Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 66' bug Cross country trip
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajeambler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: New 66' bug Cross country trip Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and the bug world though I have learned alot in the past couple days. I drove out from PA to California with 6 friends in a 1986 rv and sold the rv in California. On the last day of the trip my girlfriend and I decided to drive back across the country to PA and long story long I bought a 66' bug that is on a 67' chassis with a 1776cc motor. I have spent the last 3 days installing pushtube seals, valve adjustment, oil change, all new tins around the engine (it didn't have any), and replacing all the heater hoses. I also installed a scat short shifter, grant wheel, cigarette lighter port, and speakers along with redoing the back since it had no back seat. I've also checked all the obvious, brakes, wheel bearings, oil change.

I'm leaving on the trip today so a little late on asking but does anyone have any advice? Also mechanical advice/assistance could prove to be very helpful along the way![/img]
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post pictures along the trip. Should be fun
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only advice, don't try to drive as fast as the rest of the yahoos...just sit back and cruise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirkpwomack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have saved you some $$ and you could have bought mine on your way thru Indiana.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for threads on "what to take on a long trip" or such words. Lots of good and varied advice depending on the car, your tolerance for breakdowns, and insecurities.
jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Remember the obvious- check your oil every couple of gas stops until you know the consumption and bugs often go better then the stop... Have a spare fan belt and enjoy!

Keep us posted.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the back roads lots easier. Enjoy the ride, what to take would be the three "C's" cash, credit card, cell phone.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read your title thought you meant "Cross Country" in a Beetle like the pioneer days or something...now that would be fun Laughing Wink

On a serious note, if you're taking US 40 to US 44 (The New "Rt 66" Cool ) or US 70 through the Saint Louis area, be sure to check here for member contacts, events and info...
http://www.gatewayvwclub.org/news.php

If the VW needs any simple work at all, you can bring it to where I live in St Charles, Mo. or if major where I work week days at a new car dealer in Maplewood, Mo.
There I can choose to work on whatever I want to and have full facility's.
Glad to be of any help if needed, so PM for phone numbers.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ajeambler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the advice and offers to help, its greatly appreciated. I've been cruising at around 60 and it seems to be pretty happy there. We made it to from San Francisco to Los Angles last night a 7 hour drive with only minor issues. Someone in the past had taped together wires from the alternator (updated from the generator) to the battery that started to give out. Luckily I caught the dash light coming on and was able to get it stopped before anything burned up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will try to take more/ better pictures of the bug later today. The motor home in the picture is the 86' I drove from Pennsylvania that I sold yesterday.
ajeambler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I'm new to the forum and this might be categorized somewhere but I am hoping to find someone that knows carbs and could check the timing on the bug in the Los Angles area. Any suggestions/ideas/shops to recommend?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know of is a retail facility. Worked with Dave years ago and knew him as a honest and hard working guy with lots of experience, and still consider him a good friend to this day.
His shop's been there since the '80's, has great reviews and he's right off US 10 in Walnut on your presumed way to US 40.
If you do talk to him, please tell him Bruce from Rollings referred you, he will get a kick out of it...
http://www.daveslittlecarshop.com/

ajeambler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question in regards to the timing. The engine has a degreed pulley installed and with the current settings the timing on the pulley is set to 28 degrees past TDC with the rotor pointing at the notch in the distributor. Does this make sense? From reading it sounds like it should be set at around 7 degrees ramping up to 28 degrees with the advance. I am in the Los Angeles and don't have access to a strobe unfortunately.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in L.A.? That covers a large area! Maybe someone can come over with a strobe.

Timing should be before TDC, not after, or maybe near TDC itself.

Maybe your distributor os clocked on the wrong drive gear tooth?

I'd check the points, and if new, set point gap to get dwell right, then recheck timing.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, in your opening statement, you said you checked everything, right? Confused Shocked

Anyway, the notch in the distributor is not what you set the timing by, it's only there to get you in the ball park and let you know the engine in on #1, so if you're looking at that to set timing and then down at the pulley that is not going to be right.

Besides that, if the engine had been timed at 28* ATDC all this time, you probably wouldn't have made it as far as you have.
In fact it probably wouldn't even start or run.

Yes you set the timing statically when the rotor is pointing near the notch for #1, but most importantly for the points to open at about 7-10 degrees before TDC #1.

shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba! I'm glad to hear about your fun and UN-eventful trip. I wish I was brave enough to take such a trip.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
ajeambler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've made it to bolder Colorado and still only relatively minor issues. I used an empi aluminum spring loaded push rod tube kit and the left side of the engine seals have remained leaky. Last night we stayed up until 2am pulled them all out and put in new seals, hopefully this round they seat a little better. The job could be easier if I wasn't on the side of the road on my aunts street in the snow. The good news is I think I have gotten the technique down a little better and the install was def cleaner with less abuse to the seals going in. The left front outer tie rod is on its way out so I am going to replace that today. Luckily my aunt in Bolder lives pretty close to a specialty VW shop called Nu Vintage so parts are available. Before I left LA I managed to borrow a strobe light to look at the timing. It appears to advance correctly from the 28 degree mark on the pulley so I am now thinking that someone just did something strange with the pulley install. Thanks everyone for the advice there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: