Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne Edition II Super Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: 1978 Champagne Edition II Super Beetle Reply with quote

This will be my first time starting a vehicle thread. Hope you all enjoy the pictures and comments on our latest addition to the family. These are some of the first photos we have as we just brought the car home today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The initial plan is do the safety items first-inspect brakes, replace tires (they are 25 years old) then drive it a little to see what we've got here. So far the car runs, shifts, and brakes pretty good during the pre-purchase road test.

The car looks complete to me but I'm no expert. As this is our first injected Beetle and first Super, any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by casamagana on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car would look so much better if you had the wheels detailed, while you are at it replacing the tires. This year vert normally came with 165 SR 15 tires with a thin white stripe. While the tires are off, why not take them to a painter, sandblast and repaint the correct silver. Dark cars look so sad with dark rims. Be warned that the late supers do not use the most common 4 bolt rims, if you think about putting aftermarket wheels on it. Due to difference in offset, the "old style" four bolted wheel make the rubbers stick out, especially at the front, and it doesn't look nice. There is a little code on your wheels, pressed into the steel, which says ET 36 or something, make sure that the replacement for that right side rear wheel has the same ET.

The top needs new tension wires, along the edges over the windows there are one wire on each side, that pull the outer skin tight when locking down the top. These seem to have stretched, or maybe even broken. They are quite cheap and I think they may be replaced without too much hassle.

Otherwise, these cars look really good in their original color if presented properly, I guess you are in for a repaint. Be aware that the aluminium chrome strip around the windshield cannot be bought new, so if you replace that rubber strip, take care not to damage the chrome strip when it is transferred to the new rubber. It can be polished to a bright sheen with a little elbow grease. If you look at most restored super verts, it is missing the chrome strip, since it is not reproduced. If by any chance there is a plastic coat surrounding the chrome, it may be bought by the yard at a VW parts outlet, but you need to look in the Golf/Rabbit Mk I parts bin.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see you can buy the rubber and the chrome strip?
http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/products/windshield-seal-4
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my all-time favorite beetle colors- nice car.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
From what I can see you can buy the rubber and the chrome strip?
http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/products/windshield-seal-4

That is actually a very good tip. It has been a few years since I struggled with this on my vert, the preshaped aluminium trim could not be sourced in 1998, so the plastic trim as shown by Chucks was my choice.

From the introduction, the super beetle had an aluminium profile chrome strip, but as the Golf/rabbit came onto the market, VW sought to save cost by introducing parts that interchanged between models. The aluminium strip has to be pre-shaped by special tooling, while the plastic strip of the Golf can be shaped into any form. I am not sure when they changed on the super Beetle, but the plastic strip looks every bit as good and does not corrode.

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super car, I have found myself coveting a late model Beetle convertible like yours. Congratulations on a really nice find, looks like you're going to have a lot of fun.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get the metal chrome trim for around the windshield. I just installed mine last summer. I hated that job. Mad

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/151-305D/f...onv_197379
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great tips. Thanks allsidius for the picture. I was planning on black wall tires but I've reconsidered. The white walls look very good with the white interior. I found my wheels are 4 1/2 J 15, 4/78, ET 41. No real work today but here are some pictures of one.

We'll keep these wheels. Now to find a local sand blaster. Anyone have a tire recommendation?
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ET41 is correct, I was wrong about ET 36. These are the original wheels for the car. There are many suppliers of tires, I would stay away from the cheapest oriental types. I know Vredestein has the proper 165 SR 15 blackwall, but for 3/4" thin white stripe you may need to look for Goodrich tires. Do not go for the wide white walls, they are for cars from the 50s. Expect to wait a week for the wheels to arrive, noone stores them anymore.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165R15-BF-Goodrich-3-4-WW-16515bfg34.htm

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/otherT...ort/165-15[/url]

casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update today. Appointments set for Sat. to have tires removed and Monday to have the 4 road wheels sandblasted in preparation for paint. Ordered the BFG thin whitewalls.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on your way to a great looking beetle. If the running boards are solid, it is a pretty easy fix to replace the rubbers only. Just a tip.

And your wipers seem ready for replacement too!

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely project car!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casamagana wrote:
Small update today. Appointments set for Sat. to have tires removed and Monday to have the 4 road wheels sandblasted in preparation for paint. Ordered the BFG thin whitewalls.

Good choice. Thin whitewalls are the way to go.

casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, does anyone know what the spare steel wheel looks like for a 1978 Super? I ask because I found a date code of 4/66, F, 4J15 on mine. I'm thinking this is off of a 1967 Beetle. Also, its a black and white wheel.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new ride, treat it right and it'll provide you years of joy.

Unless the wheel you are looking at is a wide five wheel, most likely the date code says 4/68, That would mean it's from a '68 Beetle which a black and white wheel would be standard. Originally your spare would should have been a sport rim.

Speaking of your rims, consider powder coating, it's more durable than paint and will be the last time you'll ever need to think about about the wheels again. I powder coated my rims 20 years ago and a little squirt of windex and they look as good as new. It's more pricey, but worth it.

I've got a '79 vert that I've owned since '83. Dump a pint of injector cleaner in every time you change the oil and you'll keep the injectors very happy. Also consider replacing all the soft fuel lines. The FI system is pressurized so when a line breaks, it can get messy. GermanSupply.com sells pre-cut kits with the proper German fuel lines and instructions.

Hopefully you keep the original color, the peach metallic is relatively rare in comparison to the other colors offered. Also, you choice of the BFG 3/4" white walls is a good one, they will look great on your car. Here's a shot of my '79 with the BFG white walls on it.

-jeffrey
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, register your convertible at

http://www.typ15.com/uk/index.html

You'll find a little more info about your special edition. For more info regarding Super Beetles, check out

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/

Great stuff.

-jeffrey
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casamagana wrote:
Quick question, does anyone know what the spare steel wheel looks like for a 1978 Super? I ask because I found a date code of 4/66, F, 4J15 on mine. I'm thinking this is off of a 1967 Beetle. Also, its a black and white wheel.

This sounds more like a type 3 wheel to me- too early for 4 lugs. Your spare should be identical to the others- as beetle manuals always recommended a 5-wheel rotation (like that ever really happened).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Time to look for another sport wheel.

Yes, it will stay the original color. The gas tank/spare tire well, under hood, and under dash paint is perfect and original. I intend only an exterior re-finish in order to preserve as much of the original paint as I can.

I spent time cleaning the interior today. Pics of paint label and rear seat labels in a little while.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics from today's cleaning session.

A trip to the sand blaster for the wheels in the morning. Then, need to order up a muffler and an egr filter.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is one sweet convertible, I never saw an unrestored under the back seat area as good as this! You are saving yourself a lot of money, and keeping the value of the car, by staying with the original color, but I guess it will need a repaint. No way of treating that peeling clear coat, which was typical for 70s metallic colors. Some cars started peeling in just a couple of years, as soon as the warranty was expired. Not just VWs, of course.

An interesting thread to follow, keep the pics coming!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: