're driving like an asshole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: