Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the most bone-headed thing you've done in your van?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear oil was leaking out of the pan thanks to a crappy, goopy sealant job by the shop who did the rebuild while in owner #3's possession. Decided to replace the goop with an OEM gasket and put new oil in; my first major repair job to my new-to-me van. Long story short: As careful as I was, I took a gear oil bath anyway and cursed Volkswagen for not putting a drain plug in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Buying it.

Ok - you win. But I'll go on.

I have driven with the pop-top up...twice.
The 2nd time I managed to take down the power line to my friends garage. Luckily no real damage to the van or the power line.

I've thought of making a tag that hangs on the latch that says something like "Pop-Top is up you dummy!" . When you put the up, then you move it to the steering wheel so one cannot drive off stupidly into the sunset with a lot of wind noise.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't driven with my top up (yet!) but I have driven off twice with my rocket box open. Both times, people let me know pretty quickly so no yard sale.
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Had a 69 econoline van. Fuel issues. Pulled engine cover stuck old mcdonalds cup onto aircleaner screw sticking out of carb. Poked a couple small holes in the bottom (jets ha ha )and proceeded to drive it home keeping the cup topped off with gas! Shocked Think i was 18 or 19.

Ha! That brings back memories ...
Pop (grandfather) had a econoline camper too. One time we were headed home from a camp week and had some sort of issue - fuel pump? don't recall.
Pop pulled the engine cover, pulled the air cleaner, and gave me a coke can full of gas.
"pour a little in at a time" Shocked

I was at least 8 or 9.

"Pour some more in!"
The roar of the big V right in my face, while "dumping" gas down the throat was something I'll never forget.
It was a long ride home! Great learning experience.

Pop was good for those.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
[ "Pop-Top is up you dummy!" . When you put the up, then you move it to the steering wheel so one cannot drive off stupidly into the sunset with a lot of wind noise.

This is what I do. Google "Voile Strap". I wrap one around the pop-top strut mechanism as a redundant safety in case the latch ever fails. When I remove the strap to pop the top I put the strap on the steering wheel.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
[ "Pop-Top is up you dummy!" . When you put the up, then you move it to the steering wheel so one cannot drive off stupidly into the sunset with a lot of wind noise.

This is what I do. Google "Voile Strap". I wrap one around the pop-top strut mechanism as a redundant safety in case the latch ever fails. When I remove the strap to pop the top I put the strap on the steering wheel.

Funny ~ I use that strap too, but I've never put it on the steering wheel. Thanks for the idea! One of the dogs will surely make off with it though...
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Buying it.

Selling a few too many nice Syncros Crying or Very sad
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our very first camping trip in the van I got to a campsite, put the van in park and turned off the engine and set the parking brake. While I got out to survey the campsite I left my 3 year old son in the van. He was up by the front seats and started fiddling around with the shifter. Of course he took it out of park and this is when I discovered that the parking brake did not work. It started rolling slowly toward a significant hill headed for a bunch of trees (with my son still in there.) I had to run alongside, open the door, jump in and slam on the brakes! My heart has never beat that fast before or after and it scared the hell out of my son. Luckily he was traumatized so he will never touch the shifter again!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

I've thought of making a tag that hangs on the latch that says something like "Pop-Top is up you dummy!" . When you put the up, then you move it to the steering wheel so one cannot drive off stupidly into the sunset with a lot of wind noise.

Find yourself one of these or make one and use it.

jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had engine work done at a shop without getting a full quote up front.... Shocked

how much brake cleaner did they use!?

Sadly, I had done the work myself already and thought I screwed it up some how. Turns out the place where I had the head rebuilt at just failed to do it properly. Or at least that is what i was told by the shop after I gave up my credit card.

In the words of the Magliozzi brothers, "Replace. Do not rebuild."
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Find yourself one of these or make one and use it.

Maybe someone can sell the opposite of the GPWS on airplanes..instead of

"Pull up"

it can say

"Pull Down"
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to pass a slow semi on I-90 before road construction cut the freeway down to one lane. I drafted the semi and then made my move. Hopefully I would have enough momentum to get it done. Nope. The second I moved over into the other lane, that's when the the line of safety cones started. I nailed one at 65. It cracked the lower grill, went under the van, blew out one of the fiberglass side panels and left it's mark on the right rear tire. I checked the rear view mirror and saw the cone sliding upright towards the shoulder and the fiberglass panel about 10 feet in the air going into the bushes. It must have ricocheted off a guard rail. Nobody was behind me, so no witnesses.

Last edited by RainierSyncro on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
back then, long ago in the '70, I had a 1974 bus... after a few months of ownership the bus had some clanking noises... yeah I didn't know back then but now I know it was CV joints...

anyway I bring it to a mechanic.. he recommends a new engine... and yes... I did have a new engine... because of CV joint noises...

how stupid was this? aargh I was young, restless and stupid...

Very Happy

Young, but apparently not broke? Very Happy
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryloucb wrote:
On our very first camping trip in the van I got to a campsite, put the van in park and turned off the engine and set the parking brake. While I got out to survey the campsite I left my 3 year old son in the van. He was up by the front seats and started fiddling around with the shifter. Of course he took it out of park and this is when I discovered that the parking brake did not work. It started rolling slowly toward a significant hill headed for a bunch of trees (with my son still in there.) I had to run alongside, open the door, jump in and slam on the brakes! My heart has never beat that fast before or after and it scared the hell out of my son. Luckily he was traumatized so he will never touch the shifter again!

Trauma is the best teacher.....
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like wecm31 - I had the top popped on The Silver Slug to take some pictures for insurance purposes. I took my pictures, got distracted by a phone call - and promptly tried to park the Silver Slug in the carport with the top up.

Unfortunately - I ripped the canvas, crunched the fiberglass and bent the raise bar a tad (I was evidently in a hurry). My dogs and neighbors heard the full extent of my expletive vocabulary that afternoon...prefaced by:

"YOU @#$%&* DUMMY!!!"

Kirk at NorthWesty installed a used top (from another Samba member) and a new 3 window canvas in less than a week - for a very reasonable cost (less my comprehensive insurance deductible).

The new owner benefitted from my stupidity...gotta get me one of those "Remove Before Flight" streamers!

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once turned the ignition over with the key.. with a 24" breaker bar and socket still ON the main pulley bolt.

Shocked

Lessons learned:

A starter motor is very strong..
and
The dipstick tube is not as robust as one might think

Laughing

Broke that bad-boy pulley nut loose in the process, too!
Laughing Embarassed Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
surfer d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked the fuel tank in Anza Borrego Desert....Couple years ago was in the Carrizo Badlands heading back to the mud caves. Usually I go camping with just the dog and I, this trip had my brother a friend and lots of gear. I usually have a good eye of what rocks I can get over without problems. Not thinking about the added weight which would lower the ride height, cruising along pretty fast we came up on a rock sticking up out of the ground. I said to my buddy in the front seat "check the ground clearance", then WHAM!! A hard loud thud was heard from underneath, thought the rock hit the spare tire cover, didn't think much of it. As we got back into the mud caves at lower speeds started to smell gas. Parked and looked under the van, she was peeing a nice stream of fuel. We were about 12 miles from the main road on a weekday. Whole was about the size of my pinky nail. I put my finger on it to stop the leak, thought for a moment. Needed something to plug the hole, had a pack of Orbits gum in the glove box. we all started chomping on the gum. I worked it into a ball, softly pushed it into the hole than smoothed it out. the leak stopped. We drove all the way back to San Diego with the orbits gum only letting the smallest of drips out....Orbits gum, keep a pack in the van just in case.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on my back semi under the bus I literally ran over my stomach with the rear wheel of my '71 bus. Please disconnect the battery when working on the hot lead to the starter solenoid with the bus in gear and a crappy ebrake. It was a good thing that I was skinny and in shape back then (1986). I had a few seconds to watch it crawl across my midsection and think that this was going to be a sucky way to die... Shocked Shocked Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the story: a few years ago, the wife let daughter drive the van for the first time in a long time "for practice"... Cool
She apparently tried starting in 3rd...without me around to act as "spotter", she kept at it for a few minutes (I'm told)... Evil or Very Mad

Without success & smelling hot clutch, daughter gave up & the wife drove the van home "like normal"... ~10 miles.

I get out to the garage the next day & I see there's a new problem - clutch won't go to the floor... Rolling Eyes
I tried starting the van anyway (in gear, clutch depressed, foot on brakes) & was greeted with a resounding
SCREECH as the WHEELS SPUN OUT, VAN BUCKED, BRAKES CAUGHT, ENGINE STALLED...

...then all was again silent.

WHOA.

Thankfully, the back of the garage & the front of the van were still as they had been. Only moved less than a foot... Embarassed
That verified that the clutch was fragged and I would soon start on my first ever clutch job... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I was VERY glad I had gone through the complete brake system the previous spring...disaster averted... Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, I just remembered the stupidest decision I have ever made (so far) in vanagonland.
Back in my aircooled days, I was a misinformed young man who believed that all h20 vanagons were doomed to ultimate failure and air cooled vws were the only vws that had any qualifications. I was driving an aircooled '80. After a couple years, the transmission reached its end and starting popping out of gear to the point where it wouldn't drive anymore. I decided that, what the hell, my first engine build was also in order while I was replacing the transmission. That went quite well and I was proud of myself for the full bottom to top rebuild but I was having trouble finding another transmission that I could afford when a guy at a shop made me a nice offer. A red rust free '85 vanagon tintop with a blown engine and a good transmission for 200 dollars. I had it towed home 60 miles for 90 dollars. I then pulled the transmission and had a guy back home help me mate it to the A/C vanagon which was a bit tough whith the shift rod and nose cone differences but it worked out. I then took the red, rust free 200 dollar 85 vanagon and GAVE IT AWAY. Mad I coulda bought a damned wbx and put it in that 85 van or had it rebuilt and probably would still be driving it today.
So then guess what happens? While my great rebuilt type 4 engine was still in the break in process, I had my then girlfriend turn the key while I was in back and she stepped on the gas and the throttle return spring broke, the pedal hit the floor and that was all she wrote.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: