Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Knewb Welder - I Can't See!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Knewb Welder - I Can't See! Reply with quote

Just grabbed a flux core welder and I just did my first welds last night on some scrap. Literally the first time I have EVER looked at a weld in process through a mask. Had no idea what to expect and it was fun, but.....

I can barely see anything. I have an auto darkening helmet and even at 9 I can't see the puddle to get a sense of what I am doing. I was able to weld various joints, but they look like garbage. Of course after 1 hr of experience anyone's beads will look bad, but I think they would look better if I could see.

Any thoughts, tips, etc? Do I just need a super bright work area? I was in my garage with a couple overhead shop lights.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to adjust the dimmer back a few spots?
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Did you try to adjust the dimmer back a few spots?

My mask is at 9....isn't that the lowest w/ 13 being the darkest?

MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid of a spark. Get closer and you will see the puddle. You cant weld straightarmed Very Happy
You could try cheater lenses in the helmet, rest your torch with your other hand and relax

Get on Youtube and watch some videos if you cant find someone to show you.
Good luck, but don't weld anything structural Laughing
mac2881994
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also get a light for the area. I use a small drop light when welding and it makes a world of difference.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: What do you mean you can't see the puddle? Why not?

Second: Welding with flux core results in a puddle of molten flux, which obscures seeing the actual puddle of molten steel. It osbcures seeing what is actually going on with the weld, and can be confusing as it overlaps and is larger than the steel puddle. It can also fool you into thinking you are filling in the gap completely, when it is just flux flowing into the area. Tilt the nozzle slightly towards the direction of travel. The old saying is "Drag with slag". As you can't see the actual molten steel, it will take some practice to develop the right technique. You may have to move slower, move more consistently. It will take some trial and error to get the right thing going on without directly seeing the molten steel puddle, or having the slag puddle overtake the whole process. There should be a very consistent sizzle with flux core welding. The sound will give you a clue as to when things are going wrong. It shouldn't be snap, crackle and pop, but a consistent arc.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
First: What do you mean you can't see the puddle? .

All I am seeing is the white flash and nothing around or behind. I'm going to get closer, use a bright light, and practice practice practice. Common sense stuff.

Thanks all

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really good basic book....one of the HP series books is available at home depot. $12 and worth every penny.

As someone else noted.....a bright spot lamp is very useful. You need a 100 watt bulb close by....about 12" away. Angle it so you cannot see the bulb in your vision....but from the side either your right or left. Play it on the weld site.

The very bright light will wash out some of the arc light allowing you to see more.

The book I bought also explains a lot about proper weld position and movement of the gun for different types of welds. A relaxed seated position with the ability to rest your arm to move smoothly helps.
Also....as others have noted....dont be afraid of the arc (but respect it). Get a do-rag for your head, make sure you have long non-synthetic sleeves on an buy a pair or mid-arm length leather welding gauntlets.....anywhere from $8-20.

When you are properly prepared.....get in close with your face shield.....about 6-8 from where you are welding....and look at the area from the side opposite that you are moving the gun....angled back a bit. In this way the gun tip shields the arc from vision a bit but you can see the puddle. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doing this to my auto-darkening helmet to see what I was welding. Whatever I look at to weld gets lit up by the LEDs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to put that shield of cardboard around the auto-darkening lense to keep it from false triggering from the LED lights I was using above it to light up my work. Also try using different settings on the adjustment knob while welding to find the best result. I also started wearing reading glasses under my helmet to see what I was welding.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the mask darken when you strike the arc? If so, are you positioned to see the puddle, or is it obscured by the nozzle?

I like good lighting so that I can see what I'm doing before I strike the arc, but I wasn't aware that it improved my vision after the arc struck?? I thought the arc itself threw off enough light at that point to see the arc, and a few inches ahead of the weld so that I stay on course.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flux core is more challenging than mig or tig. A light will only help you overcome the shade that your lens starts from which should be 4. After you start the arc the light will not aide you. I use a small light bar to see where the wire is going to hit before the lens adjusts.. With flux core the arc is bright and if your bead is small you won't be able to see the puddle unless you get your line of sight around the arc. I set my lens so there is just a small amount of glare. Experiment with having the lens too dark and no glare and so much glare that it's like looking at an over exposed photo (all glare). Angle the nozzle more so the arc is more sideways. When welding, the smallest detail you have to be able to see is the edge of the puddle or aka it's toe. Sometimes , the shape , color and texture of the metal makes it so you can only see an area that is only slightly larger than the puddle. Therefore the only part you can see is the puddle and maybe the seam just in font of the puddle .Other times you will be able to see the puddle and the whole piece of metal very well through your peripheral vision. Using bright lights after the arc is stuck does not help. When you are pulling a bead the nozzle blocks the arc from lighting up on your up coming seam. A longer stick out may help.

Strike an arc so your line of sight is not blocked and you can see the puddle and not the arc. Watch as the the puddle spreads out. When the puddle stops spreading out move your nozzle and the puddle will follow. Don't weld on a higher voltage setting than your welder manual states. The flux will not stay on top of the weld and when it cools it will be in the bead.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use flux core when I am asked to take the show on the road, and don't want to haul a bottle. It's also useful where there is wind, because air flow will blow away mig's shielding gas. Other than having portability, and allowing you to weld slightly thicker metal with the same amperage of welder, flux core isn't that desirable of a process.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
Does the mask darken when you strike the arc? If so, are you positioned to see the puddle, or is it obscured by the nozzle?

I like good lighting so that I can see what I'm doing before I strike the arc, but I wasn't aware that it improved my vision after the arc struck?? I thought the arc itself threw off enough light at that point to see the arc, and a few inches ahead of the weld so that I stay on course.

Yes, that's why it's called an auto-darkening helmet. With the LED light above the lens, I can see everything I'm going to weld and position my wire right on the work. When you pull the trigger, the lens auto-darkens and protect your eyes from the flash, unless the batteries are going in the auto-darkening unit. Ask me how I know that! Seriously, besides changing to 0.23 wire and gas, best welding investment I ever made.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Northof49 wrote:

Yes, that's why it's called an auto-darkening helmet. With the LED light above the lens, I can see everything I'm going to weld and position my wire right on the work. When you pull the trigger, the lens auto-darkens and protect your eyes from the flash, unless the batteries are going in the auto-darkening unit. Ask me how I know that! Seriously, besides changing to 0.23 wire and gas, best welding investment I ever made.

The reason I asked if it darkened was because I wasn't sure if he was describing a malfunction of the unit. Some auto darken helmets have poor sensors, are defective, or something may be casting a shadow such that the sensor does not trigger and darken. I was wondering if he was seeing it through the undarkened lens, as he describes seeing only the white flash of the arc.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:

The reason I asked if it darkened was because I wasn't sure if he was describing a malfunction of the unit.

It's working....on the highest sensitivity the overhead lights will trigger.

I'm confident most of my issue is very basic stuff already described.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkjellquist wrote:
Northof49 wrote:

The reason I asked if it darkened was because I wasn't sure if he was describing a malfunction of the unit.

It's working....on the highest sensitivity the overhead lights will trigger.

I'm confident most of my issue is very basic stuff already described.

That's why I had to put that shield around the sensor at the top. I'm surprised that they don't come with that, or at least sell it as an add on. What would be slick is if the helmet itself had LEDs on the side to shine on your work without triggering the auto-darkening sensor.

MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use core wire and removed the gas shield from the torch. It just gets in the way.

I took a piece of Teflon and turned out a tapered insulator right down to the tip. Now I can get inside a 1/2 inch space without arcing out.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:

I took a piece of Teflon and turned out a tapered insulator right down to the tip. .

Like just wrapping the tip in teflon tape? I haven't been using the shield.

RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maclead can you show us some pictures of what you're talking about?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea but careful with the teflon. Burning teflon fumes are VERY harmful, not that flux fumes are good either......

It's just a little insulator so you can take off the nozzle when not using gas, and put it on instead so you don't short the tip out touching it to the work.
This one is sold at home depot

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: