Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

Greetings All,

Long time reader and Samba follower, however here begins my first project post on the forum.

Here in Lake Wobegon Minnesota (Prairie Home Companion Country), air cooled VW resources are few and far, the winters are cold and roads are salty.

I rely on TheSamba.com for the encouragement and the confidence to take on tasks above my pay grade and experience level. "The courage to get up and do what has to be done" - as Garrison Keillor says in the Powdermilk Biscuit commercials.

I was very moved by the videos posted by the glideking and his Funky Truck project thread. Member "cdennisg," in the "What did you do for your Bus today?" sticky encouraged me to begin a project post to help share the journey, so here it begins.

When I lived in the Twin Cities 10+ years ago, I briefly was a member of the Twin City Volkswagen Club. Back then I drove a MarinoGelb (Chrome Yellow) 1976 westy. When the motor blew on that I drove an 86 westy – with heat! I eventually renovated the 76, it was beautiful in new paint and factory tinted windows from a 79. It went to some nice folks from Rapid City South Dakota about 7 years ago. It was neat having three generations of VW busses for a while there.

Late summer of 2014, last year, I made the commitment to dive into the renovation of the 1967 21 window bus that followed me home in 1989.

This bus is in essentially the same condition as I received it. I am just the care taker here doing my portion. It was found with a donor bus outside a small rural body shop outside Madison WI.

Long story short I was the right place and the right time. The owner failed to keep up payment on the body shop tab.

I had driven past this samba twice a year for 5 years. One time I just happen to walk in and ask what was up with the bus. Guy says, "funny you should ask, the city gave me 3 weeks to get rid of it, I was going to tow it to the crusher in a few weeks." A phone call to the owner, several hundred in cash, a call to a towing company and the busses were mine. The towing tab was $800 but all-in-all a real good deal.

A few years later I found a donor deluxe 21 window in Fish Creek WI that today I would have brought back from the dead. it was one of those lower 10 inches are missing kind of busses. Even my body/paint guy said it was beyond hope, but that was pre-Gerson, or "BG" as I like to say.

Also, that was two house moves ago. The City of Saint Paul was coming down on me for so many un-registered vehicles. I am down to one bus, this is the last of the 6 busses I have had (so far), I’m 53.

The VIN indicates this bus was manufactured in November 1966 (edited-Not August). I ordered the birth certificate last September as the M-code plate did not come from previous owner.

This is essentially in the same condition I found it in. It has spent 1 year outside since I've owned it otherwise it has been garaged. I have the exterior deluxe trim and 8 pieces of curved glass for the roof. I have a deluxe rear seat frame and the framework for the sunroof from the donor 21 window and that is about it.

Back in the day, I knew the proper time and place would present itself when we would both be ready and now, bus and I are ready. The wife and I weathered a lean period during the recession and we are finally back to taking 2 days off a week when I can plug away on this project.

Here are a handful of photos. If you look up the username of Eskimotom in the gallery a bunch more photos will show up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The project on the right is a 1946 CJ2A, on top of the bus is a yet to be finished 12 foot stitch and glue canoe I designed.

An interior view from the rear.

A general state of the underbody, I cut out the center belly pan, it was missing the front pan, it is on my list.

The pre-Gerson era patchwork floor work from previous owner, ironically, only the patches are rusty underneath.

Previous owner must not have planned on a heater tube. Areas where center seat are supposed to clamp in appear spotty with rust.

Center belly pan rather rusty and here is the mouse apartment complex found when cutting it away.

Front and rear cross members are worse for wear. I plan on having them replaced along with the jack points.

Driver's side engine compartment

Passenger's side engine compartment

Drivers side panel

I pulled the transaxle yesterday. The nosecone and a number on the unit indicate it is a beetle unit. The homemade front trans mount was a clue, it looks strong:

It is a beetle unit I am guessing based on the nosecone numbers and the number above the right axle. I have a line on a 65 transaxle and I need a nose cone.

January in Minnesota, glamor photo taken in the AM when it warmed up to 0.

So that is my introduction. The Eskimo Tom nickname I have had for years, my birth mother is from Bethel AK. I grew up a poor white boy in Wisconsin.

My big decision going forward is the floor, to replace or not. The TCVW membership guy suggested I get going on all the mechanicals, paint it and enjoy it. I like the idea of preserving/ renovating what I have, gathering and collecting what I don't have yet and save the full on restoration for the next owner. This one is beyond hunting for OG paint.

I don't have a solid opinion formed on the situation. I know I already have an expensive road ahead of me just getting all the interior bits together.

Every brake part has been ordered and about to be replaced with new bits from Wolfsburg West. The current plan is to follow the stock route to completion.

Thanks for reading!

ET

Last edited by Eskimotom on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to this thread very much. Do what you feel is right. I like the idea of getting the mechanicals sorted, cleaning it up to presentable condition, and enjoying it. Restoration can come later, either for you, or the next guy.
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome lead in. Go get em!

From another salt infested state you know the deal, not on the road until we've had 2-3 solid rains to clean everything out.

What color do you think you'll go with?
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome lead in. Go get em!

From another salt infested state you know the deal, not on the road until we've had 2-3 solid rains to clean everything out.

What color do you think you'll go with?
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and decent bus to get going. I'm on dial-up but I got to see the picture that shows the master cylinder. It is the first August '66 ('67 model year) that I have seen with the dual master. Does it have factory back-up lights?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Does it have factory back-up lights?

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom. This looks like a great project! It's great to see another split bus on the roads here. Congrats on getting started.

Coincidentally, we are in the beginning of a complete restoration of a 67 13 window deluxe for a customer. It will be getting both main frame rails from front bumper to rear bumper and the rear torsion housing replaced due to severe rust.

Our shop is a few miles away in Elk River if you need any help, feel free to PM

Last edited by nlorntson on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also nearby, in Milaca. If you want to see one after paint, and during assembly, come check mine out- will give you an idea of what you're up against.

To the other MN folks who posted from Elk River. I think I've heard about your collection. Are you south on 10, kinda by the Ford dealership? I totaled my '69 Cuda on Hwy 10 about 8 years ago, I think it was near your showroom-still hurting from that one.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbyland wrote:
Are you south on 10, kinda by the Ford dealership?

Yep, that's us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the encouragement. I was worried there were no split bus folks here in Central MN.

My wife and I lived just outside Elk River in the city of "Nowthen" for a five years. I'm going back to the old house to pick up a bay window middle seat soon. Nowthen has a great antique tractor show every year.

I corrected/edited my initial post, this is a November 66 bus, I'm guessing the dual brake MC was correct to the bus, but no backup lights. I am thinking about going with the "dealer installed option" and placing some ghia units inside the rear bumper over rider.

As for color, the plan is go stock. My eyes suggest that would be L360 Sea Blue under L680 Cumulus White and I would guess the Aero papyrus upholstery. I read somewhere that aero papyrus was not a common replacement interior, or was that old information?

Still waiting on the birth certificate. I can safely say that I have passed the age and inclination to do anything out of the ordinary with this project.

Some more photos uploaded recently

This is the previous patchwork under the front passenger seat. Repair appears sturdy, won't affect the view in the interior and may be suitable for the next owner to deal with.

Anybody know anything about the black plastic tissue holder on the tray?

The bus came with a single port 1600 which must have been added later as it is an early 70's case. That motor is apart on the bench.

I have a dual port 1600 which I plan to use until I get the single port put back together to resemble a stock motor.

I need to track down the front walk through seat frames and mount hardware, this would help make it more of a driver.

I am also tracking down all the pop out windows/frames/latches. I may wait and see what "pops" up locally before using the classifieds.

I do have a very nice brown leatherette 1/3 2/3 front bench seat for trade. I'll get a photo of that up next week, I think it came out of the 1st donor bus which was a camper.

I check the mailbox every day waiting for the birth certificate from Germany however I realistically expect to see it 3 to 4 months from now.

I have a line on a replacement transmission and a proper nosecone.

The plan now is to order the crossmembers, jack points and outriggers and possibly the floor. I would welcome any advice and or suggestions.

My budget this year may allow the metal work and parts mentioned above. A few weeks ago it sunk in that I've had this bus for 20+ years, another year or two before paint won't be the end of the world.

Again there are a bunch more (new) photos uploded in the Gallery.

Eskimo Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great bus to get started with and you have folks near you to assist as well. Make those connections, I often find swapping needed parts with local friends is easier than dealing on the samba, shipping etc.

The tissue holder looks like a newer age VW accessory, cool nonetheless.

Please keep the thread updated, ask questions and take your time and enjoy getting her back to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it done yet??

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

This bus is finally coming together! Eskimotom has been extremely patient with this long term restoration of "Patches" the bus. Thankfully it has survived a couple of moves, a trip to Virginia and back for painting, and now, over the winter I'm reassembling it and restoring parts as I go.

This first post is the restoration of the speedometer. It's a minor portion of the whole job, but it's something to me that needs to look and function as it left the factory, so a full disassembly and cleaning was needed.

Heres some before pictures:

Some during pictures:

And the finished product all reassembled, gels replaced, painted and polished, odometer set back to 0 and ready for many more miles.

There'll be more to come as I take time to write things up.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

As usual, nice work Nancy!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

I'm just curious - why reset the odometer? It seems most people do this; when my rebuilder asked, I said no, as I wanted the bus to wear it's miles proudly. Even a full resto, most people aren't gonna look at the speedo and think '29 original miles!!"

Which is not to say it's a bad thing, and everyone makes choices with their car. Just curious.

And Nancy, beautiful job as always; your posts are some of the ones I read from start to finish for inspiration and tips.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
painted and polished

Beautiful .

What part is painted and how did you do it?

What part is polished and how did you do it?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

What part is painted and how did you do it?

What part is polished and how did you do it?

Center and outer rings are bead blasted and painted.

Chrome housing ring was cleaned and polished with 000 steel wool
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
I'm just curious - why reset the odometer?

I agree with your decision. In this case if you read Toms post above where he recounts the history of this bus you'll see that the bus was fairly disassembled and in horrible condition when he got it. It hasn't been on the road for decades and I'm not sure this was it's actual speedometer (it is a December speedo and a January bus so likely it is correct)

This bus is really being built back from a shell, literally getting a second life. As such I felt it justified to set the clock to zero.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

OK, more work on the reassembly

I had a few more items to complete which were easier with the front axle missing such as the wrap for the heater pipe.

Then it was time to install the restored front beam. Of course the shift rod needed to be pushed back as it runs between the axle tubes, but I find it it was useful to mock up or fit stuff when I can to be sure all is well before the final install gets really difficult.

And I'll toss in some random photos of the bottom of this buses front end.

Still a few items to finish up under there but I'm waiting for a couple of small parts.

Then I though I'd tackle the seat stand mats and some of the cargo door weather stripping. It seems that so many of the rubber parts and seals you get these days require modification. Oh well onwards!

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eskimo Tom's Lake Wobegon 67 Samba Renovation Reply with quote

Popout windows are another job to tackle while waiting on parts. I've found these plastic tools to be invaluable while working on installing seals into slots. NEVER use a metal device if you're working around painted surfaces. You will chip or scratch the paint.

With these popout outer seals once you get the orientation correct, get the flat sides tucked in first and then do the corners.

This was one of the reproduction frames we had to use. The flaring out at the joining ends is something we noticed on both frames we used. You need to correct before paint. We apparently missed this one Sad so now we'll fix it after the fact.

It's always helpful to chase/tap the hinge holes (3.5mm) in the frames before you attempt to mount the windows. Those tiny hinge screws are hard enough to hold, position, and get started without fighting the paint in the threads.

Here's the proper orientation of the seal. Top painted is facing outside

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: