Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Johngofast INTRO and Newbie Volksrod Build
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnGoFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Johngofast INTRO and Newbie Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a few years, as my wife of 10 years has always wanted an older Beetle. She's always commented on Volksrods and said she wanted something "different like that". I've been restoring and building motorcycles for about 15 years and recently finished up all the projects I've been working on when I saw a '66 Volksrod project up for sale on a local classified, I snatched it up.

It's stripped and just a roller with a trans. I received a bulk of parts old a new with it including new gauges, trans raise kit, spare swingaxle transmission, spare swingaxle, bucket headlights, front end brace, new alloy door handles, shocks, half and quarter floor pan to replace pan on the battery side, and a ton of other parts, some of which I may post for assistance identifying!

It did not come with a motor, but I could see from the machining on the installed trans and the starter/bushing, that it had a 12V motor in it at sometime. I purchased a Superbeetle with a running 1600 in it and robbed the motor and some other various parts, then sold it. Only a few of the dash pieces were in the boxes so I searched the classifieds here on Samba and found a complete set with chrome, someone had cut the dash for a modern radio so I ordered a weld in replacement which will let me install a radio delete with chrome to match.

This is all for the wife, so most of these decisions are made by her after I present the options (and give my recommendation ).

Planned so far: Tight rod fenders, disc brakes all around, complete strip down, setup of trans raise kit, removal of body, paint and coat frame and pans, rebuild motor with upgrades (still learning and looking into this), she wants nice paint no rat on this one.

Learning about these motors and options for upgrades, looking into lowering as well, she still hasn't decided if she wants the top chopped or not :/

Please feel free to comment or tell me anytime you see me doing something "wrong" or unsafe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the land of misfit Vw's....

Cool ya have a Hot Rod Chick.. I've got one myself.
Rare and lucky to find...

No right or wrong way to create a Volksrod...it comes from within IMO.
So be sure to keep the wife involved with the creation since its to be hers Wink

I created my wife a Dune Buggy... I know her style idea all too well..
I asked... 1 question during the process..... Green or Orange?.. She said Orange thats all I needed to get the process started.. and finished... well . Anxious ...are they ever really finished????..

My Volksrod...was....is.... all me... Twisted Evil

We're here to help.. not critique'.

Use common sense when it comes to safety...
Ya ride motorcycles... so...you are already ahead of the game...
Nice side car...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnGoFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you know you have a keeper when she lets you bring home rusty piles of metal or is excited when you give them to her for Christmas like I did! She's also never once asked to park her nice new cars inside the garage.

So far with this build the only things she'll passionatly comment on are colors and seat type. Hopefully when the weather is a little better she will come get her hands dirty.

I dig your Volksrod, just read through the thread last night, looks like it was a lot of fun to build. The only time a project is ever complete is when you sell it to start the next one.

The hack is a Russian Dnepr (military sidecar) hooked up to a '81 Yamaha 650 twin, it's a blast.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Lots of good info on here.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnGoFast wrote:
Yeah, you know you have a keeper when she lets you bring home rusty piles of metal or is excited when you give them to her for Christmas like I did! She's also never once asked to park her nice new cars inside the garage.

So far with this build the only things she'll passionatly comment on are colors and seat type. Hopefully when the weather is a little better she will come get her hands dirty.

I dig your Volksrod, just read through the thread last night, looks like it was a lot of fun to build. The only time a project is ever complete is when you sell it to start the next one.

Well.. in my particular...case...

The wifes newer Hot Rod has priority parking.. and NEVER buy her car parts for gifts... Laughing

Wife = Comfy and colors.. exactly.... hands dirty... not so much.. but will drive the wheels off em'..
Doesn't complain too much... about my "salvage area"

And Thanks.. Operation X is a blast.. to drive and to be continued.. never "done" or to be sold... Wink
Maybe someday.. a nice paint job... in Root Beer brown and Black.. Twisted Evil

Yamaha twin... nice.. I have a couple of Jap bikes I snagged from my Pop
Honda 69 CA 77 305 "Dream" and a 75 CB 750 Four...
Love em'...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: