Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne Edition II Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: An update and a question Reply with quote

casamagana wrote:
Saturday was a full day. Tucker Tire in Covina mounted our new BFG Silverstones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now look at how those wheels spiff up the car! But are they 165/15 with no low profile aspect ratio? Look a little small on the outside diameter from here. Maybe it is just the jacked up stance that does it. Let us see how they look with the car resting on the wheels!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new pictures today but I have a few updates. First and last visit of the day was to Gabriel Garcia's shop GabVWKey in Rancho Cucamonga. I dropped off 2 door handles, and engine deck lid lock and an ignition key. Mind you none of these were keyed alike. By the end of the day, everything works with one key. Thank you Gabriel! He is a Samba member. See his key service web site here: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jso...bvwkey.com

Second stop was the smog shop. The car didn't pass this go around, but it was still good to get a baseline. It did pass all visual and function checks. Tailpipe emissions show rich, high CO. Gave me a good excuse to order an LM-2. Very Happy Time to check out the head temp sensor and air flow meter. I'll use today's emissions readings and compare them to the LM-2's fuel ratio readings. Should be able to dial in the engine from there. I'm fairly certain I'll find some improvement in the air flow meter as there is evidence of someone fiddling around in there.

Lastly, stopped off at my friend's house to weld up a cracked exhaust support bracket. After finishing that job and relating my tail of woes, he pulls out an O2 sensor bung and plug. I'll be back to his house Saturday morning to have that put in. Then we'll be ready to get after the CO problem. That's all for now. Should have some more pictures tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: O2 sensor bung Reply with quote

Getting ready for the LM-2.

Looking forward to dialing in the CO and passing the smog check.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Let the tuning begin. Reply with quote

2 weeks ago the car failed a smog check for high CO readings. Prior to the smog check I cleaned up the AFM of orange sealant. Yup, someone was in there fiddling. I've installed an Innovate LM-2 so I can read the fuel mixture and hopefully adjust to something close to 14-15 air/fuel ratio. 12.7 won't work.

Question: should I continue to record my tuning attempts in this thread or start a new one? I intend to post the smog check test readings, compare them to the LM-2 readings, and to record the adjustments and subsequent readings. That's it for now. Time to road test and get those readings.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the scene here. That is a very nice 'vert and worthy of anyone's time. You may want to research that aftermarket cat, as I have seen the replacement cats, as this is, only last a short period of time, thus not meeting snif tests, as compared to the original more expensive part. I'm not in the smog program anymore, and glad I aint, but talking with a knowledgeable friend, Tim Caves at TC vdub, in Tujunga, the late air cooled cars, specifically '76 and later bus', are having a very difficult time meeting calif's smog standards. Good luck with your endeavor as many do not have the patience. Imagine paying up to $100 an hour at a dedicated shop for what you are doing!! I worked at Riviera VW, in Manhattan Beach, Calif, and most of the late air-cooled bays, air-cooled Vanagons, and water cooled Vanagons could not pass the smog tests, even tho some were still under warranty!!

There was mention of fuel additives here and when I was with the dealer the factory authorized fuel additive had the Chevron marking on the bottom of the bottle. Also, the late Bruce Anderson, tech wizard for Excellence magazine, stated that Porsche Cars of Germany suggested the Chevron (Techron) additive to be used prior to the oil change as it can dilute the oil.

Have you changed the trans oil, repacked the cv's and the rear wheel bearings? Food for thought.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Updated the ignition Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise rockerarm. Haven't changed the transmission oil yet. I will be doing that very soon. My thought was to get the car running well, get the transmission warmed up and then change the oil. Well it's running real good now. Just finished installing a MSD 6AL. What a difference in the LM-2 readings. I find it hard to believe but the car went from idling at 12.7:1 to 14.5:1 with no other changes. Making the MSD work with the fuel injection was a bit of a task but well worth the effort if I can get it to pass smog check. I'll be putting miles on it this weekend to monitor the readings with the new ignition. Pictures later this weekend.

I didn't know about repacking the rear bearings and CV joints. I thought as long as things were sealed and not leaking it was good. Sounds like that will be the next new service this car gets.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a beautiful and fun car. I look forward to seeing your progress--you make it look so easy already!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Updated the ignition Reply with quote

casamagana wrote:
Thanks for the advise rockerarm. Haven't changed the transmission oil yet. I will be doing that very soon. My thought was to get the car running well, get the transmission warmed up and then change the oil. Well it's running real good now. Just finished installing a MSD 6AL. What a difference in the LM-2 readings. I find it hard to believe but the car went from idling at 12.7:1 to 14.5:1 with no other changes. Making the MSD work with the fuel injection was a bit of a task but well worth the effort if I can get it to pass smog check. I'll be putting miles on it this weekend to monitor the readings with the new ignition. Pictures later this weekend.

I didn't know about repacking the rear bearings and CV joints. I thought as long as things were sealed and not leaking it was good. Sounds like that will be the next new service this car gets.

Morning, glad to hear you'll be enjoying a drive this weekend, as it will be hot again. I see you are knowledgeable enough to be "thinking outa da box" with that MSD. But in Calif part of the smog test incorporates a visual inspection to verify all original components, or approved aftermarket components, are present. My thinking a smog tech is gonna view that big ole red MSD box and flag you for it. Don't know if hiding it will suffice.
As far as the rear bearings and cv's, realize that for many this service is a forgotten and unpleasant job for many. Traditional grease has a service life. I find the site www.bobistheoilguy.com very informative regarding petroleum products. One local SoCal guy their highly rates the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic grease for both wheel bearings and Cv joints. Plus it is readily available around here. Personally, I've purchased the Swepco 101 grease from Pelican Parts, down in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. Good people and a decent web. As far as wheel bearing greases go there are plenty of quality greases and many folks choose based on product loyalty.
Hope this helps, Bill.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately the 6AL carries a CARB executive order number D-40-14 so no worries there. Even so, the new ignition harness will be wrapped and routed so as not to attract attention. The 6AL is under the driver's side back seat with the wiring harness following the same path as the fuel injection harness. If asked, I'll be able to demonstrate the ignition modification is legal. Time permitting, I'll have pictures this weekend.

Bob is the oil guy is a great forum. Tons of information there.

Thanks for the positive comments Beetlebaum.
VWChicky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this color! Keep up the good work! Dancing
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: More work Reply with quote

After a long drive, I came back to the house and dumped the transmission fluid.

Here's a picture the new muffler and tailpipe with the previous owner's installed catalytic converter.

And as promised here is the MSD 6AL installation. This is the engine side.

Here is the wire harness as it comes through the firewall. I tried to run this close to the stock computer. The original carpet will make it back in the car.

And here is the under rear seat install.

Driving around town and on the freeway the LM-2 is now showing 14.5:1 fuel ratios with no changes to the AFM. Tomorrow I'll try leaning the AFM a bit and see how it drives. I'd like to get to 15 or 16 under light cruise. We'll see how that goes.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: 5 steps forward, one step back. Reply with quote

Not a good way to start the day. Two blocks away from my house and on my way to work. I was stopped at a red light.

The good news is the insurance company considers it no fault of mine and waived the deductible. Great but now I get to look for German fender. I can't imagine a production/insurance body shop is going to want to fix or replace a 37 year old fender. The best part is nobody got hurt. Oh well, just metal, just a car, and we fix old cars.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That. Is a pain.
Good attitude though. No one hurt, and hopefully fairly easily fixed.
Tough to see, why can't people pay attention? Rolling Eyes

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any damage to the bumper of bumper mount? Someone experienced with dollys might be able to straighten that fender out.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I can see zero damage to the bumper mount and there is not a scratch on the bumper. Looks like the 1/4 panel also survived. Looks to me like just a fender.

I have no sheet metal skills and will not attempt to fix that fender. I am going to look for a metal man that can fix this original fender. If too expensive, I'll be looking for a good used one.

Fixing the fender will be easy. I'm just not looking forward to getting a fair settlement on something I'm going to be involved fixing. I'll have a body shop paint it but I really don't like other people working on my stuff. I'm funny that way.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it passed it's smog check today. Very Happy
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: 3 steps forward, 1 step back Reply with quote

Lots of stuff has been going right getting this ol' car back in good running order. Too bad about that collision last week. Oh well, time to start fixing the crunched fender.

Good thing the bumper and bumper mount look unharmed. I'm grateful it's looking like just the fender.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got lucky that it's only the fender.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking in the classifieds. No luck on a good used fender yet. We'll keep looking. Time to start hitting the local salvage yards. Happy Easter everyone.
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Putting it back on the road Reply with quote

So I haven't found a good rear fender yet. I decided to try my hand at metal work.

I'm very grateful there is no damage to the bumper mounts or the inner wheel well. The rest of it will go back together this week. Gotta' get ready for Bug In!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: