Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8 s empies
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: 8 s empies Reply with quote

Ive had a set of 8 spoke empies sitting around for a while ,and this week i got for free four pirellies tires 195 60 15 99%thread left on them , will there be a problem rubbing up front, stock height 74 sb? Tanks in advance..
type1guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eight spokes (American eagle) on my 72 SB and same size tires. My front is 2" lower, and still no rubbing problems.

Mike
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike ,ill be buying the lug studs for them tomorrow ...
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 s empies Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
Ive had a set of 8 spoke empies sitting around for a while ,and this week i got for free four pirellies tires 195 60 15 99%thread left on them , will there be a problem rubbing up front, stock height 74 sb? Tanks in advance..

195/60/15s are shorter then stock tires and will noticeably affect your rpm's. i'd use 195/65/15s in the back.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 8 s empies Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

195/60/15s are shorter then stock tires and will noticeably affect your rpm's. i'd use 195/65/15s in the back.
I only drive the car 20miles a day mostly street , will it hurt it much if i run the 60's?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 8 s empies Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
67jason wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

I only drive the car 20miles a day mostly street , will it hurt it much if i run the 60's?

it dont matter how much you drive it. with smaller tires you have to rev the motor higher to achieve the same speed as you would with a taller tire. now the 195/60/15's are only a bit smaller then stock and its not like you will create a catastrophic failure or anything, but your engine will work just a little bit harder and you will probably decrease your mpg's as well.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see , thanks for the info ..
Phil911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe slightly if you are on the highway alot but around town is usually stop n go traffic, least where I live, I can't even get into 4th so the 60's might actually improve gas mileage in this scenario, so if you average it out, in town / hwy, probably = net effect zero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine. (my opinion and I'm sticking to it) The Super Beetle front end was a bit unique in that 914 style wheels that had there added width on the inside would rub on the lower spring perch. Many of the aftermarket wheels add the additional width to the outside and I think you should be good. You can easily check this by bolting a wheel up to the front brake drum and verifying necessary clearance. Not sure if all had them but later super pitman arms had left limit and right limit stops on them to further protect your tire investment.
One thing I have found is that these aftermarket cast wheels are thicker than the original steel wheels and hence do not thread into the drum as a stock would. I have successfully used 914 steel lug bolts to compensate for this.
If you have the original late trans it has a 3.88:1 ring and pinion and the 3 forward gears will be taller geared, as opposed to the earlier 4.12:1 ring and pinion. This may support your statement of the majority of the driving being local street.
Since you're local, check out Top Line Parts in the north Anaheim area for cool super beetle stuff. And, since folks may say you'll run hot look into the Berg style dip stick temp sensor now sold thru savemybug.com.
Hope this helps, Bill
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 s empies Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
68IHscout wrote:
67jason wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

it dont matter how much you drive it. with smaller tires you have to rev the motor higher to achieve the same speed as you would with a taller tire. now the 195/60/15's are only a bit smaller then stock and its not like you will create a catastrophic failure or anything, but your engine will work just a little bit harder and you will probably decrease your mpg's as well.

As my previous post reflected, I don't think you will have a problem. Personally, I wouldn't buy the 195/60's unless it was a very good price. I have used the 195/65's on my daily driver '74 and on a couple of other later cars that are my friends/customers without any issues.
You can get some graph paper and chart out the shift points and rpm's at a given speed and compare the two. I think you will see that the difference is minor. And I will say again, I'd rather use the 195/65's.
I have a new customer who has a '65 swing axle bug with, probably, a 4.37:1 ring and pinion and he bought the car with 195/50 tires and I am educating him towards an oem style overall gearing, which takes the rear tire dia into effect.
Hope this helps, Bill.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for you're input ,as far as a good deal for the tires ,they were free maybe 2000 miles on them if that ,ill Mount them for now and see how it goes while keeping an eye on things ,if i have a problem i will definitely go to 65s on rear....the most highway driving i do is a stretch of two miles one way...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: