Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear axle inner spacer... Spacing?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Rear axle inner spacer... Spacing? Reply with quote

I'm changing the rear bearings out in the 67 and have read quite a few topics here.
I made the bearing pull and have the bearings off, but read about clips falling out in the tranny.
My axle can pul out a hair, to the point where it's thicker area is about flush with the surface of the tube. Sorry for the craptacular terms but I don't know the exact words for them.
Pushed in:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled flush/to stop

Am I safe to proceed with reinstalling everything?
How far do I tap in the bearings? Just till the stop moving in?

Sorry, and thanks!

Last edited by 2T2-Crash on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put everything back on, torqued the castle nut to 210 (the max my torque wrench can go) and cranked it another quarter turn to line up the hole for the coder pin, then jacked the opposite tire off the ground and spun the hub I just worked on a dozen times.

No problems so I guess I did it right. Laughing
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks right to me. There is a spacer, then a bearing, then a seal race. Looks like that will put you at the splines for the drum. I've got '67 axles on my buggy.

What prompted you to change the bearings? I think the only reason I've changed them is because I've pulled them.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you they are pretty forgiving, but dang son don't be pullin' out on that axle too much! Shocked

That can get you in deeeep trouble with your fulcrum plates Laughing Wink

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Looks right to me. There is a spacer, then a bearing, then a seal race. Looks like that will put you at the splines for the drum. I've got '67 axles on my buggy.

What prompted you to change the bearings? I think the only reason I've changed them is because I've pulled them.

The left rear keeps making a metal on metal screech that sounds like bearings, it started just with a left turn, then became constant. Nothing in the brake drum and housing area was rubbing... Plus the seal was leaking on the passenger side anyhow.

Hopefully I was right with my trouble shooting deduction. Shocked
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the inner spacer be recessed in the axle tube or sit flush with the bearing surface?

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the bearing on there yes it should be recessed. How much is a factor of your particular axles, tubes, side gears etc.

Keep in mind that the axle is pretty much "free floating" at the trans end where it fits with some play into the fulcrums/side gear/differential assembly.

At the outer end is the only place where the axle is positively located.
The combination of all the parts, including axle, spacers, wheel bearing, slinger washer, brake drum and finally a fully tightened castle nut make up a "hub" assembly that carries most of the loads.

So, should be nothing to worry about, once the bearing is driven fully on and seated by final compression it will pull the axle out a little to allow some needed clearance and end play at the trans end.
It's nothing that can be measured but perhaps only calculated by deduction?
Here is where knowing that the stack up of parts that makes up your "hub" assembly are all compatible and of good quality is most important.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the input. When I pulled everything off I noticed one of the washers was marred up so I am thinking my bad bearing hypothesis was correct.

I did notice on my left side an almost fibrous build up around the brake cylinder, and that one side was pushed out further than the other. Either they aren't adjusted correctly or it's going bad. Brick wall
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2T2-Crash wrote:
I did notice on my left side an almost fibrous build up around the brake cylinder, and that one side was pushed out further than the other. Either they aren't adjusted correctly or it's going bad. Brick wall

If yer talkin' about one side of the wheel cylinder is sticking out . . . That is not something a brake adjustment will take care of . . . those pistons are supposed to push in quite easily. Probably rusted w/cylinder bore.
It's easy to check your brake pedal free-play, so do that also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: